1st Salmon ever

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    As most of you know my other hobby is fishing, well the fly rod didnt produce thursday so i broke out the spinning gear friday morning, within a few minutes, two broke off on me, i upped my leader size then i thought i got caught on the bottom, then the bottom MOVED! Ha ha ha...
    Fish took off down stream...after a good five minutes of back and forth, several jumps and a few attempts to break me off on stumps, i got it close to shore and a fellow angler tailed her and got her up on the beach, some friends and my sister are getting a nice meal courtesy of my sore arm. 15lbs!
    20190920_094527.jpg
    I know there's a few fisherman here, this is my biggest fish ever. Post some salmon/steelhead pics if you got em...
    Fish on!

gtttrrr, emitex, speedicut and 13 others like this.
  2. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    What river is that in which state?
    We have Salmon here in the NZ south island. Never caught any, always Rainbows.

3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Up state new york,
    salmon river
    Man i'd love to fish NZ, those trout are no joke

4. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Man, that's a fish!

5120mantis likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    wOw with a capital O!

5120mantis likes this.
  6. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Nice - Salmon river fun

5120mantis likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats on the catch Mantis . Upstate NY , nothing like it and it looked familiar as I have gone up to the Roscoe , East Branch , Hancock N.Y. area quite often in the past . Beautiful part of the State of New York

5120mantis and blueruins like this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Slightly disappointed in this thread. From the title I thought you found yourself a Man Salmon Gretsch. But congrats on the fish?? :D

5120mantis and larryb like this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Me too!...Was hoping to see a Tim Armstrong

5120mantis and dak55 like this.
  10. My son is a fish maniac. And only 14. He is figuring out where to go next year on his flashing trip. Already has ice fishing on that list(i will stay home for that one, wife can take him}. But he has been talking about NY state. Wants to fly fish for trout. So if anyone has suggestions. There needs to be a hotel with a pool close by or i am not going. Dont mind the day trip through the woods, but need civilization at the end of the day.

5120mantis likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My brother lived in Alaska for awhile. He was all about the salmon. They grow 'em big up there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    5120mantis likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Interesting story. About 20 years ago my boss at that time took his son fishing at Rivers Inlet Alaska. The son caught his first salmon ever. It was 73 pounds! His fishing days were spoiled for sure after that. We had it mounted on the wall in the office at work. Pacific Salmon. I guess in NY those are Atlantic Salmon?

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I used to go alot, like 15 years ago. This photo just turned up a couple weeks ago. Feather River Ca. King Salmon. 20190921_141640.jpg not no 15 pounder but still nice eatin;)

5120mantis likes this.
  14. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    From the other (Pacific) coast.. Most of the salmon caught around here are caught in the ocean. There are some excellent rivers for the runs when they happen. Biggest one for me was out of the salt water. About 45 lbs. most locally 10-20 lbs I would guess.

Not many better ways to spend time, imo.

5120mantis and wildeman like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, that one I'm holding was right around 8or9 lbs and nice and silver.
    I got a big 39 pounder out of there but it was kinda tired, more like reeling in a big catfish. These fresh smaller one's are pretty acrobatic and exciting.
    Tricky fish though, my catch to lost ratio was about 10 to 1.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    5120mantis and BrianW like this.
  16. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    That sounds like lake fishing in the Arctic - some go for the huge lake trout (40 lb range) but I only caught one and it was as you described, like pulling up a boot full of water. It also tasted like mud. Near the surface for the "little" guys at 2-5 lbs a lot more fun, and more edible; if one keeps them.

5120mantis and wildeman like this.
  17. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The Atlantic's run through in August, right now it's Chinook and Coho, they were introduced to lake Ontario years ago

swivel likes this.
  18. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My wife's cousin's husband had a boat he kept in the Berkeley marina up in the Bay Area (northern California). We went up for a visit and he asked if I wanted to go out fishing with him and his friends the next morning. I said if I woke up in time (call time was 4:30 am), I'd go. For some reason, I did. Stopped at the store at the marina to get me a one-day fishing license and whaddya know, Fish and Game declared that day a no-license-needed day in an effort to get people to fish more (this was easily 30 years ago). OK, no license required, let's go. Off we went, into the cold, and got about 10 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge. Everybody's got a line out, and who hooks one? Me. A big one. Fought it for a while, and with some help, wrestled it onto the deck and put it out of its misery. It weighed 28 lbs. (a Silverbrite, I think). Smoked salmon and lox for weeks. I've never had any desire to go fishing much again, because it'd be hard to beat that experience.

5120mantis likes this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    This is my favorite kind of fishing and I go at least 2x's a month....I guess you can say, I prefer just eating the bait...
    Salmon, tuna, eel....YUM!!!

bait.jpg

shrews824 and Bertotti like this.
  20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Amazing - I'll bet it was a blast! How'd it taste?

I can't share steelhead or salmon, but I can share wild alpine trout from 13k feet. They were deep red like salmon and tasted like steelhead. The longest were about 20". We caught a few more than this and were full when it was all said and done:

trout.jpg

5120mantis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice