Join Gretsch-Talk Today

2 amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by MKunie, Mar 31, 2017.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Best of both worlds!

Telechamp likes this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Invest in a Luckhurst 22w Princeton Reverb. Then you'll have two different but excellent textures at comparable volumes. The stereo swirl should be monstrous and really 3d.

I'll try it for you and see how it works. :D

Robbie likes this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Perfect

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Mark, that looks like a stellar set up. Both amps have amazing sounds but different. I bet the blend brings out the best of both.

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've been using 2 amps live and in the studio for about 20 years.
    I sort of fell into this by accident.
    I was trying amps out in the studio to see which one would work better for a song I was recording and realized that the best sound was when I used both of them together.
    That setup a Vox ac 15 & a 65 Fender Deluxe I've been using for recording & live for a long time now.
    On a recent session I've been blending the 65 deluxe with a 65 Ampeg Gemini I amp.
    What a really great rhythm sound that combination gives me.
    Also the Gemini I with a Sterling 5E3 clone amp - very bluesy and full.
    Tone combinations are endless when you blend several amps together.
    More so in the studio than live just because in the studio you usually have time to record a take and fiddle with the blend while you play the tracks back - trying different balances and switching phase on mics can also give you a lot of tone variations.
    Lots of fun and guaranteed to put a smile on you face and make you want to keep playing...:D

Waxhead and J Bird like this.
  6. doctorock78

doctorock78 Electromatic

Apr 3, 2018
    Honolulu, HI
    Just discovered that my old faithful '75 Princeton Reverb (Fender) and newly acquired '65 Reverberocket 2 (Ampeg) sound TOTALLY different. Like in different universes.... As is well known. Last night at rehearsal I ran them simultaneously via the stereo outs on my RE-20.......... OMG. My best tones to date. It's like they fill each others frequency holes as 2 pieces of a tasty tasty puzzle. Now I have to lug them to all gigs forever... Sorry spine!! Sorry knees!!

7. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Ah, another necro-thread. Multiple amps used to be my thing. I have an old Boss junction box with 1 input and 4 outputs. One of my favorite combinations back in the 90s was a 1960 Tweed Tremolux and a 1971 20 watt Marshall small box head into a 1/12 cabinet (still have that Marshall!). Also did a 57 and 59 tweed Princeton pairing, a tweed and a brown 63 Princeton and two 62 blonde Tremolux's. Man talk about tone...

Haven't done multiple amps in ages, most are stored in the basement. Need to rearrange my space and try some pairings. I do have a Blues Jr. NOS and my Vox AC15 C1 TV I was thinking of pairing. And a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and a Bassman reissue also downstairs... man, I need to move some stuff around!

8. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Love multi-amp setups. Multi-amp recording is really really common too.

9. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    I've dabbled with multi-mic recording for years (one mic close and one about 15 ft out) but the multi-amp approach had never occurred to me. Sounds like fun. I guess I'll try it with 4 mics.

T Bone likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    For stage use now, about 98% of the time I use two '68 CDR's connected by a Radial ABY. This is contrary to the two different sounding amplifier set up others use which I'm sure is stellar. I use one amp on the Vintage side and the other on the Custom side, what a big, beautiful fat sound. Sustain for days with little to no OD.