5 String Relic Tele "Micawber" build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Jan 6, 2019.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Some slow progress here, time has been drained with warranty work on electrics that I finally tracked down to some expensive sheilded wire had a break in the core about one inch away from the pot :/

Anyway, the one-inch neck blank is way too thick for my fret slotting jig so I had to do it old-school.

IMG_4054.JPG IMG_7689.JPG

Please ignore all the pieces of tape stuck to the pad, they are a real b**ch to get off for some reason. I usually end up replacing the pad (yoga mat) periodically.

IMG_8256.JPG

Nice snug fit with the body, I also worked on the skunk stripe but forgot to take a pic.

Body is ready to go so I started putting sealer on but then got called away to make a four layer cheesecake for my daughter's birthday.

IMG_5857.JPG

2. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    You can cook cheesecake and make guitars??
    You are a man among men! :)

drmilktruck and englishman like this.
  3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sooo many Oreos in this.

DF407D1A-F4B5-491F-A98E-F42E13B6C856.jpeg

4. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Dots in (except the deliberately missing one) and radius sanded.The weird thing about doing relics is that it has to be good before I start messing it all up lol.

radius.jpg

6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Looking forward to you bashing it up. That'll be fun.

englishman likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I do not want to hurt your feelings but this really reminds me of an ashtray:eek:.

englishman likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Frets in, despite frigid garage temps.

50469282_2251356735080500_5906016447921913856_n.jpg

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  9. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Guitars and cheesecake. Dang Englishman, you’ve some skills. (My big six oh is in August... I love strawberries and Tele’s)

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Damn. Can only like it once!
    What 'bucker you going to use? Ideally, you want a vintage PAF soecced one.

Eelics were pretty much Keef's invention. They made him guitars, so he wouldn't have to tour his old ones and he sent 'em back and asked Fender to beat 'em up, so they'd feel played in. I don't think they'd ever done relicing at Fender before then... or anywhere else, other than the counterfeiters.

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've got a used Seymour Duncan Antiquity for it.

I'm ready to paint the body, but it's 4ºF in the garage (-15c) :(

12. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
  13. somebodyelseuk

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Excellent choice, sir.
    -15C... yeah, I'm too old for that, these days (51) - that's 'feet up in front of the telly' weather. :)

For what it's worth... for a long time, I played HSS Strat-a-likes, because I found neck 'buckers, "too muddy" and bridge singles too thin. Last few months, been messing about a lot with twin 'bucker guitar pickups and experimenting with setting 'em up.
    Just from studying photos of Gary Moore and Bernie Marsden's Les Pauls, really, I found if I dropped the pickup height 2 or 3 mm below Gibson spec and raised the pole screws above the covers a tad - usually seem to be set flush - that I can get rid of the mud and get almost Strat-like clarity. My' numbers' are 'very approx.' - it was more trial and error...
    I'm sure you already know all that stuff, but I thought I'd share, in case you hadn't tried it.
    Cheers

new6659 likes this.
  14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    -20C today. 51? You young whippersnapper! I appreciate the results of your humbucker experimentation, I'm looking forward to seeing how the 'blend' knob works with these pickups.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  15. somebodyelseuk

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    A like for the whippersnapper comment... I get called 'young' less and less, as the days go by. Still can't get used to being called 'sir' and 'Mr...'
    Again, you probably already know all the following, but just in case...
    I believe the Antiquity isn't potted. It'll work great in most situations, but it might (probably will) feedback a lot in high gain situations.
    I wouldn't pot it, but it's worth bearing in mind if the person who ends up using it is likely to be in those situations - at least, if you were to get a call complaining, you'd know how to sort it, without him/her/you having to stump up for a new pickup.

16. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Not playing the Vaporizer as much anymore? 3? 4 years old now?

17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Not really, usually use the Delta Blues when I play six string which is less often these days. The Vaporizer and the Ric 430 HiGains work well though, could totally do a throwback bar gig with it.

Lizardkinged likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm loving my Delta Blues, i can't believe i didn't get one sooner.

englishman likes this.
  19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, that's the whole can of butterscotch nitro... It looks a little more translucent than I'd like.

IMG_8679.JPG