5422TG FIRST GRETSCH = AWESOME !!!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by ejshd1973, May 9, 2018.

1. ejshd1973

ejshd1973 Newbie

May 9, 2018
    ohio
    This is my first Gretsch and I have to say this guitar is amazing. The tones are unbelievable, I do have one question. I get tendinitis sometimes and the 11's might be a bit much. However the tone and tuning stability is amazing. Will switching to 10's effect these things dramatically ? Any input would be appreciated

pmac11 and MattMcEwen like this.
  2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, ejshd1973! Changing to 10s shouldn't be a problem, you may have to adjust the action and the intonation slightly.
    welcome mat 19.jpg

3. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Welcome to GT. My 1st Gretsch was a 5422. I changed the 11-49's that came on the guitar to 10-46's and with a couple of very minor adjustments, as Audept pointed out, it played exceptionally well. Your enjoyment of the guitar will be enhanced if you spend a little time adjusting PUP heights..IMHO.

4. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    Nice and welcome, like Robbie I also had a G5422 and changed to D'addario EXL110's and all was sorted with a few easy adjustments

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How's it goin'?

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your first (but likely not your last) Gretsch.

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk ejshd1973!

Congrats on your new 5422!

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT!

First of many ..........;)

8. Garruchal

Garruchal Electromatic

Oct 21, 2013
    Seattle
    I have a 5420t and a 5448. I had some tennis-elbow problems a year ago, and put 9's on all my guitars. They sound fine to my ears, but I had to raise the pickups a small amount. I tuned the 5420 down a whole step, so I put 11's on it again; that gives me a similar feel as the lighter strings but keeps the action from being too loose (the dropped tuning is for a recording project, not because of the elbow inflammation.)
    In my experience, the biggest problem with lighter strings is intonation; I'm learning to be much more exact with my finger placement. Differences in tone are there, but I can mitigate them with pickup and amp adjustments.

russmack likes this.
  9. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Welcome to the worlds' largest online adult daycare and longest running session of digital show and tell. Great bunch here... everyone's pretty friendly, willing to share what they know, and offer encouragement. Nice new guitar!

Before you drop down a gauge, try D'Addario NYXL 11-49s. I don't know how they've done it, but I find these a lot easier to push around than other brands.

Lastly- we love pictures here. Let's see your new G5422T!

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    thunder58 likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Congrats :D

I tried to make 11s work for my G6122-1962 but to me, they inhibit twang and bending. I used them for several years.

I'm also convinced that George Harrison made his own, lighter-gauge (~10s) string set (much like James Burton, Robbie Robertson, Jimmy Page, etc.), until lighter gauge strings were created. Brian Setzer has been using 10s for decades, and his tone is unmistakably Gretsch (of course his amp and speakers complete the tone/sound).

I remember Brian Setzer stating (sorry, the Guitar Magazine name and issue escapes me), that Gretsch guitars don't twang with anything heavier than 11s. To me, they don't twang enough with anything heavier than 10s.

Enjoy your new G5422TG :)

MikeSchindler likes this.
  12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    For the same reasons Zacky stated I find 10s more advantageous to use on all my guitars which includes my new 5420 t . I just changed them tonight Daddario 10s in fact which were on it new.

ZackyDog likes this.