6120 or Falcon?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Robbie, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Agreed! Put these stickers on mine.. 4119AD84-B0F9-40DC-9029-12933F486C29.jpeg

Merc and drmilktruck like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm a junior-sized guy playing a Synchromatic Junior, so I can't contribute much here except to echo the recommendation to go check them out side-by-side. You're only an hour from Detroit... @englishman, any suggestions on good guitar shops in your neck of the woods?

Robbie likes this.
  3. DonArcher

DonArcher Gretschie

May 29, 2014
    Ca
    Just bought the 6120 players edition, it isn't bad to me. Loved the Setzer Hot Rod version, only played the straight version in a Sam Ash one time.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  4. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Whoh! That’s too punk for me:)

sh4rkbyt3 and Trash Kidd like this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Bought my 6137 from Elderly Instruments in Lancing. May head there for a day

T Bone, thunder58, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Thanks my friend

thunder58 likes this.
  7. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Fretboard access on a Falcon is easier if that makes a difference. Same cut but the longer scale allows more of your hand.

Robbie and Merc like this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I've heard great things about Elderly. I didn't realize they were in Lansing! I'll have to stop there next time I pass through on my way to visit family in Chicago.

T Bone likes this.
  9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    They’re both fine guitars. I like the 6120 for its design features and color. But I’m not performing, so I am influenced by esthetic as much as anything. What makes me feel good, makes me want to pick up a guitar when I walk into my practice space? Between these two, I’d pick up the 6120. I know that’s an odd, maybe even superficial, criterion, but I’ve bought other things in my life just because they’re beautiful. Heck, I often select a wine based solely on the design of the label. (Full disclosure: I’m a retired graphic designer, which strongly influences my decisions about... well, everything.)

Robbie and section2 like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Elderly is who I used to sell my custom Gibson F5G mandolin back in 2006. It was a good experience but man I wish we had Reverb back then. I would’ve reached a larger audience faster. It took a little while to sell.

Edit: Sorry off topic, I hadn’t thought of Elderly Instruments so it did a trip down memory lane.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    To be honest, I lean towards the 6120 because I like the orange finish and you can see the wood grain. Appearance does play a factor for sure.

Merc likes this.
  12. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I forgot about these folks. I don’t mind the drive to Kitchener at all. I bought my 355 at Murch in Cambridge a whole bunch of years ago. Thanks

13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I lean heavily towards the 6120 for a lot of the reasons you mention.

14. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    The Gretsch 6120 is the absolute best guitar I've ever played on. No joke. Rockabilly aside hahahaha, with no bias. Its perfect. I've have been playing exclusively for 20yrs a 2000 Brian Setzer ssugr and as of last year I acquired a antifreeze green sparkle hot rod. 20 years of this guitar and the only time I've purchased another guitar, it's a new version the same guitar. Because they are perfect. And my ssugr is my baby but, I'm in love with the new hot rod. Its beyond words. These guitars have a 9.5 radius. And that's a huge deal for me. It's what my hands are turned to. And I think its something to think about. The 12 radius gretschs I've played are wonderful. But Its just not right. If you're into Falcons, consider the Phoenix. All Setzer's have the 9.5. I encourage a 6120 Setzer of your choice. Now can we petition for a Chris Cheney or Darrell Higham so we get a falcon headstock on a 6120 without the custom shop!!!!! Hahaha. Love this forum!! Good luck with your choice

Robbie and 19cad61 like this.
  15. 19cad61

19cad61 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    San Diego
    I love my Hot Rod too!

T Bone, Echocat23 and Robbie like this.
  16. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    I have both;
    A 2012 Chet Atkins G6120 with upgrades (string thru Bigsby, locking tuners, Compton saddle) has HS Filters and a tone-post. An absolutely AMAZING guitar! (16” body, 24.5” scale)

And I just got my dream guitar, brand new Falcon in Lake Placid Blue ( G6136T-59 LTDLPB). LOVE the blue with silver sparkle binding, elegant but not as garish as the white with gold, IMHO. It came with the string thru Bigsby, locking tuners, TV Jones Ray Butts Ful-Fidelity Filter’Trons. Trestle bracing, oil and paper capacitors, etc. (17” body, 25.5” scale)
    Glad I waited for this particular model! This bird SINGS!

I am a little over 6’5”, so the Falcon feels to me like what a 6120 feels to most average guys,,,,just right!!! The 6120 feels just a little small, especially regarding the scale. And onstage I play both electric (Falcon) and acoustic (Sj200 Gibby) so going from one “jumbo” to another is a smooth transition on playing feel!
    Prior to acquiring my baby blue, I was looking at Silver Falcons or Black Phoenixes.

Seems like just about everyone here in So Cal has an orange 6120... but, for now, I’m the first kid on my block with a blue Falcon! I kinda dig that too!

Lionpotato, Robbie and Yukimajo like this.
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Um.... Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!! Falcon!!!!

18. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    [​IMG]

T Bone, Merc, Echocat23 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Robb, after a lifetime of wanting one, I traded a gorgeous Country Club for a equally gorgeous White Falcon. A few weeks/months later a Blue Falcon came my way. They were beautiful in every way.

Two problems: 1. The sparkle binding obscured the side dots so badly that in bad stage light, they were totally invisible. In a few outdoor gigs it was better but seriously difficult to see them.

2. They simply didn't fit me. To my 5'6" frame they were monstrous and heavy. Combined with #1 it meant that they sat on the rack.

It wasn't the scale length. As you know, I am a lifetime Strat/Tele player and the longer scale is zero issue. Even my 17" Country Gent feels small in comparison.

In comparison, I have two 6120s, a half dozen Annis, two 5420s and a fantastic 5129 - whiched I gigged today for Canada Day because it's red! These guitars are very comfortable to me.

Sadly, I sold the Falcons. They were beautiful instruments but not for me.

Just my two cents bud! YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice