5422T upgrade

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by L Robbins, Feb 22, 2020.

1. L Robbins

L Robbins Electromatic

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Probably has been asked to death but, any problems upgrading my 5422 Blacktops to a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge pos, and a Supertron in the neck? looks as if it should be fairly straight forward.
    Thanks for any advice. been searching older threads and dont see any major problems. Anyone done this exact upgrade? Regrets?

2. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    Should be a fairly straight forward switch. I did tv jones on my 5420tg just make sure you get the universal mount pickups and the adaptors for the side with 2 screws. I believe tv jones also sells pickup rings to conver to 2 screws instead of 3.

3. L Robbins

L Robbins Electromatic

May 3, 2017
    USA
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I installed the same two pickups in my 5420. As jay_mci said, the TVJ adapters make the job a snap. You’ll love the outcome!!

If you want to go whole hog, order the TVJ wiring harness at the same time; I believe they’ll even solder the pups into the harness for a nominal fee. I’d consider adding a treble bleed to the master volume if you go that route (I don’t think it’s standard). Some may consider it a little pricey, but you’ll only need to do surgery once that way.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  5. L Robbins

L Robbins Electromatic

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Thanks for tip for the tone bleed. Was considering it. Have it on one of my Tele’s.
    Ordering pickups this week!

6. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I'm in the process of upgrading my 5422. I've just swapped the bridge for an aluminium Compton. I'd recommend that. I've also got a set of Radioshop Radiotrons waiting to be fitted. Should get those in soon, I have the mounting kit for those. Another mod I like and did to my 5420 was the reverend soft spring, feels really good to use.

7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Treble bleeds come standard on 5422s as of around 2016. If your guitar doesn't say "Electromatic" on the headstock, it's a newer model which should already have a treble bleed.

GlenP likes this.
  8. L Robbins

L Robbins Electromatic

May 3, 2017
    USA
    yes..thanks! I remembered that after I posted about the treble bleed. Mine already has it :)

GlenP and section2 like this.
  9. L Robbins

L Robbins Electromatic

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Oh Happy Day!
    Be a while yet since NYS is having a 2 week "Stay home" but soon my guitar guy will install these for me .
    While I am busy at work making toilet paper and facial tissue!
    IMG_0723 (1).JPG

10. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Oh happy day!
    You mean like this:
    08305FF2-1E2A-4A19-8F0F-61CE3211915C.jpeg
    :cool:

11. L Robbins

L Robbins Electromatic

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Oh yeah!! Just like that. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice