2420 Streamliner Build

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Rob_Brindley, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Hi folks,

Thought you might be interested in a little project that we've got going on at the minute... I'll do my best to keep the thread update but this is likely to be long process that's going to stretch of the next few months. The basic idea is to turn this 2420 Streamliner:

[​IMG]

Into this:

[​IMG]

Quite a few mods to do. The main ones being removing the volume / tone controls and going to the simplified Hotrod set up of Master Volume and Puckup Selector, Enlarging the F Holes to the larger style found on my 6120s, Stripping and repainting the body in 'Magenta burst' with some serious metal flake and then the usual new pick ups, TVJ wiring and a Vcut polished B6C.

I'm sure some people will think we're mad for spending this much time and money on a Streamliner, but there are a few reasons for doing it... I already have one lying around not being used. It's the perfect guitar to experiment with and learn new skills before we doing anything on a more expensive instrument, and we were looking at kits that we're available, but decided we already have a tried and tested body / neck combo here that we know plays great - so why not use it?

Look forward to updating you all as we progress. Might even film a few bits for my page...

Rob.

2. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Nice! Can’t wait to see it transform! I have an extra streamliner too. Refinished it 3 times already. With how mush I spent modding my streamliners I could gave bought another pro model but lots of people have those. My streamliners are like my own signature models. Great modding platform.

Rob_Brindley likes this.
  3. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    That's awesome - do you have any pics of the ones you've modded already?

Lockupyourfatdog and Merc like this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Wow! This will be a great project. Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

5. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    upload_2020-1-21_7-5-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-21_7-7-2.jpeg

Not nearly as in-depth as you’re going for but the fabric top was something I always wanted to try.

6. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Great stuff! What pickups did you end up using? I would love to put a set of Ray butts in this, the same as my 6120, but they're so damn expensive... Who knows. Will be a while before I get to wiring and accessories anyway...

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  7. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    On the black one I started with Setzer sigs and switched to Alamedas. They’re amazing. Six pickups in one with the flip of a switch (3 single coil and 3 humbuckers). They’re a little pricey. 260 for a set of chrome and 320 for gold but I can’t recommend them more. On the skull one I started with Seymour Duncan hot psyclones but they just weren’t doing the trick for me so I switched that o e to alamedas also but I’m probably going to switch that to power trons since that set of alamedas was meant for my 6120.
    upload_2020-1-21_8-50-21.jpg
    the ray butts are phenomenal too. I have a set in my Falcon. With the amount of work you’re doing it’s worth it to put the best possible pickups in it

Rob_Brindley likes this.
  8. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Wow, I'm not familiar with those pickups at all - I'll definitely check them out. Thanks for the tip! Me and my Dad have 8 6120s between us with all the standard Gretsch pickup configs across the collection - The Ray Butts, so far, are the best I've found. I just love the sound I get from my 6120-DCH-LTD. Just enough bight without being ear piercing and smooth as silk... Tough decision but the work on the body will take a while so I've got time to put some money aside.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool! Should be fun,looking forward to updates ....when ya have time like!;)

10. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Update 1

So, the first little update. Tonight we got the Streamliner out of the case and stripped all the hardware off of it. My original plan was to enlarge the current F holes to the standard 6120 size so, I found a template for a 6120 body. Part of my day job is graphics, so I pulled the template into my graphics software, printed it and got the machine to cut it out. In a perfect world, I'd drop the template on the body, the small F holes would sit perfectly inside the larger ones so we could just cut them out and that would that... Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. Here's the result...

The Stripped 2420:

[​IMG]

The Template:

[​IMG]

And the overlay:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the positioning is totally different. To be completely honest, I didn't expect it to line up perfectly, but was surprised by just how different the positioning was. This leaves us with a few options:

1. Leave the F Holes as is and live with it. But I really don't like the shape...
    2. Fill them is entirely and cut out the proper shape, but that would be a huge amount of work and your might see some double thickness where we patch the original F holes...
    3. Compromise and Reposition the larger f holes over the existing smaller ones - It wont be 100%, but would it really be that obvious?
    I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this one. My current plan is option 3. The small F Hole are 5.75" long, the 6120 F holes are 7.5" long. Tomorrow, I'm going to take the shape of the longer f holes and scaled them down the the same length as the shorter streamliner ones. I'll then make templates and scale them up 1/4" at a time. Hopefully, I'll find a size and position somewhere inbetween that doesn't look too awkward.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Rob.

dougmon and Stefan87 like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I would likely go with one. But since you’re doing the graphics thing... perhaps you can do a graphic of the number three compromise and lay it on top. Just to see if it visually works.

section2 and Rob_Brindley like this.
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My opinion....leave the F-holes as is...All the mods sound really cool, but changing the F's? I would leave them....Either way, I cant wait to see the end result!

