Join Gretsch-Talk Today

1968 Gretsch 6122 needs a lot of work what is worth as is?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rcboals, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Needs complete Binding, Neck Reset, Fret Job for sure. Pickups and Electronics are heavily corroded, metal parts are also tarnished Switches work pick ups are very weak mute lever is questionable. I received and estimate of only $2600.00 from someone who has done many Gretches and it would be done right. I don't think on the best day ever a 68 would fetch $2600.00.

Attached Files:

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    More pics

Attached Files:

3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Not worth it in my opinion. Regarding Reverb the average used price is 1600-2500€.

4. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    I would think a couple hundred bucks. It's not a rare guitar. Send the pictures to Curt at Old School Guitar Repair and see what he thinks.

5. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Are you having a laugh????

6. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    OMG...that is one ugly looking repair job. I see a crack in the heel where it fastens onto the body plus what looks like a crack the length of the headstock. Then there's the binding. If you need some dough I would consider selling the parts. Fixing it up is almost a career.

7. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Looks like around $2000 in repairs required from what I see and what you describe. I’d buy a new production ProLine with the money.

Aymara likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Per the Blue Book:

1966-1969 Mint $3,000 EXC+ $2,400 EXC $1,950 VG+ $1,500 VG $1,250 G $1,000

I wouldn't call that even good condition, so well < $1000 would be for me.

9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    well :) :) :)

That is a deep gouge not a break in the neck heel, crack is length of headstock. Wonder how that managed to that? Don't need any more money I am on social security. :)

I was thinking if I got it for $100.00 I would attempt the repairs myself for fun. I did this Ric for fun see link below a few years ago but I have never replaced binding. I don't think the neck reset is a big problem just time consuming. Maybe paint it black like Harrison's second one. :) :)
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/ric-rescue-a-moron-did-this-to-a-60s-rickenbacker-345t.75521/

10. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's a charity case for sure but there's some value just in parts.

benjwri likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    How much are they asking for this scrap heap. A $1000 bucks? :rolleyes:

12. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    That includes shipping to you my European friend. :)

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ahhh, a special price "only for you"... How could I resist? :D

All kiddies aside. Are you thinking about taking this on?

14. afire

afire Country Gent

I hate to say it, but this guitar is worth way more as parts than anything else. There's no calculation that makes paying for the repair work make sense. Scavenge $750 in parts, sell off the husk for a few hundred dollars, or spend $2500 on repairs to end up with a $2500 (at best) guitar. In a perfect world, it would wind up in the hands of somebody with the skills to bring it back. Otherwise, it's probably a write-off, not worth spending a penny on as a restoration project.

benjwri and audept like this.
  15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
  16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'd never seen that thread on the Ric, great job there!

This would have to be a labor of love for someone, I keep my eyes open for one I can mess with like that. I always get sad when people pull entire guitars apart and sell off their bones, it's like throwing mojo out the window.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I agree with David.
    If you can do it by yourself and can get the guitar cheap it would be worth considering.
    If you have to give it to a luthier it would not be economically sensible.

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm still amazed when one like this comes up for auction, they usually go for wayyyyyy more than i think they should. Kinda like the 2000.00 Harley Shovelhead, it's gonna be killer once you put 10,000 bux into it....then its worth 8.

19. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Yeah...if you could get it for $100...could be an interesting project. A learning experience for sure. Worst comes to worst: more than $100 buck in parts alone.