5 Myths About Country Music

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:27 AM.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    This week's 5 Myths column in The Washington Post explodes some commonly held beliefs about Country Music.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...tm_source=Newsletter&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

section2, wabash slim and nickurso like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Interesting thing is I’m not really a country music fan(only older stuff like Willie and patsy etc.) but I knew all that. I think most of those same points can be made about blues music, maybe in reverse but basically the same

drmilktruck and LivingMyDream like this.
  3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Myth #6: Country music is good.
    ARGH! WP paywall

4. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Another myth, perpetuated by Dolly Parton herself at the last CMAs,

If you play a country record backwards, you get your girl back, your truck back, and your dog comes home!

5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    *CRINGE* that joke's so old it can vote.

RomanS, pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This reads like the writer watched Ken Burns’ recent 8 hour synopsis about country music, and decided to write their own synopsis about it.

Basically it’s saying there are no definitive rules in country music. Anyone who listens to country knows this.

My only rule is it has to be good.
    Also, as a rule, 99% of major label “country” recorded after 1980 is crap.

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Yeah, I think they are interesting points, but not overly so. I wish they had gone a little deeper, because most of what was revealed is fairly self-evident.

I will say that I was fully aware how few Country artists write all their own songs, but then I've been living in the shadow of Nashville for the past 19 years, and I had had the pleasure to have met more than a few songwriters - a couple that made it in the industry, and quite a few that were still looking for their big break. That may be why I consider the article to be a bit more superficial.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Here's the summary:

Myth No. 1

Country is white music for white people. - Fastest growing demographic for country music is Hispanic. Increasing number of black artists (although still small.)

Myth No. 2

Country music listeners are mostly working-class. - Median income of country fans is higher than for other forms of popular music

Myth No. 3

Country is red-state music. - According to the article, equal numbers of listeners in major markets identify as Democrats and Republicans.

(However, note it refers to major markets. Outside the cities, it's a very different story, in both red and blue states.)

Myth No. 4

In the past, there were more women in country music. - sadly it was just as bad in the old days. Similar minority of hits were recorded by women in the 60s and 70s as now.

Myth No. 5

Country singers write their own songs about their real lives. - Nope, most country hits are written by professional songwriters. Few of the biggest stars write their own songs.

section2 and nickurso like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Myth #6 - Bro Country. Enough said.

Myth #7 - Country music is country music. It used to be, but now it's a corporate money making machine that spins out pop music with little hints of country flavor like a pedal steel here and there. If NASCAR racing is about stock cars...

unknown fan and pmac11 like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not just country music, but music in general. I've always said that 90% of everything is crap, and out of the remaining 10%, only 1% is excellent.

------------------------------------------------

"Country and Blues had a child and they called it Rock and Roll."---Muddy Waters

------------------------------------------------

Most country guys can play the Blues, and most Blues players can play country. They grew up side by side.

-------------------------------------------------

I've worked hundreds of bands over the last 40+ years as a stagehand. One thing that country and blues players both usually do is set up their own gear. Normally they don't have roadies to do it for them.

11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    “There’s only two kinds of American music, The Star Spangled Banner and the Blues.”

Jeff67, CousinWarsh and wabash slim like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Three---Bluegrass!
    Four---Sousa!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    MotorCentaur and MrAstro like this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'm currently watching that Ken Burns Country Doc on the BBC,its pretty good,i'm enjoying it anyway.

14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It wasn’t bad. I really enjoyed the first 5 hours. The final bits not so much.
    I call it a synopsis, because there’s only so much that can be covered in 8 hours.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's like his documentary on Jazz or the Martin Scorsese produced Blues doc.

r0de0 likes this.
  16. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I like both types of music, Country AND Western.

17. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I was on a beach in Antigua twenty-some years ago. It was evening and aside from our small group it was deserted. We were handing a guitar round. This Rasta guy appeared along the beach and sat down with us.
    He sat for a moment and then said 'Tell me man, can ya play any Kenny Rogers? Play 'The Gambler' for I.'
    So I did. 'Thankya man', he said and strolled off into the sunset.

Traditional country music is very popular amongst Caribbean people of my acquaintance.

section2, pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    And what about the key of A? Is it REALLY a good country key, or was Duck Dunn just pulling our collective legs?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    CousinWarsh likes this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice