'53 Esquire. Listen to this thing!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by wildeman, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    From the YT video description... 1957 narrow panel tweed twin (low power). Does that help?

2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Whew...is it just me? The guitar on the first video sounds really good clean, but I'm not blown away from the crunch tone.
    THIS

is my Tele benchmark tone.

>>Nachocaster & Tweed Champ (or a SF Deluxe?not safe from this video) but for sure thru a slightly gained morning glory pedal. That’s a perfect warm and shiny clean tone while he plays soft, great dynamics and overtones when he digs in.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    larryb likes this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yep - I didn't see that - thanks!

Ricochet likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As it's been said before---Leo got it right the first time.

Dave-B, Gretschtim1, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It's amazing how good a Telly sounds through tweed amps. That mid range bump on tweed amps really fattens up a Telly.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Almost like they were meant to be used together!

Ricochet likes this.
  7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    :D

8. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    There's no doubt that *a good* vintage guitar has a sound that is VERY hard to duplicate in a new instrument. Case in point, this Tele. Notice how the pickup cuts through but is still warm and full and never does the "blizzard of nails" that some new Teles can throw at you.

That Pedal Show recently did an episode in which they went to one of London's premier vintage boutique shops and all the guitars there displayed this same amazing attribute.

9. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I like the reference to Naiche

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Heh, glad you get that one. The Naiche is the Esquire model, the Cochise is the standard Telecaster...

11. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    Well I do live in the town of Cochise in Cochise County. I must say though I remember who Cochise was since I was a young boy on Staten Island.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The low power tweed Twin uses two 6L6 or 5881 power tubes for an optomistic 40 watts. The high power tweed Twin used four 6L6 or 5881 for an equally optomistic 80 watts. They have two input channels - Normal and Bright), Bass, Treble and Presence. Originals had Jensen alnico speakers.

Originals are pricey. My local store has one in, in very good shape, for a mere $25,000. I however, own a Victoria reproduction and it is a really exceptional amp. It is also expensive and currently retails in the $3800 but I paid a LOT less than that for a used one. Victoria has shipped them with different speakers but no surprise, it sounds best with 12" Jensen Alnicos. Victoria rates the amp at 50 watts. It's very well made.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice