'57 tone circuit question.

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by wildeman, Jul 21, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    So I've had to completely rewire my Streamliner, the wire had deteriorated and there was no saving it. My question is, why did they use this double pot in the tone circuit? Its not working and i need to replace it, I'm thinking a single pot should suffice. 20190707_091844.jpg

2. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Can't see the connections but I can see two caps. So I suspect that it's wired so that one is increasing while the other is decreasing.

ronbo and wildeman like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A blend or balance knob?

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ahhh... Gretsch '56 Jet Firebird tone pot!

EA8AC7A8-FFDA-462F-BC04-0C3C18072027.jpeg

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The Streamliner only has one pickup.

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    20190707_091855.jpg 20190707_092957.jpg
    Best pix i have right now, i just wired the pickup to the vol pot and put the whole mess back in the guitar. I ain't pullin it back apart till i have some info:mad:;)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes. The Gretsch dual tone pot much like the TBX is treble cut one way, bass cut the other.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    So it's essentially at zero when its half way?

j.s.c likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ideally! I think so.

j.s.c likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Any info on an exact replacement appreciated ( value and whatnot). Actually looks like one is 250k and one is 500k! That wont be hard to find:rolleyes:

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  14. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I found the same pot configuration on my buddies '56 Silver Jet. I searched for a couple of weeks and never was able to find the 550K/250K combo in a double pot. The pots were shot, so I was never able to hear what a difference it made, so ultimately I just wired it for a 500K and called it good. It worked fine and sounded great, and my friend is never going to sell the guitar, so he didn't care about keeping it original, just wanted it functional. The biggest problem I had was the wiring was so old it just kept cracking and shorting every time I moved the harness. I eventually had to nearly rewire the whole thing with new shielded wire.

If you do find that pot combo, I'd love to know where...even though my buddy didn't care, I still want to rewire that guitar correctly!

wildeman likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Premier guitar magazine has an excellent modding column by Dirk Wacker.
    He did a two part feature on modding the TBX. It’s worth checking out. He basicly said it was pointless looking for a diy stacked or stereo pot solution. Fender has these pots custom made.

wildeman likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's exactly how these wires were, i replaced them all including the wire to the DeArmond......it ain't original if it don't work! I will keep looking for the pot, and i may try to take this one apart and fix it.

17. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Yes the tone pot is double cut with a std treble cut cap but also a bass cut on the other. So it should be on the middle to be close to the neutral position.

This is a great tone shaping solution, I love them with Dearmonds.
    The counterpart of the versatility is that they're sucking a lot of volume, that's why they came with 1MOhms pots (at least on master volume) to compensate the loss for the tone stacked pot (I saw later 57 models with 1MOhms as MV but 2 x 500K for individual volumes, and this combinaison was even better to my ears).

I will tell you a secret if you tell nobody, bypassing tonestack will give you a kind of built-in booster with at least 25% more volume. A little mod for men but a giant step for mankind : look the miniswitch under the pickguard !

IMG_8574.jpg

18. John Drummond

John Drummond Gretschie

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Try this one wildeman
    Fender 0990847000 (Dual 500k/250k Stacked pot) Not TBX control

also here's a couple of older threads on the vintage wiring schemes.
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/the-right-way-to-wire-dynasonic-gretsches.158392/
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/56-streamliner-wiring.130961/

A link to Crayparts.de for their 1955-1957 Luxe stacked tone pot cap kit.
    https://www.crazyparts.de/electroni...-gretsch-6121stack-tone-pot-capacitor-kit.php

Ricochet, wildeman and new6659 like this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That is a gorgeous axe!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice