Wanted 1958 Clipper

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell or Trade Negotiations' started by BBQGuitar, Jul 10, 2019.

1. BBQGuitar

BBQGuitar Electromatic

Jul 25, 2016
    New York City
    Hello all! I haven't posted anything in ages, but I'm still around and playing.

Well, the title says it all. I want to specifically purchase a 1958 Clipper. If a a Bigsby has been added, that's fine. With or without an original case - it doesn't matter.

I live in New York City.

Thanks in advance and keep on rockin'!

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My old 59 in my avatar....Great guitars and fabulous necks. Best of luck on your search!

3. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I've got something close... a '58 Streamliner I'd sell. Same filtertron pu (neck position), same brown sunburst finish, same 16" single cutaway body spec. But the Streamliner has the trestle bracing that the Clipper does not, as well as some ornamentation (bound f-holes).

4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I live in Rockland County ( but originally a Bronx boy )... good to see you posting again ;)

BBQGuitar likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Filtertron Streamliner's are great, i miss my blond '58.

6. BBQGuitar

BBQGuitar Electromatic

Jul 25, 2016
    New York City

Have you photos available?

7. afire

afire Country Gent

Hold on a second. Did you just slip up there?

8. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Yep... good catch Afire. '58 Clippers have a Dynasonic single-coil pu, while the '58 Streamliners feature a Filtertron humbucking pu. My bad!

9. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    1958 Streamliner...
    '58 6190 full.JPG '58 6190 Streamliner.JPG

j.s.c, BBQGuitar, thunder58 and 3 others like this.
  10. MichaelHargis

MichaelHargis Gretschie

Apr 2, 2017
    Tucson, Az
    How much are you asking and what size nut?

11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

Of course the choice between '58 Clipper or '58 Streamliner depends on how much one prefers one pickup over the other. But in all other regards, the Streamliner is decidedly the more evolved and refined of the two.

13. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I'm traveling at the moment... shoot me a PM or email and I can give you more specs and better pix of detailed areas in a couple days. Cheers!

14. BBQGuitar

BBQGuitar Electromatic

Jul 25, 2016
    New York City
    Thanks for the photos I requested! Could you please send me a message regarding price and any issues?

Thanks in advance.

15. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    So... what is it about the 58 in particular that is different/you like? Enquiring minds want to know.

16. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I'll answer that... the '58 Clippers (and late '57 as well) have the benefit of having the single cutaway archtop body. Previous model years did not. They also retain the Dynasonic single-coil pickup. Later model years got the new HiloTron (more clearly defining it as a lower-end model within the line). In '59 the body depth was reduced, and many of us prefer the deeper body of the '58. The really desirable '58 Clippers also feature a 2-tone finish (Lotus Ivory top with metalic gray back/sides). I've been hoping to find one of THOSE for the past decade!

audept and swivel like this.
  17. BBQGuitar

BBQGuitar Electromatic

Jul 25, 2016
    New York City

Well, since I was the one who posted this initially, I can tell you what appeals to me. My criteria is a guitar that I like to play, sounds good, is very affordable.....and was made in my birth year. And there ya have it!

swivel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice