1964 Single Anniversary

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by MickeyB, Jul 8, 2019.

1. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    Really pleased with this one. Needed a bit of TLC but in pretty good condition with no rot to the binding. The back of the neck has been refinished and I've replaced what was parts of three sets of tuners with some nice oriental 18:1's similar to those on the current Electromatics.
    Very light with a very thin three-ply top that is quite alive but no distortion and all braces ok. Original small frets which must be very hard because they are all fine and truss rod works well.

I'm not a great fan of the Hi-Lo tron pickups but at 3.5k it's very clean if low in output. I did toy with replacing this with a modern one but found the casings are now too high to fit beneath the strings. This is because here the pickup guts are just held together by the casing, whereas the new versions have proper base plates. A curious design, these pickups - in order to make something able to be surface mounted, the magnet is actually on the side of an L-shaped induction plate that holds the coil.

Just one volume knob and the tone switch - nothing or one capacitor being usable but the really dark one is hopeless and I'll change it - vintage correct or no! I prefer the bigsby bridge here to the original "space-control" - more mass and better compensation.

It's a really good player and I appreciate the light weight. I've fitted a set of 12-gauge tape-wound strings and it's a very effective and sweet-sounding jazz guitar, with a much clearer voice than the usual humbucker equipped type, with the thin top really adding some acoustic presence.
    Gretsch 007.jpg
    Gretsch 008.jpg

2. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
  3. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  4. NTN66

NTN66 Electromatic

Jul 3, 2019
    IL
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I love that model. I’d be tempted to fit a bridge pickup though.:)

6. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    Yes! I did toy with the idea of converting it to the two pickup model and ordered two of the current Hi-lo Trons from Thomann. Found they were too tall to go under the strings as the current Anniversary models must have a different neck geometry. Haven't seen original pickups for sale anywhere except at fantasy prices but it's nice as it is.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I wasn’t even aware the older ones were shorter. Maybe put up a wanted ad in the forum? Hilos are seemingly not the most popular ‘Tron variety around here. Chances are someone changed them out and has a set collecting dust.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats !

Back in the 90's i came across one of these in mint condition ,but it wasn't a great player,i was gutted ,i had my CC out ready and everything,glad i got to try first!

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Annies are great guitars. The Hilo is very special, indeed. I got one in my vintage Corvette. I mostly play that guitar with a good portion of amp overdrive and this pickup loves crunch. It is a valuable sound that records very well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice