2009 Cycling

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jeff O, Feb 2, 2009.

..."we have joy we have fun'...

I just threw up a little in the back of my throat

1. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Afternoon Delight, 69 ?

Yeah, BABY, YEAH ! NOW we're talking.

I know, Barn... errrrr Jukebox, keep it clean.

When's that new babe of your's gonna loosen up so's men can be men once again ?

2. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    BACK ON TOPIC

It's only 50 F here, barely, but the gang is going out for 40 or so miles around 10 or 10:30 am. Hopefully the rain will hold off until 2pm. It's threatening, that's for sure.

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    You are forgetting we have some youg ladies here on the G-T now so behave!!:) At least they are nicer to look at than that mug of yours!

4. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    You're one to talk, Jukebox. I figured if I was gonna get lectured by a school marm I may as well deserve it. I think your scolding of Wenzel and me yesterday was unnecessary and uncalled for.

It's becoming apparent that the heavy handed authoritarianism around here is coming down on me.

So I'll get a few more cycling posts in before I'm banned.

42.8 miles today. In heavy wind again. At least the return trip was a bit easier, although with yesterday's hard ride and the wind going out today, if we didn't have the wind at our backs I may have been calling the wife for a ride home.

5. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Just trying to stop something before it goes to far. Nothing was to be meant by it. I have to say sorry for that one! So to you and wenzel sorry for taking it the wrong way.

6. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    I know you mean well, Jukey. That was just out of left field, and I had no idea what precipitated it.

7. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    1019.2 miles so far this year, beginning Jan 1 2009.

8. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    NOTE:

This is the equivalent of pedaling all the way to the Party at Jukebox's, and half way home.

9. fretbuzzard

fretbuzzard Former Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Not here.
    Hey all,
    I'm new to the thread (and to the forum, for that matter!) but thought I'd jump in here. I'm a pretty avid cyclist here in Minneapolis--year-round commuter, sport road cyclist, and part-timer at a local bike shop. Lately most of my miles have been commuting, but I invested in a new frame in the fall and am just starting to put some real miles on that. I've got love for all bikes and cyclists--roadies, commuters, mountain bikers, recreational and family cyclists, even hipsters on their fixies--and tend to think that any bike is good enough for most folks so long as it's been on the stand of a good mechanic.

Along those lines--Wenzel, you can get a lot of bike for a few hundred bones, more than enough for your stated goals. Keep an eye on craigslist or the like, or stop by a bike shop and see what they have in your price range. My one bit of advice if you buy used or go "big box"--have your bike checked out by a pro mechanic. It won't cost you a ton of money for a basic safety check, and you'd be amazed some of the things we find wrong with used bikes or new bikes that were assembled by workers who are payed per bike assembled! Have fun with your family, and enjoy the season (in the sun or otherwise!).

10. Darwin

Darwin Electromatic

Apr 25, 2009
    Medford, WI
    It's raining here in central Wisconsin and my son and I are getting ready to start riding for real this spring. He did a cross-country trip two years ago from Seaside, OR to Plymouth, MA with the bike club he belonged to. A movie was released a few months ago about it (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1378170/). He had been riding for a few months prior to taking the trip and made the entire trip. He has a bike that was used on the trip, a Trek, and I have a Finnish Tunturi, which is a lot like me, ancient and in need of some TLC (the cross-member behind the crankcase broke off and needs to be reattached).

I was an avid cyclist back in the early 1970's thru the mid-80's and am getting back into it. What I was surprised most about was the price and sophistication of bikes compared to when I was riding (a 12-speed was exotic). It will be interesting to see how my riding compares to my son's. My son's bike was $700.00 new and that was entry level. I remember when $700.00 would get a professionally set-up competition bike!

Times have changed.

11. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    That cross-country trip is a wonderful thing for those kids to do, and for a very good cause.

12. Darwin

Darwin Electromatic

Apr 25, 2009
    Medford, WI
    Yes it was and it was a wonderful thing for him. He suffers from a form of Autism called Ausperger's Syndrome and this trip boosted his self-esteem enormously. Plus he was able to live a dream I wanted.

These are 2 pics of him during the trip.

Attached Files:

13. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    I wish I had the time to do a ride like that.

The way I got into cycling was to do El Tour De Tucson as a fund raiser for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Raised about $4000, and rode over 2000 miles that first year. Been doing it ever since.

Longest ride was 150 miles in a day. 3800 miles would be a total blast.

14. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    I'd say the cuties hovering over him put a boost into that self esteem.

That second picture had to be early in the ride. I'm sure his legs were much thicker after 3800 miles.

15. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    He is obviously having a great time. That is a very long distance to pedal, and it looks like he had some good company with him.

16. Darwin

Darwin Electromatic

Apr 25, 2009
    Medford, WI
    I forget how much was raised, but it was good amount and Jett's particular form of Muscular Dystrophy got some much needed publicity.

Yes and no. He's always had a stray blonde or two trailing after him since grade school, the little rugrat;). But he's at the age now to appreciate what it means to have their attention. So that's a big yes. He is all legs and arms, like a few q-tips taped to a popsicle stick. His legs are still as skinny. But I was exactly the same way at his age. So that will be a no.

It took them most of the summer, he got home a few days before school started. It was a good group, even though at times they did have their spats. But it was all for a good cause and I would have killed for a chance to join him.:rolleyes:

I am very proud of him.

17. Darwin

Darwin Electromatic

Apr 25, 2009
    Medford, WI
    Oh btw GreatGretsch, I love your signature.:D:D:D:D

18. After reading all you wrote about the young man, I'd bet we all are.

Just wait'll you get to know the author.

19. Darwin

Darwin Electromatic

Apr 25, 2009
    Medford, WI
    Is that a good or bad thing?:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice