6120 or Falcon?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Robbie, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    If you grow a beer gut you need to get your right arm extended to play the Falcon. Don't ask me how I know!

dafreeze, Merc, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  2. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    The answer to this question lies in a riddle. Which guitar would boss hogg play and which one would be more likely to impress daisy duke?

Lionpotato and Robbie like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Out of all my old prolines, I miss my big Falcon the most....
    I loved the big bout, the feel, the look and of course the tone...Best of luck my friend and enjoy the journey!

Robbie likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    When you mention being a lifetime Strat player that strikes a chord (no pun intended) with me.

I can jump between radius and scale lengths without an issue. Every time I play my Tele, 6137, LP etc. I find myself wondering why I’m not playing my 355. Every other guitar doesn’t feel quite right. Causes quite a dilemma in my tiny little brain.

5. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    Tone post!!!!!!! My ssugr is tone post. It's the most alive guitar I've ever played.

Lionpotato likes this.
  6. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    A 6120 with TV Jones pickups through an orange amp with a Billy Brain is about the coolest thing you'll ever hear. Just throwing it out there.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Well my friend, the answer is obvious. The 355 has inbedded itself in your brain and you need to divest yourself of it in order to make clear decisions. I understand you don't want to sell it, so being the cool guy I am I will hold it in trust for you, but no longer than 20 years max.

Thank me later, I'm just trying to help.

T Bone and Robbie like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Again, both guitars are "iconic" in their own ways. Either model is a sweet guitar.

I had a beautiful '04 Falcon that I sold to buy this 6120.

20190114_121535.jpg

A while later, I traded another Gretsch that I had for another big bodied, long scale Gretsch.

20190116_150111.jpg

I love the characteristics of both models, and feel fortunate to be able to be the keeper of both for now.

I still love White Falcons, but this Phoenix fills the itch well.

I try not to think about the question "If you could only have one?"

A 6120 with a quilted top was on my bucket list forever, and this one with the "LTV" features and this particular top is my "lifetime" Gretsch. It ain't going nowhere as long as I'm still sucking air. Lol

Merc, Echocat23 and Robbie like this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I have both, i'm a 6120 freak, i love 'em,and if i had to choose it would be a 6120,but Falcon's are pretty nice too,btw,i haven't gigged in many a year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

T Bone, Mescalero, Merc and 11 others like this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The world needs more souls like you my Friend

Merc and Tony65x55 like this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Holy....wow

T Bone likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Finally, someone has the right answer in spades!

larryb and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Last night I had a fellow offer to trade me a new(ish) Explorer and stereo? 6120 on an even trade for my 355. Told him if I ever moved it, it was likely going to the ‘Shwa

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    You are such an awesome guy!

Robbie likes this.
  15. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    That’s the one issue I have with my LPB Falcon!
    At home, sitting and playing, not a problem. But on stage , standing up and moving around, hard to see the dots against the silver sparkle. I’m pretty good at playing by feel, especially rhythm, but for some signature riffs or or leads, in different stage lighting, it’s a challenge. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, it’s only been two gigs so far!

16. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    You know, if you like the 16”, 24.6” scale, and a slimmer body, you could look at the G6120T Players Edition.
    Or a PE of the Falcon.

PE models have what I, as someone who gigs a lot, consider essential upgrades...string-through Bigsby and locking tuners make for much easier string changes... having a treble bleed circuit so you can actually use the master volume control...HS Filters..strap locks, a thinner body and ML bracing, pinned bridge with rocking bar... all great for the gigging pro who wants a Gretsch but isn’t too hung up on strict traditionalism!

My tone- post model 6120 is normal size, but I have a Compton brass compensated saddle, thin double-sided tape to hold the bridge in place, locking Grovers, Callaham string-through on the Bigsby and strap locks.

Just a thought....

Robbie likes this.
  17. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    DBC3F931-38A6-4E50-96AE-1ACBA932ADBF.jpeg
    After an Imelda May show in L.A., we were hanging out and Darrel brought out the guitar for us to see... Falcon headstock, Falcon body, but 6120 scale neck, and all the Eddie Cochran stuff... Bigsby, P-90, G brand, western motif, and in Gretsch orange! Very cool! He’s a tall guy like me, and likes the bigger body, but prefers the shorter scale.

larryb, Echocat23 and Robbie like this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Sincerely appreciate your input. My Panther kinda/sorta does what the PE guitars do albeit no locking tuners and no string through, but your point is very well taken.
    If I go this route I’d likely want a full sized 6120 or Falcon.
    The frustrating issue for me is always “how much am I going to play this thing”. With my Band of 25 years winding up soon I’m not sure how much freelance work I’ll get making this a bigger issue for me. Again, appreciate your input.

19. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Elderly is an awesome store! Been shopping there since they opened in the 70s (in a garden level shop in East Lansing back then). Best music store in this part of the country. Of course their stock varies and rotates a lot, so you'll want to call first to see if they have what you want to compare.

I can't think of any in the Detroit area that are likely to have both, but you might call Huber Breeze in Fraser to check. After them, just maybe one of our several Guitar Centers just might have an example of each.

And you also already said the 16 inch body and shorter scale is more to your liking. Sounds like you are ⅔ of the way to a decision. Still on a purchase this large, it is certainly worth checking the options to be certain.

I would really like a Falcon of some sort to add to the collection. But I don't see either of my 6120s (RHH and Antifreeze Green Hot Rod) going anywhere to facilitate that.

@Echocat23 mentioned fretboard radius. The Setzer models being 9.5, most (all?) other 6120s being 12 inch as are most (all?) Falcons. You also mentioned you can switch between with no issues, but perhaps one does "feel better" to you? Might be something to consider.

Best of luck on the choice and the hunt. Always great to get a new high quality Gretsch in the stable!

Robbie and Echocat23 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice