6120-1960 questions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by kristianf, Sep 29, 2019.

1. kristianf

kristianf Newbie

Sep 29, 2019
    Norway
    Hi!

New member here.
    My brother bought a newer 6120 earlier this year and i kinda got bit by the bug.
    Does this guitar look right to you guys?
    It's sold as a 6120-1960. It looks legit to me, and the the zero fret and non V-cut Bigsby seems to be correct for this model.
    Based on the serial number i guess it's a 2004 and the factory should be Terada?
    Anything suspicious? What would the value be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JC higgy likes this.
  2. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to the group kristian. Looks right to me. 1400 - 1800 U.S. seems close. Other, more knowledgeable will be along.

MKunie likes this.
  3. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Gretschie

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Hmm, that first shot with the plectrum stuck between the neck and the body doesn't look good! Apart from that, it is a Terada factory output made July 2004. I will have to check my catalogue when I get home, but the pickguard colour is correct - just looks new. I have a copy of Tony Bacon's book at work and a quick look shows on page 67 he has a photo of the 1960 model with a V-cut Bigsby. So, looks right for the 2014 re-issue less the V-cut Bigsby. Nice guitar but check the neck is not coming away from the body.

Outlaw likes this.
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    my 1st thought when I saw that picture was 'you shouldn't be able to get a pick in there !!!!'
    It might be just the photo but the bigsby doesn't seem aligned properly to me?
    Other than that it certainly looks legit.

pilgrim and thunder58 like this.
  5. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Yes, excellent point. The first thing I thought was it was an odd place for a pick but I did not make the obvious connection to the neck joint. The question should definitely be asked.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Looks legit to me. The pick can be stuck underneath the fretboard at this point because it is floating above the arched tob.

Ric12String and G5422T like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome to the forum friend :) I have a 6120-1959 and it's a great guitar just like yours ;)

8. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    True, the "JT" built units have the floating neck in this area. Nothing wrong there.
    The rest of the guitar looks legit, but what the heck is behind/next to the bridge????

That's not factory.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I think it's the JD models that have the floating fretboard, usually seen on Annies from that factory. I've had 2 6120-60s, both JT that didn't have floating neck extensions.

10. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Every "JT" that I've owned has had the floating board extension, including a '98 6120.

Haven't owned a JD unit, but the few I did see, did not have the floating extension.

11. kristianf

kristianf Newbie

Sep 29, 2019
    Norway
    Thanks guys!
    I compared with other 2003-2005 models, and everything seems to be right.
    I guess i'll know in about a week! I bought the guitar, and sent a friend of mine to pick it up, as i am out of town this week. He's a Gretsch guy and has owned a couple of 6120s earlier and he said everything checked. According to him the guitar was great and as it was local and the price was really great, i just had to go for it. I borrowed my brothers 6120 and ended up using it for half an album recording, so there was no way around getting one for myself. :)
    NGD post as soon as i get the guitar.
    Thanks again!

calebaaron666, JC higgy and G5422T like this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome aboard Kristianf!

Congrats on the new geet!

kristianf likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice looking guitar! I am however always irritated by pucks stuck in like that and I have no idea why!

14. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    That's what I was thinking. A piece of tape to cover scratches? or just mark the bridge position?

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It needs one of those pick holder thingy's stuck to the front, remember those awful things?

Bertotti and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yup! And they were always loud fluorescent colors so’s to show off just how pick-prepared you were.

wildeman likes this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, looks fine. My 6120-1960 is a bit older than this one and doesn't have the v-cut Bigsby either. Pretty typical of pre-FMIC in those years - they didn't always get the historic details right. However, most of them (and they were pretty consistent about this) came with Space Control bridges, so likely an earlier owner swapped that out. You might also have a replacement pickguard too - they didn't originally come with the signpost "Nashville" stamp, at least in the early years.

The tape is probably somebody's attempt to mark the bridge position. It's not pinned - totally floating.

FWIW, the 1960 is generally regarded as one of the better pre-FMIC "revival era" guitars. I've had mine 20 years now, sounds and plays great!

Congrats - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    G5422T likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I hardly use flat picks anymore, i shall stick one one every guitar i own as an act of rebellion, preferably with a cool band like Skid Row emblazoned on them.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You mean the ones that would hold 7-8 or more picks. The body of the guitar is no place for picks. I remember seeing one on the thumb side of the neck! WTH nuttiest thing I saw a kid try. I don’t mind one stuck on the strings though but since I got a pick pouch as a key chain that’s where they go. Or an Altoids tin or such.

20. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    I have that Dunlop pic holder that attaches to my mic stand and holds a bunch of pics. I drop my pics often during a live show and hate to go digging in my pocket! Never thought of trying to wedge one on my guitar somewhere. Hmmmm...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice