5420t vs centerblock Electromatics

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by collama, Apr 11, 2019.

1. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    I’m eager for a new guitar and I’m thinking about another Gretsch. I have a 5620t, the one from a few years ago with the “cat’s eye” holes and dual coil super hi lo tron for the neck pup. I really enjoy the sound, both at home and with a band.

I’m considering a 5420t. I’d use it solo and with the band, clean and with light overdrive.

I’m trying to decide if it would be different enough from my 5620t. The main differences are centerblock vs hollowbody and that neck pick-up.

Any thoughts or input from folks here? How do the hollow bodies compare to centerblock guitars for sound and feel?

Thanks!

2. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I owned a cat eye 5620 and I have a 5420 now. They are very different. The big plus, the 5420 weighs a fraction of that very heavy 5620. I like the tone more on the 5420. I’m not sure how the fully hollow 5420 would be in a live situation for you depending on the volume levels you perform.

Both are very well made guitars.

2CA84BD8-A50D-4EC6-B29D-164A289C18CC.jpeg
    89F46CA8-EA78-4FDD-9ED6-FAACD395331B.jpeg

sh4rkbyt3, Merc, ponca and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I have a 5620t and a 5120 with Surf 90s.

If I want to rock the 5620t is killer. If I want to be a touch more subtle, the 5120 nails it.

Live the 5120 has been a touch wild on the feedback front. 20180622_212155.jpg

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Semi hollows can take loud volume and gain better than full hollows. My 5420 can howl with feedback on stage, but I like using the feedback to make cool sounds.

DennisC likes this.
  5. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I have a blue 5420 and like if very much -- but then I picked up a three-pickup 5622 and it became my favourite gigging guitar. I really like the Super Hilos -- combined with the switching system, this guitar does offer a lot of tonal options The only downside is perhaps the weight, although it does balance well.

20161230_230346.jpg

collama likes this.
  6. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    A set of Doug’s Plugs will prevent any feedback on a full hollow body. They work great!

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo it's a lot about positioning. I played my junior hollow body at practice with a heavy drummer and it would howl at certain angles. At a gig last week I played my jet and dye to a small stage, was very close to my amp but not as loudly as with the drummer but it would still howl Iif I forgot to dampen the strings.

Feedback has only been an issue for me when not playing, it hasn't been an issue while playing (and in fact I love the ability to conjure it at will like a howling warlock).

calebaaron666 likes this.
  8. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks all. I’m not too worried about feedback because I always bring two guitars, so i can switch for the more rockin tunes.

I’m just wanting something new and trying to figure out where to go.

Even though it’s been out for a while I just realized that the latest 5622t has two of the Super Hilo Tron pickups. I love those pickups. And it’s about 2 pounds lighter than my 5620t. Hmmmm...

9. AllenK

AllenK Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    UK
    Can't go too far wrong with the new 5622t. I love mine.

10. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Interesting. I have one, spectacular guitar but I was after a Gibson kinda tone in a thin line 335 so I just got an Eastman.

It must be almost 2 lbs lighter than my 5620 was.

Shameless self serving plug to follow:

I gonna sell the guitar, PM me if you are interested. PM @Jellyroll Horton if you want to know what it is like to buy a guitar from me.

3C320BA0-3CB7-43ED-85DF-06BF2C12DE13.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice