5420 With Brian Setzer Tv Jones pick ups

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ErickT94, Feb 20, 2020.

1. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Whats up fellow gretsch enthusiasts! I'm hoping to throw brian setzer tv jones pick ups on my recently bought 5420t in fairlane blue. What feedback do you have upon installing the pups? Are they a significant upgrade? Also if you guys have videos to share that would be great. There's an ok amount of videos on youtube of this model with the BS pups but I'm keen on seeing more. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. a willingham

a willingham Electromatic

Nov 30, 2016
    Tennessee
    It was the best decision I have made for my 5420. Just the right amount of sparkle and growl.

ErickT94 likes this.
  3. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Not to shabby of an early post question. Welcome.
    How's the west coast doing? I just moved from Oceanside Ca., to Knoxville Tenn.
    Less than a year ago. It's been snowing all day. Ya don't get that in LA.

TV's in a Setzer? Come on...what's not to like?
    I've been wanting to put a couple in my Falcon.
    Look forward to hearing how it turns out.
    I do miss those sunny sun sets.

ErickT94 likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Erick ! I have Setzer Sigs in several of my Gretsch guitars, one of my favorite TVJ pickups.
    welcome-rubber-door-mats-250x250.jpeg

ErickT94 likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m considering TV Jones in my 5420. I decided if I do it I would spring for the $100+ additional and get a completely new harness, pots, switch, jack etc from TV Jones.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Sounds exciting! I’ve played them through the signitaure hot rods. I truly enjoy the stock filtertrons on the 5420 but I know those BS sigs sound insane

7. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I think some snow in LA would be interesting lol. Everything is good in the hood! Playing the Brian sigs back to back with the stock filtertrons...the signature just seem to have a lot more to give they sound amazing

O Riley likes this.
  8. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    feels good to be part of the gretsch community Im super happy with my axe. If you have those pups that just show how good they must be

audept likes this.
  9. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Hadn’t about that, that sounds pretty promising. I might have to look into that

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Putting TV's in any Gretsch is not a bad thing at all.

Over the years, he just keeps adding little flavors of Filtertrons for folks to choose from.

Best of luck, and enjoy the new sound.

11. Monty_piglit

Monty_piglit Gretschie

Oct 9, 2019
    Leicestershire

This looks like a good video, it's doing it to a 5120 but I'm sure it's pretty much the same for a 5420

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    installed some Setzer Sigs in a phoenix several yrs ago. scroll to 4:00 oclock.

also installed some into a 6120ssu w before and after install

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    What kind of sound do you want?

I had the Setzer/TV Jones pickups and they're like a Filtertron on steroids (to my ears).

upload_2020-2-21_4-55-50.jpeg
    If you want a classic/50/60s Gretsch sound, I would go with two (2) TV Jones Classic neck pickups or Gretsch HS Filtertron neck pickups (see my signature block), and remove the wax potting with a hair dryer.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The TV Jones/Ray Butts Full Fidelity Filtertron are purportedly good/great pickups, and have low/vintage output and are not wax potted like an original /classic/PAF /vintage Filtertron:

upload_2020-2-21_5-2-34.jpeg

Outlaw, ErickT94 and G5422T like this.
  14. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I've watched and rewatched both of these videos plenty of times in the past month. probably too many times. great videos. The black pheonix REALLY captures that tone I want. Love both guitars being used. I recently got into rockabilly and I think it was the byproduct of researching Gretsch guitars. I play ska and reggae and have found that a gretsch tone also works wonders for my genres!! Also learning some rockabilly myself!

new6659 and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  15. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Super informative!! Thank you I appreciate this. I've seen very few videos that compare the sound between these TV jones pick ups. Love them and can't wait to buy some!

TV the Wired Turtle and ZackyDog like this.
  16. NWBriggs

NWBriggs Electromatic

Aug 23, 2019
    Montague, MI
    I put Setzer sigs in my 5420 a few months ago and love them! They are great pickups. The install wasn’t bad at all. I left the original harness and only swapped the pickups.

you will need the adapter sets that TV Jones sells to get them into your guitar, and the kit with the hose stuff for fishing everything through the body made it a breeze. You will also want a couple sets of the clear plastic pickup risers as well. I had to cut these a little to make them fit right.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    De nada. I appreciate your gratitude :)

18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I think I’m in the minority in that of all the Filters I’ve had(HS Filters, TVJ Classics, Classic +, Megatrons, Magnatrons, and Setzer Sigs), the Setzers were my least favorite.

19. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I'm changing out the blacktops in my 5422 for a pair of Radioshop pickups. They call them Radiotrons, lower vintage output without wax potting. I may try something a little different in my 5420 though. Let us now how it goes.

ALS57 likes this.
  20. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    what didn't you like about em bro?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice