5420t bridge tuning

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Parttime, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Hello,
    I just joined the forum and I have tuning question.

I have a 5420t with a pinned bridge that needs to be moved back slightly.
    I intend to oblong the holes once I get it off the guitar.
    My question is, what is the best way to take it off? It seems to be stuck pretty good.

2. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Are you not able to adjust the bridge saddles?

Les Pedals likes this.
  3. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I have space control bridge on it.

4. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Sounds like you either switched a while back or are switching to a space control bridge. I’ve never had that bridge but unless I’m wrong, you can’t adjust the intonation which I’m guessing is your reason to move it.

Unless you really love the bridge or money is just really tight, I would sell it on Reverb or someplace after buying a new bridge (or throwing original back in while it’s for sale), instead of enlarging the hole to try and compensate. There are better bridges that will likely make you happier. But maybe someone else will chime in.

Les Pedals likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    These are ‘secured’ bridges, meaning the bridge posts are threaded into the top and underlying bracing. They should have a hex end on the post. Get the right hex wrench and unscrew the posts enough to release the bridge.

You will have to find some shorter screws of the right length to do what you ask—making an adjustable pinned bridge. Hey Gretsch is doing this now, my ‘59 Vintage Select G6120 has this feature.

6. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I wasn’t aware any of the new pinned bridges being adjustable to slide. Sorry, I’m having a hard time visualizing. Are they simply oval and do both pins have this feature? I’m pretty sure my pinned bridge on my 125th Anny doesn’t

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    New thing I read about on the other Gretsch forum, meant to post there too. The oblong routed channels allow the bridge base to slide for intonation adjustment, but still keep the bridge from moving up and down from aggressive strumming. My ‘53 VS Duo Jet doesn’t have this feature.

7A6721D3-B0D4-402D-A76A-C290EB6D5227.jpeg

8. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    That's interesting. Are those channels wide enough to allow base angling, or can you just move the base in straight angle, up and down?

9. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Wow! Those pins are really hidden well. I imagine it helps the intonation a little bit with a bar bridge while doing truss rod adjustment, but could be wrong. Really different then what I imagined. Thanks!

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I got the space control bridge for that Setzer look. I know there are better ones out there but it looks cool.

Anyway I backed out the screw on the high E side and shortened it so it will slide back to fix the tuning issue.

There is still one more problem.
    The G string plays to sharp when I mash it down at the second fret like playing a D chord. It only does it on the G string at the second fret.
    I do play with a heavy grip and if I ease off of it a bit it gets right but that’s a hard thing to control when playing.

I would like to post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do so.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, enough width to allow an angle. That's partially how I found out about them. I was setting the guitar up and found the bridge moved a bit when I nudged it. I was able to dial in the E and e string intonation. I thought "oh they don't pin these models", even though the specs say it comes with a pinned bridge. Anyways I saw a post on GDP the other day showing the bridge base of another '59VS. I checked mine, it's the same.

JHowdy and Merc like this.
  12. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Sharp notes on the first frets mean nut slots cut too high, but if you get it on the second fret only, I don't know. Have you checked already if the second fret is badly worn and thus lower than the other frets? Maybe just under the G string?

...oh, heavy grip and unwanted bending. Happens to me too. Could you consider changing to a thicker string set?

BorderRadio and Merc like this.
  13. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I probably should try that as well as working on a lighter touch.

JHowdy likes this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Those pins are the method that was used on pro-line models. The 5420T had a "secured" bridge which was an entirely different arrangement. See this photo:
    Full page photo-page-001.jpg

15. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Yes that’s exactly how mine is

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018