Join Gretsch-Talk Today

6120 advice

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Tony G, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tony G

Tony G Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    US
    Looking at a
    Gretsch G6120SSLVO Brian Setzer Nashville 2004 for sale. It's in great condition, barely been played. All original, TV Jones Filtertron pu's, case, paperwork, etc...

Curious if the 2004 edition is a decent edition for this model? Any negatives features to consider?

Thanks in advance

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Do you have a picture (s)? If you want it to sound like Brian's original '59 G6120, I would replace the TV Classic bridge pickup, with a TV Classic neck pickup (see my signature block).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Tony G likes this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    how's that possible when brian's 59' 6120 has Tv Jones Brian Setzer signature pickups in it? Tom also refretted it w stainless steel 6105 frets?

4. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The '04 model is a post FMIC guitar, your golden.. something to consider but its not a major concern, Some of the necks can feel sticky as they are all first sealed w a light poly coat and then nitro lacquer. If they didnt off gas properly they feel slightly gummy and have to constantly be hit w 0000g stainless steel. Which is why I sold mine and am happy w the SSU version. SSLVO is prettier though IMO.

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    That's great if you want Brian's "Big Band" sound, but not his "Stray Cats" sound.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    @Tony G

Which Setzer era do you prefer? Stray Cats or "Big Band"?

7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Except that the Brian Setzer SSLVO is based on his BRIAN SETZER ORCHESTRA sound, all of them including the Hotrod models. If you wanna go
    back in time, perhaps you'd have to get a hold of one of the Stray Cat tribute models for $$$.
    [​IMG]

I've played Brian's actual 59' and I've played Gretsch's first tribute model that was at Namm, and I'd choose
    the original 59' w the work Tvjones did to it. Brian loves that guitar like a child you dont see him going for
    the old guitar and the old pickup array. Even when the Stray Cats last reunion, he was rockin the guitars
    Tom worked on, its documented in the Live in Brixton DVD extra features.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    That's nice, but that's not what I asked Tony above.

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Tony!

Tony G likes this.
  10. Tony G

Tony G Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    US
    Thanks for the comments, this is what I wanted to hear...I lean more to the Stray Cat sound, but I love the big band as well. The PU advice helps, so thanks. Glad mostly to hear that there are no major issues with the year model.

ZackyDog likes this.
  11. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Tony,

That's a good SSLVO. Mine's a '04 too, has the slight V-neck profile, which I like.

Newer SSLVOs, I think '14 to present lost the V profile.

I'm not gonna worry about the pickups, the TV Jones are absolutely fantastic. And welcome!

12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I still think the Setzer models have the most atttention paid to them by Gretsch out of the box even down to the fret dressing and silly things like glue drips inside. They are pretty
    flawless, and should be :) Let me know if you want to go w some other Tvjones pickups. I'm on the dealer list at tvjones.com but I'm not a retailer. I'm an installer. I recently pulled the Setzer Sigs out of my new G6120SSU-BK and installed the most original of all Filtertrons, the Ray Butts.
    I feel like its turned a very modernized BSO era Setzer guitar into more of an alive and articulate vintage guitar w that Euro tour
    response. As you can see in this pic, Tom's gone to great lengths to recreate these and the payoff is wonderful IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bertotti, T Bone and Tony G like this.
  13. Tony G

Tony G Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    US
    Thanks Jet,

Glad to hear you like your '04. I was curious about the changes to the neck between years, good info. As far as the pick ups, I'm sure I'll be fine with the set up as it is for now. I appreciate everyones help and info with the pick ups as well.

Making the decision to buy has been much easier just knowing it's got good bones. I've been playing my '54 Elecromatic less and less since 1983 as it's too fragile and fussy, really stoked on buying the '04.

Thanks!
    Tony

14. Tony G

Tony G Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    US
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep your info once I sort this thing out. Really appreciate the info!

15. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Electromatic

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN

Can you describe the U shape neck on the newer Setzers in comparison to the previous spec. soft V? Does it have large shoulders? Generally thicker or thinner than the soft V? I have a 2013 SSLVO and am looking at getting a 2017 SSU.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Would love one of these just becasue I always loved Setzers playing. I am curious though what do all the acronyms mean? SSLVO SSU etc?

17. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I couldn't get on with the V profile, and sold two SSLVOs because of it. My new 6129 has the U profile and it feels much more natural. Horses for courses.

18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Setzer Signature, Lacquer, Vintage Orange

Setzer Sig, Urethane.

Bertotti likes this.
  19. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Electromatic

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I actually just went to a local guitar shop and played a new Hot Rod in Harbor blue and did not like it all. The shape wasn't so bad but compared to my SSLVO it seems to get wider as you move up the neck. It could have just felt that way due to the larger shoulder of the U but either way it just doesn't work for me since I play thumb over. The other thing I noticed was that the finish on that guitar seemed really thick and plasticy. It might have just seemed that way since it has such a fruity color but the lacquer finish on my SSLVO seems so much more natural and thin.