2020 Epiphone-headstock-SG-goes-Gibson-instead NGD

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by BorderRadio, Feb 20, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I meant to post this earlier, so really a delayed NDG...

I pre-ordered a new 2020 Epiphone SG Pelham Blue Special, the P90 thing that was supposed to kill upon delivery. The bad news is the pickup routes on mine were scraped on the edge to bare wood, and there were at least 3 dead-note frets. Everything else was hella bada$$ for a neck diving guitar. I really liked the almost green tint on the blue too.

I took it back for the President’s Day sale at GC, and well, I just went Gibson instead. In this case, a Les Paul Special Tribute double cut. This was the way to go @599. No neck dive, no dead notes, all the P90-wraparound tone and the rosewood was dark. Some minor tooling marks, sure, and a slightly skinny neck but it’s got some shoulder and width so I don’t notice. I’m happy—this thing is getting some DeArmond Model 2000 clone/Gabajo pickups....why not? Also gonna work out a single ply tortoise shell guard for this thing. I think it will work :)

E8252868-F66C-4D92-B1D1-36F7DD022F08.jpeg FF98259A-7D1D-4607-8549-AE196291ABF5.jpeg 347841DA-FAD5-4504-8D50-B7DE40AC6A32.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pickguard is growing on me:

951743E0-3BD7-424B-8D78-5DEF9BB1B089.jpeg 36DE0D24-F417-4079-8298-43B23B91FC79.jpeg 70F7488D-553C-45B9-A704-B3D9B916E199.jpeg

Tele295, benjwri, diamoroso and 9 others like this.
  3. floeighty2

floeighty2 Gretschie

Oct 1, 2014
    Manchester
    Both cool in my opinion, that SG looks pretty good! I’d like that colour on the DC though....hmm

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, Epiphone knocked it out the park at NAMM.

That headstock is actually really close to old Epiphone(pre-Gibson takeover) designs.
    [​IMG]

Wait... didn’t see you made a second post haha!

Rusty Silver and BorderRadio like this.
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats! Bummer about the Pelham Epi, but every one of the DC Tributes I've picked up has done the job well. I really like the "natural" finish too. I'd probably have to cut a new guard for it if I were to wind up w/ one, but I could see it growing on me too.

Which Faber is going on it ? :) Edit: NM, after a closer look, I see you were well ahead of me... That's the one I was trying to get last week from them for my SG.

diamoroso and BorderRadio like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    SG’s are classic, but I prefer the Les Paul Specials. That mahogany looks sweet. It looks like a nice satin finish too.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    `

I’m thinking of new ways to cut a guard but it just won’t work.. so a single ply tortoise is already on my mind. The hard part is since it’s semi transparent, the cavities will be showing through. Have you seen the limited TV Yellow Tribute put out by CME? Looks bad to me, printed and multi-ply. Maybe though, I’ll just try a hand-cut one first before I make a routing pattern.

The Faber won’t intonate the low E and A strings, it maxed out against the post. Bummer, shopping for something with a solid bar. Gonna try the Graph Tech one, but popping out the magnets they put in to ‘lock’ the bar on (wtf?). The ABM bar is a little expensive, might just go back to the stock bar.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I hadn't caught the TV Yellow one, I really like the finish (although it looks more like a blond than a TV Yellow to me). I'd likely do bakelite or a 5 ply black guard on one, but I gravitate more towards the black guards in general.

That's a bummer about the Faber, I've got one of them on my blue SC Melody Maker & it worked like a dream there but there's always a bit of a gamble w/ what is essentially a compensated bar on fixed studs. Is it still pretty well in the collar on the low side? You might be able to make it work w/ longer screws... Another thing that could help is locking studs if you've got some tilt to the bridge in the collars.

I've been waiting for another set of Faber's locking studs to come in before I spent time intonating the SG, but the hybrid tone bar one on there now seems really close w/ plenty of room on the screws. Sounds really great, w/ gobs of cool overtone harmonic content. It would be a bit much if I was looking for pristine cleans out of it, but it does really great things for the hairy saturated cleans & beyond. I was mainly looking for the compensated billet style one for comparison sake but I think I'd also like the more classic aesthetic of it on there too.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Too bad the Epi didn't live up to it's billing. I just bought the Gibson version and it is really sweet. I haven't done a NGD on it yet.

The LP DC looks pretty sweet. Congrats, ya gotta love P90s.

10. Is it me, or does the red one resemble a corvette? Too bad about the blue, nice color. Is the red one light weight? As time goes by, light weight works better for me.

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I heard good things about the recent DCs. Why don`t you go with the P90s?

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    While that blue was a killer color, this little LP should be a killer guitar. Congrats.

I've been liking both the single and double cut LP Specials for a long time. The TV Yellow keeps my attention, even tho I keep resisting. Lol

Looks like Gibson and Epi are both making nice versions again. Just basic and raw.

Have a blast pickin'

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats!

Been hearing about the Epi's having high fret problems lately.

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I can’t stand the Strat type pick guard on the Gibson. It’s so cheeeep. What is that pathetic looking appendix in the treble cut away? Either follow the guitar’s outline or make it contrasting ala the Merle Haggard Tele pickguard. Replace the section that covers the controls with metal ala Music man.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I smell some cheap modding projects coming up...:)

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got pretty hardcore about the DC Jr too,— needs the right body shape, pickguard shape, headstock, neck profile, knob position...and didn’t care if it was Gibson who made it (4K? No way). I didn’t even like these Tributes at first sight, because of said pickguard.

I’m over that now. Never really was into Gibson beyond the weird cheap stuff (I liked my Firebird Zero), and this is weird and cheap enough :) If you ask me, that appendix is the only thing referencing the original DC guard. I thought about the metal control plate too. Because of the route and screw placement, there really isn’t much to reduce or alter on the guard either. I do think a thick, single ply tort is the way to go...maybe dunno. Looks Ok to me on the CME TV Yellow limited edition:

15827083-5C5A-402E-B09F-4ACDC7E201CF.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Ricochet likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, looks a lot like my mid 60s Corvette, which even has the grain showing. My Corvette has a bigger neck though, my only complaint on the Tribute—neck is on the thin side. It’s super light too, haven’t weighed it but I bet it’s between 6 and 7 lbs.

I changed my mind, these P90s are way too nice, as in nice and rude. Bright, lots of different usable tones by rolling down both controls, combined in different ways. The P90 sized Dyna I have laying around is going in something else, for now...

loudnlousy likes this.
  18. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice