6120 .....a few niggles....?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by advid, Feb 12, 2020.

1. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    GRETSCH-6120---00.jpg

new6659, thunder58, Parttime and 6 others like this.
  2. advid

advid Electromatic

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    ..just purchased a second user G6120 dated 2005. Nice overall condition, plays lovely with good feel and action ect ect.... The Bigsby gold is much better than shown in my photo - almost 100%. I've got a Gretsch rocking bar bridge to put on and a soft spring when I start modding and cleaning it up and re-stringing it...
    BUT..a couple of niggles...
    The 3 way pickup switch is a bit stiff when switching back to middle position (also has a 'mud' switch but this is OK....Anything I can do to ease that up a bit ? (spray of some sort / WD40 or whatever..Don't want to upset the electrics tho')
    ALSO the jack plug socket is bit loose and wobbly - needs tightening (certainly don't want to have to get inside the guitar to fix that - anything suggested for how to tighten it up a bit ?)

3. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Beautiful guitar, great buy!

I had an issue with a sticking switch, I used a tiny drop of sewing machine oil to get it smooth again. This oil is very slippery and thin, and it tends to stick to surfaces. I'm not sure if it's bad for the electronics, but so far it's worked.

A loose jack can be tightened by the nut, make sure that the jack itself doesn't rotate. Take a plug for example, press it in tight and turn the nut slowly.

4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    When I hear "Gretsch", this and a white Falcon are the first 2 images that come to mind.
    Beautiful git!

Parttime and MKunie like this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I would stay away from any type of oils. They can give short term results and longer term problems for they attract dirt.

There are lubricants specifically for electronics that work very well on electrical contacts and dirty switches. Any hardware store will have a brand or two, ask them for some help finding it.

if you have trouble holding the jack in order to tighten the nut sometimes plugging in your guitar chord and pulling on it gently can hold it enough to get the nut snug.

If it is not the nut, but rather a sloppy loose fit for the chord there is a longish metal tab inside as part of the jack that can at times be carefully bent back into shape. The jack needs to come out through the F hole on a 6120. You would be better off just getting the jack replaced, it would not cost much.

good luck, it is a beautiful guitar

section2 likes this.
  6. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    MKunie likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Advid,lovely geet sir!:cool:

8. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    humble thought, dont take it too serious please:

that word in the title of the thread... closely resembles the N-word.
    In the states the term also is close to the word “nigling,” another racist slur hurled by White supremacists to demean Black children"

MKunie likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice