3 pickup wiring help please

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Rob Williams, Jan 17, 2020.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Sounds so easy when you say it! ;):p

hcsterg likes this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, maybe I'm off on that, but if I had to wire @DennisC suggestion, it would be a concern to me : since the magnet is common to the 2 coils in the PWT, I wonder how can you manage easily to have the required in-phase, non-humbucking operation of the 2 coils (in order to electrically separate them, one for each T90) with a pickup which was not designed for that at the start... o_O

If the 2 T90 are RWRP, then it will be OK : you will just have to couple the right PWT coils with the right T90 in order to respect the in-phase, RWRP humbucking operation expected in the serial mode. Otherwise, one of the "serialized" pickup will be out-of phase (special thin sound) or non-humbucking between its two coil.

Well it's a matter of tests, and after all, maybe the non-humbucking (but compulsorily in-phase) serial association would work fine enough about hum...

Not easy to explain, I must confess... :oops:

A+!

new6659 and DennisC like this.
  3. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I'd have the same concern. If they're not one normal and one RWRP, it won't work out that simple.

At TVJ's site I don't find any info on this ... but I'd be a bit surprised if they're not, as this offers hum cancellation in middle position, without sacrificing anything or being more expensive or so, so I don't see any reason not to do it that way.

If they're both of same winding and polarity, though, a custom-made pickup could be the solution. As many of their pickups are built-to-order anyway, this would only have one downside in needing to buy another pickup.

4. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    2 switches, binary choices.
    That seems too logical & easy to remember on the user end.

Though it does seem like literally on-off.
    Is more electrical & logic nuance innvolved?

5. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... did it go well?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice