5420 single TV Jones

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by cqscqs, Jan 20, 2019.

1. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    I've got a 2017 5420. Just installed a TV Jones Classic in the neck position. I play mostly Chet stuff, and some leads, no high gain. I am glad I did this, I laughed out loud actually when I plugged it in, it was so good. This is my opinion only.
    My question, I was originally going to get a Classic Plus for the bridge. Would that in fact improve my tone that much? Or said another way, would the budget better be spent on a Dyno Brain?
    I am using this to play out, I leave my pro line at home. love both guitars. Thanks for any input!

2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Classic+. Superb pkup.

cqscqs and larryb like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    This was my old guitar that I had built by Waterslide Guitars. It had the TV Classic/Classic Plus combo and the tones were wonderful....I would definitely go with that combo again..

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    For low-gain clean stuff I would recommend a TVJ Classic bridge (not Classic+) in the bridge position. Classic+ is a great pickup but is better for higher-gain with growl.

larryb, BorderRadio and G5422T like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Might want to consider TV's "Ray Butts" version for the bridge.

I've heard very good thing about this pup.

6. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Larry B that tele sounds great. Audept, two classics? Makes sense I'm not going for a growl. And G5422T, I have read good things about the Ray Butts. I can be more specific of my "ultimate' tone, it'd be off the Chet Atkins Fingerstyle Guitar album. Now, I'll NEVER be able to play like that, but just trying to give myself the best chance to come within a thousand miles of it...thanks for these responses so far.

larryb, G5422T and audept like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a 6120-1959-LTV-QM with Classics and a 6120N with Classic/Classic+. The 6120-1959 is best for the clean sounds but the 6120N is the rock machine.