Rob_Brindley likes this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Personally I'd go with option 2 if you feel comfortable doing so, the way I see it you are going to go to all the work to get the guitar exactly how you want it in every other aspect so why compromise on the 'F' holes.

I know if I was doing this project and left the f holes or tried to compromise on them, no matter how good the end result would look if the f holes weren't what I wanted it would always haunt me, but I'm a bit pedantic like that, my other hobby is cars and I will detail everything I can when putting them together, even if it's going to be covered. Even to the point where I try to have every bolt facing the same way on a part or a panel, others might not pick faults in what I do but I know they are there and that's enough for me.

Like others can't wait to see it, I'm sure I will be a fan of the colour.

Rob_Brindley likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    3 is the compromise position. It’s up to you if you are a compromiser.
    Me? I don’t believe in rules. So I’d go with 3 if larger f-holes were paramount to me.

Rob_Brindley likes this.
  15. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Thanks for your input folks. I've been thinking about it last night and this morning and, the more I think, the less I like option 1. I really don't like the standard F holes on the streamliner and I think it will always bug me if I don't do anything about it. It would be a shame to do all this work to them and not be happy with it in the end...

My current plan is to make templates of the 6120 shape F holes at various different sizes inbetween and see if I can find a size and position on the guitar that I like. If I can get that shape to sit over the smaller F holes in a good place / size, I think that will be the neatest way to proceed. If I don't like how it looks, we'll completely fill the original holes and cut from scratch.

Will post another update in a few days when we've decided on how to proceed.

Rob.

TSims1, englishman and Merc like this.
  16. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Problem here is that the circular bits at the end are always going to be an issue if you try and lengthen. I believe you will only be able to slightly lengthen them. But you could make them a little bolder and add binding.

As a side note, I kid of like the streamliner positioning, especially the volume knobs. On the higher end models those knobs are tucked up under the Bigsby and strings, which seems to me a harder spot to access them. On the Streamliners the knobs are in a more compact area and are much more easy to get your hands on.

17. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Indeed, it's going to be a challenge. It's probably going to end up being a hybrid of the two, but we'll see how it looks. My main issue with the streamliner F holes in the shape - I really don't think they suit the 6120 size body. So, if I can get the correct shape, even if it's still smaller, it will be a vast improvement in my eyes.

Honestly, I'm a very simple player - Everything on my guitars is left fully up. The only control I will touch through a gig is the pickup selector so it really doesn't affect me all that much. Infact, they're all going on this build, other than the master volume. To be honest, I could live without that too, but it would look a little strange and we already have a TVJ Hotrod harness that I don't really want to cut.

18. John Drummond

John Drummond Gretschie

Feb 26, 2016
    Stockport, England
    On my gold G2420T I was thinking of enlarging the F-holes and picked up some fake f-hole stickers to try out for size.
    [​IMG]

with careful positioning they cover 99.% of the original holes leaving a slight gap (just by the indent circle of the original hole) Like I said these were just for size purposes, I think enlarging by 3mm all round would make a F-hole that looks pretty good on these models.

original stickers are from ebay and cost £4 inclusive of post & packing.
    Gold outline https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Hole-G...311757?hash=item3cf5f1f1cd:g:pYYAAOSwqu9VEsuP

Silver outline https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Hole-G...499484?hash=item3aa5f6841c:g:LcUAAOSwNSxVEsqW

19. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    John, that looks lovely! Really, very well done! Thanks for the links - I've got a vinyl printer at work so I've made my own F holes and I'm currently trying to settle on a shape.

Can you tell me how you did the inlays on the neck? They look great too!

Rob

20. John Drummond

John Drummond Gretschie

Feb 26, 2016
    Stockport, England
    Thanks, The western inlays are actually decals bought from creative cuts on ebay (they also do the horseshoe or steers head decal)
    as you can theres a slight gap on either side of the first one (I dont thits that noticable less your looking for it) other than that they all fit perfectly (slight misfit at 3rd fret was my mistake now corrected). They also do a aged version (I prefer the non aged)
    [​IMG]
    MOP Western Inlays
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mop-Bloc...m23a489f97c:g:A4kAAOSwc15bOqbl&frcectupt=true

Aged western Blocks (not as good as normal MOP)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aged-Pearl-Blocks-Fretboard-Marker-Vinyl-Inlay-Decal-for-Gretsch-BASS-and-GUITAR (/153084362481?hash=item23a489fef1:g:00wAAOSwfHVbOqdm&

MOP Horseshoe & logo
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-H...m23a74dac7b:g:2ZoAAOSwl39bajoI&frcectupt=true

The store is currently closed till the 27 / 1 /20

Rob_Brindley likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice