1962 Gretsch Stereophonic Anniversary?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Gfife, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Gfife

Gfife Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    35572436-47BF-47E2-A91C-B9B302DEDB79.jpeg C415D30D-9360-4BEC-9FBE-663A1C06EBC0.png Hi, someone in my local area has a Gretsch guitar which I believe is a Stereo Anniversary... I’ve never seen a picture of one except in a picture of a 1961 Gretsch catalog... anyone know anything about this guitar and how rare it may be? Here’s some pics:

2. Gfife

Gfife Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    It’s been advertised as a 1962 6117... but that bridge pickup certainly looks different than any 6117 I’ve seen.

benjwri likes this.
  3. Gfife

Gfife Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    These look like Hilos. That means 1960+

5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  6. audiorep2

audiorep2 Electromatic

Jul 1, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Here is my 1964. 20190228_122207.jpg

new6659, Freshy and benjwri like this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Looks like the stereophonic has a toggle in the master volume position on the upper cut bout

8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Switches and knobs look fine to me..but the bridge pup is closer to the neck than i remember

9. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Looks like it has been converted to the standard HiLo set up, non stereo.

Stereo HiLo's only have 3 pole pieces, and as stated above, the stereo switch that is normally in the master volume, has been removed, with a regular master volume pot installed in its' place.

The stereo pup spacing will give a different sound than regular spaced pups.

Rare, yes before the conversion, desirable, not so much after the conversion.

Best of luck with it.

10. afire

afire Country Gent

While that is a possibility, the more likely story is that this guitar left the factory wired in mono just as you see it. It seems that Gretsch must have overestimated demand for stereo models and routed more bodies for the close pickup spacing than they could sell. When that became apparent, they outfitted them with mono wiring and sold them as the standard models. You see a lot of Country Clubs like this too. And there are a handful of Penguins this way, and even a few 6121s (which were never offered in stereo to begin with, so likely repurposed Penguin bodies). The sunburst stereo Anniversary model number was 6111. If it was a stereo Anniversary converted to mono, then the label should read 6111. If it's labeled 6117, then it was mono from the get-go, just using up a surplus stereo body.

Ricochet, Henry and G5422T like this.
  11. Gfife

Gfife Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Yep, afire nailed it. Apparently the seller contacted Ed Ball who sent him an email saying nearly that exact same thing - that it was routed as a Stereophonic Anniversary (model 6111) but since those never took off they had extra bodies leftover that Gretsch filled with standard electronics (model 6117) which the seller confirmed is how this guitar is labeled on the interior. Case solved. I think I’d like the sound of the Hilotron in the more tradition positions...

12. afire

afire Country Gent

I would generally be inclined to agree, but with HiloTrons being so bright, I can at least see the possibility that this setup might be surprisingly usable, maybe even advantageous. I think you'd have to try it to find out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice