5230T Tuning problems even after upgrades!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by stevenlaumer, Nov 2, 2018.

1. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Newbie

Nov 2, 2018
    Dallas, Tx
    Hello

I purchased a new one of these a month ago and have spend that time replacing the stock bridge with a roller bridge, and replacing the nut with a graphtech Tusq nut. But even after all this, using the bigsby is still knocking the tuning off.

Anyone got any pointers for whats next? All the work was completed by a professional that I trust and the work looks good.

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I had the same issue with a G5135. I'm convinced it was too much break angle between the tension bar and bridge. I had the nut worked on, lubed everything I could, tried a bunch of suggestions and nothing fixed it. I ordered one of these... https://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/btsv3/ and after that the bigsby worked perfect.

Not my review but it will give you an idea what it does.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Charlie westside and BorderRadio like this.
  3. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Newbie

Nov 2, 2018
    Dallas, Tx
    Thats a nice shout. Price is good too.

How was the install? Anything major needed?

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    No. it's quite easy.
    0-unstring
    1-unscrew the B5 from the top
    2-release the allen screw which blocks the front roller shaft
    3-remove the shaft by pushing it and the whole will go
    4-reinstall the whole, with the BBF front roller in lieu of the original Bigsby front roller, using the original shaft.
    5-tight the allen screw to block the shaft again
    6-rescrew in place the B5
    7-restring
    It's done.

Maybe your trem is a B50 not a B5, so it may a bit different. BrigggggsBigggggFixxxxx has front rollers for both : US and Licensed Bigsby trems.

Note : take a Super Squishy Spring by the occasion - you won't regret it !

A+!

Tinman46 likes this.
  5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Mine was a B50. I don't recall the process but it was pretty easy. Allan key and a screwdriver was all I needed if I remember right. There's some videos online that show the whole process.

6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I have not encountered tuning issues with my 5230. I have kept it stock.
    I have heard many folks say that they have issues with the stock licensed Bigsby and tuning. I can confidently say that I just kept it stock and It's great. no problems.

Likeabrave likes this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Steven!
    welcome mat texas 2.jpg

8. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    Agree with above .Get the biggsfix.

I've found with light and easy use, I can get a stock b50 to stay in tune. I habe to really treat it nice and even then it won't be perfect. But close..

Problem is, I don't like to treat my ladies nice. With the Biggs fix I can abuse the trem all night long and it gets right back in line .