5 String Relic Tele "Micawber" build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Jan 6, 2019.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    So I'm in two minds here. I kinda like it as is but the grain is a little too visible to be a match for the original. After I 'age' it, it'll look closer, what do you think?

IMG_0289.JPG

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think I’m once again coveting another man’s guitar.
    Loving this thread!

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ask Mike. Looks good to me, though.

4. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Beautiful. Wish I could be there when you plug her in.

5. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Another relic sceptic here... enjoying the process nonetheless!

The butterscotch is beautiful but Keef's seems to have some sort of semi-opaque blonde finish. Thanks for sharing the various steps of the process.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    englishman likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a '50 8 string steel in butterscotch and it looked just like that.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  7. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    First of all super cool project!

I just had my Tele wired with Broadcaster wiring. It has a Twisted Tele pickup set. The bridge pickup is a 10K pickup by the way, the neck I think is a bit hotter than a typical Tele single coil neck, but I forget how much. Also Fender made the Twisted Tele Bridge coil height shorter slightly to make the coil wrap fatter, thus giving a fuller/fatter tone, supposedly, and they made the neck coil height= taller to make the neck pickup more clear and stray sounding, or something like that.

I've modded the guitar by also putting a Gotoh brass plate and 5 saddle bridge on it. This was done before the wiring switch, so any changes in tone afterward had to come from the new wiring.

It is definitely not going to be for everyone, but I really dig the Broadcaster wiring, quite a lot. I don't think I'll be going back to standard wiring.

Here are my impressions:

Position 1
    this is the bridge and neck with a blend pot, no tone pot
    - the effect of the blend pot through its whole range was more subtle than I thought it would be (except when comparing being dialed in for the bridge alone to dialing for the both pickups at the other extreme of the knob range) and yet the whole range of tones from bridge to bridge/neck together, and everything in between, sound noticeably better to me than with the traditional 3 way wiring, like much better dare I say
    - when the bridge only is dialed in, I feel like the bridge tone is better, it has a bit more cut and presence, and it doesn't seem quite as dark as before..it like growls a bit more but is more clear at the same time! strange I know!
    - when the bridge and neck are both dialed in, the tone seems less scooped and has more girth then before, but clarity has somehow increased at the same time, with a bit more sparkle and presence
    - even though there is a lot of subtlety through some of the range of the blend, one can subtly but still noticeably make small tweaks to either the bridge or two pickup tones in a cool way that I dig big time, and that aren't available with the trad. 3 position wiring
    - I really really like this position with the blend pot dialed back half way from the bridge, or even more, for rhythm and arpeggio stuff, and it is great for lead too, and then with a quick tweak of the pinkie I turn it to full on bridge for a killer bridge lead tone..in a way it is good that the changes in the middle range aren't so drastic because it is not difficult to then roll back to your prior tone

Position 2
    neck pickup, no tone pot
    - I was worried about this position becoming too bright or thin, but this hasn't been the case at all; the neck position just seems to have more clarity and a little more sparkle and presence in a really good way, just a gorgeous 3d neck pickup tone, that was kind of lacking before with the 3 way wiring

Position 3
    neck pickup with a cap to make it very dark sounding (can change this darkness based on the value one chooses)
    - most are probably going to hate this setting, so much maybe that they reject the whole wiring scheme!
    - you can use a lower value cap however so that you get a neck position with just enough high end rolled off so that you use it as the warmer, more jazzy or bluesy, neck sounding position
    - I can see having use for this setting however for some fat dark heavy fuzz tones...or for some White Stripes pseudo bass lines possibly
    - volume seems to drop off a bit too much for me however when I use this setting, and I think that removing the 15k resistor and jumping that spot is supposed to bring the volume back up...but I like the other positions' tone so much that I'm afraid to change anything that may screw them up by removing that resistor, although I suspect that this is pure electronic ignorance on my part and the other tones won't change at all

Potential problems
    - if you already have a very bright guitar/pickup set this combo may prove to be too bright maybe??? I don't know..maybe that is why this wiring seems to work great with the hotter and hence darker bridge pickups...conversely maybe that is why I thought my 10K Bridge twisted tele pickup sounded too dark for my tastes when the guitar had the traditional 3 way position wiring

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    englishman and new6659 like this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Thanks for the review, I already wired the pots for this configuration. I did use a 'no load' pot for the blend so I can get 100% bridge pickup at the extreme end.

The 5 string Tele is an 'all-in' open G guitar and I've never seen Mr. Richards' pickup switch on any other position other than 'bridge'.
    Looking forward to hearing this one, 9.8K at the bridge which I figure is close enough lol.
    Just need to brave the extreme cold in the garage to finish the neck.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Here is something to make every place a lot warmer. You just have to put the picture on the wall:

[​IMG] :p

new6659 and Alberta_Slim like this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I know it's not a good idea to mix 'nitros' but I found a quarter full reranch butterscotch can and it's given me the exact look I was going for!

IMG_1958.JPG

12. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Can't fault butterscotch.
    Coming from, as I do, Doncaster, Yorkshire, England then I can testify that that is an authenticc butterscotch shade.
    Why am I qualified to make that judgement?
    Doncaster is (well ok, used to be!) famous for railway engines (manufactured in the Doncaster Plant), horse racing and..... butterscotch - Parkinsons was the main manufacturer as I recall.
    Looks absolutely wonderful David.
    But, did it never occurr to you to ask Keef why he never replaced the missing position dot or the story behind its disappearence?
    'course that might be a silly question for Stones fans but I am curious!

Oh, and I absolutely love this thread despite being alergic to the relicing of guitars!

Make me a clone of Hank Marvin's pink Strat just like it was when it was delivered in 1958 with no scratches, dings or dents and you''ll be a friend for life!
    How much????
    Forget it!

eggvan and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's down to the way he plays, low slung guitar and wide strumming, the 17th fret is ground zero for incoming picks. I know it dropped out during a concert but I forget which.

14. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Wow!!!
    You knew it happened in a concert but can't remember which!? that's rock 'n' roll magic!
    That's like me havin' to admit that I saw The Who in the Lyceum Theatre Ballroom in the Strand (London, England) in1969 and seeing Pete Townshend throwin' the remains of his smashed Strat into the audience right in front of my eyes and sayin' I don't know who the guy was who caught it!!!!
    I really don't know who he was but I'll never forget his face!
    And I was actually there, saw it all and lived to tell the tale - was probably a post-CBS Strat anyhow so no worries!!
    Seriously though, you'd think he had enough bread in the bank to have a decent guitar tech/luthier replace a flippin' position dot for him......has he no interest in appearancies?

new6659 and eggvan like this.
  15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, this is the guy that invented relic guitars when he made Fender build him copies of this guitar.

Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 8.27.41 AM.png

16. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    You need to pull out the middle screw in that bridge pickup

calebaaron666 likes this.
  17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, it's not a lap steel pickup so it may flop around like that. I'm not going to be THAT anal about this.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I would...

Or at least try it once

If you place some foam beneath the pickup it would work

19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sprezels! Coz Keef sez so.

0DCC68B8-D8E2-4B4A-94F6-42C6E894F033.jpeg 8ED51159-C7FA-4CEC-8EF6-39B91FEA9876.jpeg

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Moving on the the next process.

1E121D9A-371D-4282-AF19-D4961BD59424.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice