Join Gretsch-Talk Today

6120 or some upgrades to a 5120?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by fatfingers, Nov 13, 2017.

1. fatfingers

fatfingers Electromatic

Oct 15, 2013
    New Jersey, USA
    Does anyone have a good link to a list of model years and the neck profiles? There is a 2002 6120, full size that I'm in touch with the owner about. Thanks
    My 2007 5120 neck is very nice, hope it's about the same.

2. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Yep, but the point is be patient, especially thru the holidaze.

3. fatfingers

fatfingers Electromatic

Oct 15, 2013
    New Jersey, USA
    you realize you just told me to be patient....that's almost as bad as me asking a bunch of Gretschies if I should mod a 5120 or buy a 6120! :D

i've been looking at 6120's for a while. i think i can buy the one I'm looking at for $1500 with the original Gretsch case. if the neck is like my 5120 then i think i'm sold.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I'd advise going with the 6120. Over the years, I've seen a lot of people buy Electromatics, spend a lot of money on upgrades, then end up selling the Electro and buying a Pro Series. Might as well cut out the intermediate step. :)

emitex, JHowdy and Pete66 like this.
  5. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Do as I say, not as I do ;) Sounds like you have something in your sights - good luck.

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Nobody spoke about the orange G5420T in orange finish : it would also be an alternative if the 6120 is too costy...

A+!

7. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Money spent on mods are usually wasted money if you plan to sell the guitar you modded. Nevermind the value of the mods, they gonna give you the market value of you guitar as stock. One alternative could be keeping the mods reversible, so if GAS is calling and you have to sell the guitar you could bring her back to stock and sell the mods parts separately. Still you'll waste most of the money you spent anyway, but not all of them. Said that (and I'm saying this two days after I received my hard-moddes Jet Club..:D) if you have the noney, go with the Pro Line. On the Jet, for me it was a no choice as I spend 180 usd for the guitars and 300 for the mods. I already had the pickups but even considering buy a new set of TVJ, the sum would still be far away from the 1600+ I may need to buy a Pro Line Jet..

8. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    This is only my opinion but I wouldn't waste any money on moding a cheaper guitar.
    You should be able to get it playing just fine by setting it up correctly.
    Hold out n get the real deal.
    Because at the end of the day money spend on mods will generally not been gotten back when you sell.
    We have a few cheaper gretsches n other than setting them up we haven't touched then. They were bought for what they are good cheap little guitars.

9. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    You can find good deals on most models if you take ur time n look.

G DynaTron likes this.
  10. fatfingers

fatfingers Electromatic

Oct 15, 2013
    New Jersey, USA
    $1500 for a 6120 in excellent condition with a Gretsch case is a pretty great deal, no?

11. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    downloadfile.jpg
    Here's my 2002 jr.
    It's a lovely guitar

Trash Kidd and JHowdy like this.
  12. buzzanderson

buzzanderson Gretschie

Jan 19, 2015
    Centreville, VA
    Keep 'em all and buy more. Don't sell any now. Let your heirs sell them later.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Pre FMIC Gretsch are nice instruments, If you care for the value, I'd go with the '02 6120. Modding guitars it's a lot of fun as long as you don't want to have your money back. And hey, you could always mod your 6120 if you want. I did it, and I'm very pleased of the results.

14. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, if it was even a question i would've gone 6120

15. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    Did you mean; "Is $1500 a good price for a 6120?". Yes. I bought my 2008 5120 (incl. a tweed hard case) $400 used at GC 2 yrs ago. It looked brand new, not a trace of fret wear and still had the shipping foam under the bridge. I found some problems with it when I got it home. Same trouble you're finding. Also, 2 controls were bad (falling apart). I have always done my own guitar work. I needed a home for some good pickups that I already had. I could have replaced the bad controls but I removed them. I like one master volume control and one tone control, like a Telecaster.

16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    For a 5120, no. For a 6120, probably so. Others who own 6120s can chime in about that.

Edit: Charles Conner beat me to it.

17. fatfingers

fatfingers Electromatic

Oct 15, 2013
    New Jersey, USA
    yes, that was a typo, i fixed it.

i might try to scrounge up a second hand pickup for the bridge position of my 5120. i really like the guitar, a used pickup and a new nut might make it good enough to keep me happy for a while longer.

18. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Good points made here, pro and con. However, I even do upgrades to my high end guitars. For instance, I have upgraded pick ups on just about all my guitars ( Les Paul, Heritage etc. ). I upgraded the bridge on my ‘ 95 Heritage H555 to a Callaham. I was so impressed with the tonal improvement that I plan to put one on my ‘92 Les Paul. I find even premium guitars have some weak points or a change can make tone and playability of a great guitar even better. I think my only completely stock Guitars are an ‘93 American Strat and a 1959 ES 125T. When I buy a guitar, it’s never with an intent to “flip”, but to keep it which is why I am not concerned with re-sale.
    My first and only Gretsch at this time is a 2016 Fairlane Blue 5420 that I upgraded with TV Classics and a Roller Bridge.
    The guitar sounds and plays great. I particularly like the beefy neck on this guitar. I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used Tennessee Rose or Country Gentleman. But I intend to keep the 5420. Just thought I’d share my perspective.

19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Ok, let's speak about it. The 5420 is a great guitar and a fabulous second choice. And while the 5420 is closer than a 5120, it's still not a 6120. By the way, I own and love multiples of both.

20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Electros are pretty dang great guitars. Prolines are EXCELLENT guitars. Is the excellence worth the price tag? THAT is up to you. If you like what you have now......then consider a modest pickup upgrade(maybe a set of used HS Filtertrons)and well cut nut. Absolutely.

fatfingers and Mr. Lumbergh like this.