50 Yrs. ago today . Where were you ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jul 20, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I was four years old and have not all too many memories of that day. I remember my dad watching the event at my grandmother`s. She already had a black and white tv back then.
    I sure remember praying for the Apollo 13 astronauts in church, though.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Jessie Ed

Jessie Ed Electromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Statesboro, GA
    I was in my first week of basic training in the Army at Ft. Gordon, GA....I missed the whole thing.
    I was drafted!

thunder58 likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... it was an amazing time for some of us to grow up during " The Wonder Years "

new6659, blueruins and T Bone like this.
  4. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    In the school gym with the 26" B&W TV, watching all the Apollo 11 activities. The good ol' bad ol' days.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I was gestating.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I remember thinking, "maybe I'm not actually stepping on the moon but some studio in Hollywood. What do I know? They could have injected me with some drug while I was sleeping and made me think I was in a rocket ship..."

thunder58 likes this.
  7. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Right there about 28 days shy of 11 my grandson and I were discussing it last night he says papa you were the same age as me lol.
    Yup that date glued to the black and white tv a little nervous for them.
    Sitting on the big oversized pleather couch with mom dad and all my younger sibs.

blueruins, thunder58 and Armygirl like this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I was almost 5, and we had moved from LA/S. Pasadena, back to the east coast, to a town called Wyckoff, NJ the year before (1968)

wyckoff.jpg

We may have been watching the moon landing; my memory is a bit fuzzy, cuz. ;)

loudnlousy, thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  9. GrandpaPete

GrandpaPete Newbie

Apr 12, 2019
    Franklin NC
    I was 19 and watching it with my grandfather who was sitting right up close to the TV screen. At one point he turned towards me and said "I remember as a kid watching the lamp lighters lighting the street lamps in the evenings". Imagine how much change he saw in his life!

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In San Antonio, in Basic Training in the USAF. They gave us time off to see the landing. It was the only time I ever went into our unit's air conditioned break room and the only time I saw a TV the entire time I was in Texas.

11. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was almost 9 and watched it with the family on the 19" black and white TV.
    I was into all things space when I was a kid. National Geographic had great issues about the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions...I used to pour over them!

blueruins, thunder58 and ZackyDog like this.
  12. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I was camping with my family at Mara Lake B.C. The only television was the one in the campsite owners home. He invited us to come watch the lunar landing. Must have been 20 people watching it in his livingroom.

blueruins and thunder58 like this.
  13. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yep, I was a kid and everybody gathered around the living room TV – a big ol’ B&W console thing with rabbit ears. It was a Sunday, so the whole family was at home, even my Dad. And of course, it was Walter Cronkite for sure, absolutely. There wasn’t anybody else, at least in my house. It was always Walter.

And we watched it. And it was amazing. And nobody thought it was fake, nobody analyzed the direction of the flag’s shadows, and there weren’t any dumb conspiracy claims. All in all, it was a pretty good day to be an American, and what with Vietnam and Nixon, there weren’t a lot days like that in the late 60’s.

It was a good thing. It still is. But the world sure has changed a lot since then …

14. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I was 11, at home totally geeked out and glued to the B&W.

blueruins and thunder58 like this.
  15. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I was in the hospital trying to get out to watch...I would be born tomorrow on the 21st.

16. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Ha ha!!!:D

larryb and thunder58 like this.
  17. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I was only 3. But the story goes. We were all in the den of the house preparing to watch the historic event
    when a the tv blew a tube. My father drove us to the Safeway to get a tube.
    didn't miss it though. I only have vague memories of it. I was to young.
    maybe to old for them to put powder on my little moon like Thunder.

thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  18. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I was just past 10 ½, and watched at home on our color TV. But as I recall it, we all watched it in black and white? Seems to me it was broadcast in black and white for some reason? Landed at 4:17 Eastern time. The walk happened some 6 ½ hours later (10:56 PM, first foot on the Moon).

Many are talking of watching in school. I recall watching some space stuff in school too, one particularly important event. They rolled in a TV from our "audio visial" department (I think it it was a black and white, with some type of early video tape machine like a reel to reel, or?). But this first Moon landing was in mid July. Surely most of us were on Summer break. I know I was. The space news I recall them interrupting class for us to watch was during the school year in either 5th or 6th grade. I ended 5th grade in June of 69, so that predates this landing. Not sure what I saw in school, but it wasn't this landing.

19. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Electromatic

Jul 26, 2013
    Canton, Georgia
    I was 15 in 1969 and had been playing electric guitar 3 yrs in garage bands. I watched the moon landing. I was blown away by the music that year. Led Zepplin released "Communication breakdown" and Led Zepplin II, Creedence Clearwater release "Bayou Country",Green River, and Willy and the Po boys. Chicago Transit Authority" I'm a man", The Allman Bros Band released its first album, Santana's first album, the Beatles Yellow Submarine and Abbey Road, The Rolling Stones Released "Let it Bleed" with Honky tonk woman. And on and on. What an amazing year for music that doesn't seem to get much attention.

gtttrrr, new6659, thunder58 and 5 others like this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I was just a twinkle in dads eye;),didn't arrive until 15 months later!

Mum and dad stayed up all night to watch,but mum,no matter how hard she tried,couldn't keep her eyes open apparently ,dad kept waking her saying "You're missing it"!
    Dad always told me "I'll never the see the Mars landing son but you will" I'm not so sure about myself...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice