5E3 with 3 x 10" speakers is here!!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by GreatGretsch, May 2, 2009.

1. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Now I have to build it:eek:...This is the scary part!!!

The Weber kit came in just a little over two weeks after I ordered it. I had a few great communications with Weber prior to it being built. It was packed very well and appears to be in great shape. Both the chassis and amp were wrapped in several layers of bubble-wrap with corner packaging and plenty of newspaper (The Indianapolis Star).

Yes it is Purple with a salt and pepper grill.....Guess what color my next Gretsch (Hot Rod) will be.:D

Well.....here are the 1st pictures.

Attached Files:

2. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    a few more photos...

Attached Files:

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Looks good! Don't forget to inventory everything! And step by step photo's!!!!

4. coolbus18

coolbus18 Country Gent

Feb 27, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Cool amp! Let us know about the building. Also , where did you buy it? :cool:

5. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    What's the depth of that cab? I'm just sitting here looking at those big'ole bells on those alnicos thinking "Dang I hope they clear the tubes!"

6. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    This is a custom Weber kit. It is not normally made with a 3 x 10" cab and required a different transformer to drive the speakers.

Hey Roadjunkie....It measures 9.5" and I already checked to see if the chassis fits...no problem. The cab is a 5E7 (Bandmaster) made to fit a smaller 5E3 Tweed deluxe chassis.

7. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Well thats good because my next suggestion was Marconi ST coke bottles. I love them tubes!

8. GuitarPlayer

GuitarPlayer Electromatic

Apr 19, 2009
    Colorado
    Very cool. Congrats!

The 5E3 circuit is very straight forward. You should have no trouble building it. I'll be looking forward to your experience and final evaluation. I'm thinking it will sound awesome once the speakers are broken in. Loud too :D

9. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Ooooh Boy, I can't wait for this either. Looks awesome GG. Been pondering something like this myself.

Attached Files:

10. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Thanks gang! I'll do an inventory today and hopefully fire up the soldering iron this evening. I manage my boy's baseball team and we have a game this afternoon.

Was that photo taken at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? If so, I was there a few years back and enjoyed it.

11. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

don't know, just popped up when googling purple people eater images

Would really love to go to the Hall of Fame. And the rolly coaster place in Sandusky.

12. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Man that looks good, your going to have a blast, both ways !! ( building and the satisfaction) ...! :)

13. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    We are thinking of taking the kids there this summer (Cedar Point). I don't think they would appreciate the Hall of Fame though. They are 9 and 14. That will have to be a weekend get-a-way for my wife and me.

14. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I'm 10 minutes from Hersheypark. I haven't been there since the kid was arounf 14 or 15.

15. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Progress Report.

Well...I'm finally sniffing solder! This is the first time I have ever done anything like this other than fixing cords and small easy things on my amp. Feel free to correct any mistakes that I have made.

My toughest problem is prepping the yellow cloth wire. It frays very easily, but the red cloth is simple to work with.

I printed the layout of the amp to actual size.....well pretty close to actual size. When you lay the paper in the chassis the components and the holes for the tubes and jacks line up very close. The template is just a bit larger. I add an inch or so to each wire to be safe.

Attached Files:

16. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Update photos:

In between managing my boy's baseball and my daughter's softball games, I have been able to get a little soldering done. I have been able to do some soldering in between period breaks of the Pittsburgh Penguins games also. It calms my nerves during the breaks.

Go Pens!!!

EDIT: Yes....the yellow wire still sucks!! It just refuses not to fray. I don't know what the deal is. I have to give it a haircut after each time I strip it.

Attached Files:

17. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Looking great GreatGretsch! nearly done, eh? I bet you're looking forward to hearing it all finished! :D

18. GuitarPlayer

GuitarPlayer Electromatic

Apr 19, 2009
    Colorado
    Looks great! You'll be making beautiful music with it in no time!

There must be an efficient way to strip that cloth wire ... though you appear to be almost finished so it doesn't matter much at this point. I wonder if somebody over at the Weber Amps Forum has a good method?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the finished project. Some sound clips would be very nice too. Keep up the good work! :)

19. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I don't know if you are doing it or not, but it helps to put solder on the tips of the wires first. I just thought it might be a good tip.

20. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    That is one eye catching amp.I bet it will sound as good as it looks.I should have done what your doing,as that seems to be the best "All Around" way to get what amp you want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice