Join Gretsch-Talk Today

5420T tuner question.

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Dougf, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Dougf

Dougf Electromatic

Jun 21, 2017
    southern minnesota
    I am surprised I can not find this info anywhere. Anyone know what size the tuner holes are in the newer Electromatics, or what size tuning bushing is required?

2. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
  3. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I'm looking into the Hipshot Locking Tuners Upgrade Kit for my 5420T. It appears to be a simple drop in. No drilling or reaming, etc. required. I found the following on YouTube. A Gretsch Electromatic install is demonstrated beginning at 5:58 in the video.

Wulfgang likes this.
  4. Dougf

Dougf Electromatic

Jun 21, 2017
    southern minnesota
    I ordered some...I will post my results after they arrive...

5. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Nice solution! Anyone know who sells these tuners with upgrade kit?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. Dougf

Dougf Electromatic

Jun 21, 2017
    southern minnesota
    My response from Fender,

Chase Miller
    (Fender)

Jul 4, 12:27 MST

Hi Doug,

Our specs don't go that detailed on the bushings but the peghole is very close to 11/32". If you're looking to put a set of replacement tuners on the instrument, look for tuners that fit that hole size. There are plenty of options out there.

Regards-

Chase Miller

Representative, Consumer Relations /U.S. Direct
    Sales

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
    17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100

Scottsdale, AZ 85255

7. Dougf

Dougf Electromatic

Jun 21, 2017
    southern minnesota
    Today I got the hipshot tuner upgrade kit, it does NOT fit the 2017 version of the Electromatic. Luckily I think I only need to ream out the tuner holes a small amount, shouldn't be a big deal. They are for sure not a simple drop-in like with the older Electromatic in the video.

8. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Thanks for that follow-up info Dougf. The video then is quite misleading and you might want to consider leaving feedback on that YouTube page for the poster and it's viewers. Much appreciated. Pics if possible when you finish the install. Thanks. :- )

9. Dougf

Dougf Electromatic

Jun 21, 2017
    southern minnesota
    I did leave a message in the YouTube video. Reaming out those tuner holes was a lot more trouble than I anticipated, but all in all everything went well. Will post pics when I am able.

emitex likes this.
  10. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I finally had a chance to install a set of Hipshot Grip-Lock open tuners on my 2016 5420. As mentioned earlier by Dougf, they did not fit the existing headstock post holes. I had to ream them out a little bigger. When finished, the actual install of the hardware was easy enough and works well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Ricochet and Wulfgang like this.
  11. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Well, I sure had to learn the hard way the first time when I did Sperzels on my PJ. You know that sick feeling you get when you go for it and you drill blasts out the back of the headstock? If you haven’t experienced that feeling, it’s a good way to learn..... once!

12. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Gretschie

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    Seems like having to ream defeats the purpose of picking up this upgrade kit. It came out looking nice though!

T Bone likes this.
  13. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I added my YouTube comments now also under yours, in agreement.

14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Do not use power tools to ream out the tuner holes. Pick up a tapered hand reamer. It doesn't have to be one specifically for luthier work there are cheaper options. You can find them pretty cheap on ebay, amazon etc. Just ream a little at a time and keep test fitting till you hit the sweet spot. I picked up a set on Ebay for less than $10 that work perfectly.

2PCS-Mayitr-Handheld-Tapered-Reamer-Set-1-8-1-2-Inch-5-32-7-8-Inch.jpg_640x640.jpg

15. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Yep, that’s how I did it. Learned a long time ago to never use a power tool on your guitar. Closest is only for a string winder. And now with the locking tuners, that isn’t even needed...LOL It was still a pain.

Tinman46 likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I always ream out the holes with a drill. No calamities as of yet.
    I do take off the sharp edge first(with a buckknife no less) so the drill bit doesn’t ‘catch’. :)

17. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I just stumbled on this video from the same channel of the previous video in my reply #3 above. Thought it to be an interesting and informative addendum to this topic. :- )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

So out of curiosity, does anyone know of a set that are adrop in replacement?

Did anyone measure the holes before and/or after reaming them out?