Join Gretsch-Talk Today

1st gen G5420T vs newest G5420T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Nick_66, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hi Nick, congrats on the great guitar. I would try contact spray first. Hopefully you can get Deoxit. You shouldn't have to remove the switch, just make sure you immediately clean off any spray that may inadvertently get on the finish. Not a panic but you should clean it off.

By the way, I don't know how I missed this thread before, but I own a first gen 5420 and a new FSR a couple of months old. They are both great guitars and the difference wouldn't make your eye water if it got stuck in your cornea.

2. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I just bought a Setzer Hot Rod. 7 months ago I bought a Green 5420.. New one. Its great. I'm on the fence about selling it. Yes the Setzer one is better, but the green Gretsch is a NICE NICE NICE guitar.

3. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    I am not sure if the spray will reach the contacts of the switch, but I will give it a try.

I personally like the headstock more then the newer G5420T and also the binding.

4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Are TV Jones pickups drop ins for a G5420t the Black and Gold really caught my eye over the weekend.

5. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    I have discovered a second problem on my Gretsch G5420T which is more of a cosmetic problem. Don't think it will influence the playability of the guitar. When you look along the neck from the headstock down to the tremolo, I can see that the Bigsby tremolo is not properly alligned with the strings. I have removed the tremolo and noticed that there is some play in the hinge pin. The tremolo is nicely placed in the middle of the body. If I am able to remove the play in the hinge pin I think the tremolo will be nicely aligned with the strings.

I can remove the hinge pin and replace it with a new one, but will this solve the play in the hinge pin?

6. ogandou

ogandou Electromatic

Mar 25, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I don't have the 1st gen model so I can't compare, but I've got the newest model, and I can vouch that it's really awesome for fingerpicking blues. Especially with the bridge pickup with a little bit of dirt on it. These guitars are absolutely awesome... and they sound really good unamplified as well, at least IMHO. So I've had a lot of fun playing just acoustic blues on it...

7. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    I use my Gretsch on a Fender Mustang III V2 amp and indeed, it really sounds great! Do you also use the Bigsby tremolo?

8. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Nobody who can answer this?? :(

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Nick, can you take a photo looking down the strings from the bottom of the guitar towards the headstock. Particularly, include the Bigsby mounting plate that is screwed to the bottom of the guitar. It will help a lot.

10. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    I will try to make a picture, but I think it will be hard to get the littlebit misaligned tremolo on picture.

The mounting plate is nicely fixed to the body and not askew mounted.

I have this problem with my Gretsch:

The tremolo is nicely centered to the body and I have the problem described in the Youtube film just the other way around.

Placing a spacer between the body and the mounting plate is the method I like to fix this problem.

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    That's what I would suggest and the reason I asked for the pic - to see if something obviously needed a shim.

12. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    I understand that the Bigsby B6's & B60's have some hinge play. My 5120's bigsby was mounted correctly. The heavier bass strings were pulling the bigsby out of alignment. I put a shim under the left side where the bigsby screws onto the butt of the guitar. Make sure you don't disconnect the grounding wire contacted to the bigsby.

13. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    I made a mistake in my post! I don't like to shim the tremolo, because there will be some space between the tremolo and body. I don't like the way that looks.

Solving the play in the hinge pin, would the tremolo then be better aligned?