2x10 vs 12

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Bertotti, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So will a 2x10 fill a different sonic space than a 2x12 with the speakers being sonically the same. Curious of the nature of 2 tens agains 2 12s

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    IME, yes. More & faster punch w/ less low low & high highs. I've really liked 2 lower sensitivity 10s w/ a higher sensitivity 12 for a full spectrum wall of air flapping the pant legs a bit.

G5422T likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I always though I was a 1x12” guy. Then I got a Vibrolux. Turns out I’m TOTALLY a 2x10” guy!!

I should’ve known by how much a pair of Pro Jrs makes me happy.

G5422T likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've never tried a 2x10 in a guitar cab but I do have em in my MarkBass cmd 102p 500w bass amp.
    2x10's sound very good there and are significantly heavier than a 1x12.
    MarkBass site says 2x10's are more aggressive but ....... I've never been able to A/B it with 2x12s.
    http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/cmd-102p/

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've had 2-10's in the past. A little Fender tweed style combo. Absolutely delightful.

Honestly think that a 2-10" set up would sound great powered by any style amp.

A more focussed sound that is just right to my ears.

I would love to have a 2-10" Celestion Gold set up for a Vox or Vox clone amp. Need to find some real gold first! Lol

I'm a single 12" guy too generally, but a pair of 10's are good stuff.

6. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Four 10’s are better than 2!!:D

Kidn aside, a 2x10 is sweet and still very portable for gigging. Obviously a 1x12 is very portable for gigging as well but for an ‘at home player’ like myself at the moment, the 1x12 never gets used. Especially when it’s surrounded by a 4x10, 2x10 and a 2x12.

G5422T likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yeah, but 3-10's ain't too bad either! Lol

TubeLife likes this.
  8. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    You are indeed correct. Never tried one myself or even seen one in person. Legendary though.

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I've always loved the sound of 12" speakers. There's a beefiness to them that I really appreciate.

swivel, wabash slim and Waxhead like this.
  10. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    As to your question of a 2x12 vs a 2x10, at low to moderate volume playing, there’s not a drastic difference between the two. Yes the 10’s do seem a tad quicker and snappy against the 12’s but not in a negative way.

Also cabinet material, style and dimensions play a role in the overall response. My 2x10 is a deeper cab built by TRM and has plenty o bottom end to it.

Jeff67 and G5422T like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    hhmmm...comparing a fender closed back 210 tremolux cab of my past versus (my bias and fav) a closeback fender bassman 212, its just not that close. Granted the 210 is slightly punchier in the mids but 2 Vintage 30s are Gods gift to a gretsch guitar. If youre not a travis picker and tend to just flat pick, you might be happier w 10s especially at lower volumes (prob mentioned above)

12. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

What about a 12" and a 10"? Or even a 15" and a 10"?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I like 10’s for my telecasters, and 12’s for steel guitar. I’m still deciding about hollowbodies

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Gibson used to use some combinations like that. I had a G35RVT with a 10" and a 12". I've seen one with a 8" and 15" as well.

15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I've been a 12" guy most of my life (lucky me!) but is the last few years I've embraced the 2x10" in a big way. I have a Matchless Lightning with 2x10" Celestion Golds, a Valvetrain 416 2x10", a Victoria Victoriette 2x10, a mid 60's drip edge Fender Vibrolux and a '68 Custom Fender Vibrolux.

The '68 Custom was used as my number one through most of the festival circuit I was doing last summer after I removed the stock Celestions and intalled two Jensen P10R alnicos. The sound was fantastic - compressed a bit, open, gritty when I wanted it and with their lower efficiency, really easy to manage the volume. The sound gave me goosebumps. I'm doing the mod to the other Vibrolux with two Eminence 1028K alnicos and we'll see how that goes.

I would be remiss in not mentioning a little 2x10" cab I use for several different heads. I loaded it with 2 Eminence 10" Red Fang ceramics and the sound is mind blowing with a Vox AC30 head. I have several heads with a Vox-like architecture and the 10" Red Fang sounds wonderful with all of them. It is so good with the Vox I removed the 10" from my AC10 and replaced it with the Red Fang. The new speaker is very efficient and the little AC10 can keep up to a moderate drummer now and it sounds great.

Mark mentioned a combo of 1-12" and 1-10". I tried it in my Victoria low powered Twin with an Emi Legend and a Copperhead and it was really nice. Very 3-D with the sounds swirling around your ears. In a fit of foolishness I took it out but it's going back in soon.

16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    2 x 10 doesn't seem to do it as well for me. I've had a few Vibrolux's etc.. One thing about 12" is there are a lot more different speakers available to choose from.
    Now 4 x 10 is a thing of beauty.... many 10" speakers are quite different construction that their 12" cousin. Smaller voice coils, magnets etc.
    One thing I like about some of the Weber speakers is that some of their designs are only different in the overall diameter; the magnet, voice coil etc are identical. So speakers like the 10F150 are nearly the same sound as the 12F150. Loud and heavy.

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I've got a 12" w an 8" in my bettie blondeshell amp to mimic what was happening in the Gibson GA-30
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G5422T likes this.
  18. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Every time I see this amp I get a little weak in the knees... lovely thing, that one.

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    I run a 1x12 and a 2x8 cabinet(s) together...Sound great.

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, acoustically speaking :

In theory, 2x10" will be more directive in the high end than a single 12" because of the short treble acoustic wavelength phase cancellations : the radiation pattern of the speakers interfere each other. It has no influence in the bass where the acoustic wavelength is longer, but it can be very sensitive, even dramatic, in the treble range.

In other words, the loss of the treble off-axis is more obvious with a speaker pair than with a single speaker. It's even more important with 4 speakers : that's one of the reasons why Marshall issued their upper slanted 4x12" cab...

In theory, with 2 speakers in co-incident sound field (typically a 2xXX" cab) wired in parallel and connected to the correct matching amp impedance, the acoustic level is +6db higher than with the same single speaker.

I mean : 2x 8R speakers wired in // and connected to a 4R source will give +6db acoustic level compared to the same single 8R speaker connected to a 8R source.

In theory, OK ? :D Well it's quite usually observed, but reality may be sometimes different...
    o_O

I hope I'm clear ! :eek::oops:

A+!

EDIT (sorry - I forgot to mention it) :

In theory, +6dB acoustic gain would mean X2 driving output power in RMS Watts.

I mean, in terms of efficiency : a 100dB/W/m speaker will require 10W while a 94dB/W/m speaker will require 20W to produce the same acoustic level.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    blueruins and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice