5420 With Brian Setzer Tv Jones pick ups

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ErickT94, Feb 20, 2020.

1. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    what will waxing vs not waxing the pick ups do exactly?

2. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Pickups like the filtertrons and PAF's were originally made without wax potting. This is supposed to improve the dynamics of the pickups and gives them a slightly more open sound. It also makes them more susceptible to squealing when driven at high gain. This is all stuff I've read about and not experienced for myself.
    Others may be able to shed more light on the subject? I just wanted to get something as close to original as possible! I bought these as they are British made so slightly cheaper than the Ray Butt full fidelity TV Jones model in the UK. I have a set of Radioshop pickups in my Tele and they sound stellar so I know they're going to be quality sounding pickups.

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    That's what I did (de-waxed) to my HS Filtertrons and TV Jones Classic pickups.
    [​IMG]
    I like the end result, for all of the reasons that you mentioned. I don't play at high decibels, so squeal hasn't been an issue for me.

Stonepicking likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you didnt have Raybutts yet.. also are we talking jet or 6120. There is a great diff between those two applications.

5. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    That's good to know. I play in an alt country/Americana type band so I don't use heavy distortion, some overdrive and boost so hopefully all will be good!!

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    That's what I did - I ordered the wiring harness from 920d Custom because Tom was backordered at the time. Sorry don't have any video on my phone.
    IMG_6690.jpg B3A5189D-.jpg

ErickT94, ZackyDog and radd like this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

You’re right. And they were in a hollow.

8. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Its crazy how much this community mods their guitarists and I love it. You're 5420 looks dope. the pickups make the guitar pop a bit more than black top filtertrons

unknown fan likes this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

You should spend some time on the Telecaster forum. It makes the modding here look tame by comparison :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice