Join Gretsch-Talk Today

1st gen G5420T vs newest G5420T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Nick_66, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,

Just signed up on this forum and greetings from the Netherlands!

I am deciding between the 1st gen and the newest model. The 1st gen G5420T I can get for €750 new and the latest model for €869

I now the differences between both, but most are just cosmetic except for the treble bleeding on the master volume.

What I also would like to now if these Gretsch guitars are suitable for blues and playing fingerpicking blues on it? I do like rockabilly, but that's a style I am not focussing on.

Would really appreciate your answers to my question!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. Mark S

Mark S Electromatic

Mar 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    Ha Nick. A quick reply from Holland. Another advantage of the newer version is the graphite nut?
    I've seen the "old" ones secondhand on Marktplaats for +-/ 550 euros. Installing a treble bleed mod about 2 euros. A graphite nut maybe 50 euros when done by a luthier. Buy a Compton bridge. 85 euro incl shipping. And then there's still some money left.

Anything but serious high gain can be done.

3. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Nick! Good reply above from your countryman Mark S.

4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    IMG_3996.JPG Welcome Nick!!!
    I have both models an Orange 2015 model & Fairlane Blue 2016 model ..
    There's really not much in it but the newer model is slightly better..
    Just feels & sounds a bit better..
    Both awesome guitars though..

CatTones, Les Pedals, Mag3 and 2 others like this.
  5. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Hi Nick_66 welcome to the forum. I think most Gretsch players would say their guitars are really versatile, not just for rockabilly. Don't know much about the two guitars you are considering but as you can already see you are in the right place to get help. I am quite new here myself, but I knew Trash Kidd was going to give you good advice. By the way when you buy people like a picture

Trash Kidd likes this.
  6. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Welcome.
    They will play n sound great with whatever you can play.

Is there any reason that your particularly looking at just those two models.

Have you concidered a used proline?
    Regards Dave

7. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    The new headstock has less string angle above the nut making for a more stable tuning. Some old G5420T may not have the pinned bridge. Again a pinned bridge is great at keeping things in place when changing strings (intonation) and also makes Bigsby action more stable in my experience. I would take the new one anyday.

Les Pedals and Trash Kidd like this.
  8. joy-z

joy-z Electromatic

May 4, 2016
    NJ
    It's not graphite. It's a Nubone nut, which is some sort of synthetic material, but still better than plastic.

Les Pedals and Mark S like this.
  9. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Electromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    The new 5420 model is a totally different guitar compared to the original 1st gen 5420 with the weird chrome pickup rings and the floating bridge. They sound better, look better, and are more comfortable to play. The price difference isn't much I'd definitely go with the newer model on this one

Aymara, Trash Kidd and audept like this.
  10. Nick_66

Nick_66 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the help!

I made up my mind and decided to go for the new G5420T. Not sure which color.....Aspen green or Gretsch orange :)

Would like to learn some easy rockabilly songs like for example this guy on Youtube is playing:

I am not a fast player so learning this style would possible frustrate me o_O

Pictures of my new Gretsch coming up soon!

11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Not entranced by the Fairlane Blue?

Les Pedals likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada

Welcome to GT. I can guarantee you a Gretsch fits very well with Blues...Rock or Jazz or....... I play Blues, R&B and Soul and my Gretsch is my go to.

As far as Fingerpicking is concerned a friend of mine is insanely talented at Fingerpicking and his go to is a White Falcon. Check out Rick Taylor when you get a chance.

So not to worry, you're in good Company.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  14. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Im totall gassing for the newer version. but if Im gonna save that kind of money again for another 5420, I would be better off saving more to get a proline and maybe sell the 5420 to recover some.

15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    This is totally wrong, they are exactly the same guitars. Besides the wiring harness and the nut materials the differences are just cosmetics. The pinned bridge isn't pinned but secured and a tone killer. Both models got the same asian pkups and the same asian hardware.

16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    No they are not ... treble bleed, smaller headstock and better nut material make the new gen clearly a better guitar.

But because our new Dutch friend is a Blues player, he might also have a look at the Streamliners, because their pickups might suit this genre better, than Blacktops:

17. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    I like my 1st generation 5420 with Blacktops for Blues and Rock'n'Roll, but then I'm not thinking about genre-specific guitars. Use what you like, a BT equipped 5420 will cover a lot of ground from Country to Pop (no Metal, but some serious Hard Rock will also be possible).

18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Sorry, but a smaller headstock is a cosmetic detail, the pots on the 5420 are good (even TV Jones says so) and a Delrin or a Tusq nut are both "plastics" (Brian Setzer e.g. prefers Delrin). A treble bleed is about 3€. Those cosmetics are the reason for the rising Electromatic prices and I'm sure the missing ELECTROMATIC moniker is the most important detail for most customers on the new generation Electros. But still the same guitar: same body, same neck, same electronics, same (cheap) hardware.

Aardvarks-R-Us likes this.
  19. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    No, it is not, because the less steep brake angle between nut and tuning post causes less trouble regarding tuning stability.

I absolutely don't care, what VIPs choose. My own experience tells me, that Tusc is the best nut material besides bone, so superior to Delrin.

It's out of question, that the old model is a good guitar, but I don't have time for mods, so I would prefer the new model. People who have time for modding and good tools available might don't care. I do and that's why I didn't buy a G5422, but spared longer for a Panther ;)

20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I do care, because professionals use our playtoys as workhorses. I don't have any tuning issue with my Delrin nut (because it's well slotted) or the old headstock - and I'm a real Bigsby guy. Afaik the Falcon is also "Delrin equipped", btw. You mustn't mix Delrin with simple plastic.

And -as said before, the hardware/ pickups on 1st and last generation is the same. Uh, and some of the older electros are built in the great peerless plant if I am right.