5 String Relic Tele "Micawber" build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Jan 6, 2019.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    All bolted together (except the neck) wiring done. Still need to tweak the 'relic' side of it. Record cold tomorrow so I don't think I'll get much spraying done on the neck this week.
    Looking forward to stringing it up!

IMG_5309.JPG

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Bravo! That’s gonna make someone very “Happy”!
    (See what I did there?)

englishman likes this.
  3. How much less time and money would it be if not relicked? I can appreciate the want of a guitar that resembles worn in, but I always keep my stuff in as new condition as possible. Even the ones some consider beater guitars, they get cleaned and placed in cases. I think this is a great guitar, but for me it’s not the work look, it’s the axe itself. 5 strings, humbucker neck. Etc.

4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's probably about the same. The finish on this is pretty thin nitro and I wasn't concerned about it being fully cured because I knew I wasn't going to polish it. Likewise, normally I'd do eight coats of clear on top of the butterscotch. I'd also spend longer on sanding out blemishes, things I ignored this time because I knew I'd be adding bigger and worse blemishes. It only takes a few days to age the parts.

I'd be happy to build a pretty version :)

Henry and loudnlousy like this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Got the neck all done, just have to ugly it up now!

IMG_4718.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice