Join Gretsch-Talk Today

1989 6122 Country Classic I ….Opinions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by aticus, Feb 12, 2018.

1. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    Hello Gretsch folks! I am about to buy a 89 6122 here country classic I that a fri be here in Barcelona says it’s a GREAT Gretsch. First year of rebirth made in Japan. I was looking for a 92 Tennessea Rose that is on sale also but this friend of mine said. I’d go for the 6122.

I don’t know which ar the big differences between them but I know what I like. That classic filtertron classic gretsch sound. An example:

I would appreciate your opinions if any have one from those years.
    Thanks very much!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    In short, the Country Classic is one inch wider, and has a much thinner body. Whichever one you pick, look closely at the pickup heights, and adjust according to TV Jones advice (shim up the pickups if you need to). This makes a HUGE difference in the sound. I have a 1991 6120, a 1993 6120, and a 1994 Silver Jet.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    If it’s the double cutaway Country Classic it might be a fairly dark sounding guitar with waffle-board on the inside. I’d play it carefully and listen to the sound though an amp before deciding. They are great guitars, but even the vintage ones could be dark sounding and weigh over 8 pounds.

4. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    If possible you need to try to play them both and decide for yourself not go off what people tell you because after all your the one that’s going to be spending your money on it n be playing it.
    The Tennessee rose is more of an entry level proline.

5. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    Thanks
    It’s a Single cut 6122. I’ll try the stock ceramic filters on it
    What’s the difference in sound compared to a 92 Tennessee Rose? I see they’re quite similar pickups and electronics aren’t they?

daddydog how good is your 91 6120?

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The single cutaway might be brighter. I have the 2012 equivalent and it’s a great instrument. It will be a heftier sound than the Tennessee Rose, but recognizably similar, just a huskier version of the Gretsch sound.

The stock ceramics are not bad pickups. You might find them to be just fine for your needs.

7. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    Thanks Synchro
    I understand. I will do my best to try both....the 6122 1989 and 6119 1992

I have a guy down the street selling some tv Jones models

Which TV Jones would be worth trying in those 2 guitars? Which is your choice?
    Classics?
    Classic plus bridge?

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I would start out by getting to know the pickups that came with these models. The ceramic Filtertrons sound very nice. I once swapped ceramics for HS Filters, only to later regret the swap. If you want TVs, I’d suggest either the Supertron/Classic+ combination of a pair of Duo-Trons.

9. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    Thanks for all great inputs......I decided to pass on the Tennessee rose 92 ( I just seen a demo of the seller and find it thinner sounding) and go for the classic cause I think it sounds heftier or bigger as Synchro advised

Price is great. About 1600$ selling by a professional player on Barcelona. This is how it sounds.

http://www.vogue.es/vogue-t...

Classic gretsch sound. By now it sounds great to me. I must play it by myself!
    How can I know if the harness is good or not? Can I take photos and bring them here?

First I’ll try those ceramic pickups cause they sound great enough by now
    Great inputs here very very helpful!!

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That sounds great. I wouldn’t change a thing. If any of the pots become noisy, they can be replaced, but if there are no problems, I wouldn’t wrote baout the harness.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I had an '89 G6122/Country Classic and a '91 G6119/Tennessee Rose.

They are really well made guitars. Classic Gretsch sound? Well, not really.

The stock ceramic magnet Filtertrons are OK (they are overwound at ~8k ohms), but don't have the sound and clarity of the latest alnico V magnet HS Filtertrons (HSF). I use two neck HSFs (4.1k ohms; see my signature block) in my '05 G6122 and it sounds like my old 1962 G6120. I also use TruArc bar bridge.

I have had a set of TV Jones classics. The neck pickup sounds good (like a vintage Filtertron), but the bridge is overly trebly, to my ears. They are also more expensive than the Gretsch HSFs.

12. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    Thanks folks
    I’ll try the ceramic ones first

Zacky, HS filters are the stock pickups from the fender era? After ceramics ?
    For example in this video I like the sound of stock ones over the TVs...
    Are they stock or HS filters?

13. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    This is the sound I’m after played clean

This is the sound I’m after played rock ( see 0.15 seconds)

That gretsch 89 6122 can get aprox to that sound with ceramic pups or should be changed to other filters or should I get a 6120? Jajaja

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    1. yes
    2. I can't tell from the video; check with the uploader in the 1st video to see if he ever swapped out the pickups or left it stock.

I have an 2005 G6122-1962. The stock Filtertrons, even though they supposedly had alnico magnets, didn't sound that good.
    I bought a set a HSFs for another Gretsch I had, circa 2012; they sounded great. Somewhere between 2005 and 2012, Gretsch changed the formula for the HSF pickups. The magnets were in the 2012 HSFs are different (I opened up both sets of pickups) than the ones in the 2005 HSFs.

You may be happy with an '89 G6122 retrofitted with two (2) neck HSFs. But, the wood thickness was different back then and was 1/4". If you want to be more, spot on, original G6122/G6120s and fender era models like mine have 1/8" wood thickness.

You mentioned 3 different guitars: an '89 G6122, a '62 G6120 and '62 double cutaway G6120. I don't know which body and color you prefer, so it's hard to make a recommendation.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The difficult thing about this subject, is that all of us have a desired result in our heads, but my desired result is different from Aticus, or Zacky or Tavo; and this applies to pretty much everyone here. For my money, the Supertron family is it, but that's just me. Duo-Trons, Supertrons over Supertrons and Supertrons over Classic+ work for me, but Zacky would probably not like them all that much.

I did learn one harsh lesson, and that was not to try to fix what is not broken. My 6120 N was a great sounding guitar, but after I replaced the ceramic Filtertrons with alnico Filtertrons I didn't like the sound as much. I was guilty of letting the spec-sheet dictate my tastes. Oh well.

I'd just play the heck out of it stock and see if you like it. That may be plenty good enough.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Not so: my first Gretsch was a late 60s ('67?) Streamliner or Black Hawk (hollow, painted f-holes) with Supertron pickups. It had the Gretsch sound. But me being fussy, traded it a couple of years later, towards a '62 G6120 Double Cutaway with Filtertrons.

Supertrons are nice; not quite the clarity (to my ears) of Filtertrons but, they had a nice "punch" to them. :)

17. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Pull those nasty ceramics out ( and send them to me):p. Just messing, leave it alone for a bit, you may love it just like it is.

18. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I may be off topic here, but Marco Di Maggio (the 6120 '62 demo man) is a drinking buddy of mine. ;)

19. aticus

aticus Electromatic

Mar 16, 2014
    Europe
    Jajaja
    That 62 6120 is the gretsch sound!
    I receive the 89 6122 in a couple of days!
    Drink some beers... is good for your health and for your playing!
    :)

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