17 Guitars, 6 amps. Which to keep?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dafreeze, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Piet Hein (Grooks)
    Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
    and you're hampered by not having any,
    the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
    is simply by spinning a penny.
    No - not so that chance shall decide the affair
    while you're passively standing there moping;
    but the moment the penny is up in the air,
    you suddenly know what you're hoping

2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Can't believe I've not heard this. Excellent, funny and so true...but not in my case as I always know what I'm doing:rolleyes:

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The 3 White guitars AND the Silver Falcon

Lionpotato and dafreeze like this.
  4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

You were the first that came to mind when I decided to let some go Robbie as I distinctly remember not long ago replying to a post you commented on that I couldn't ever see letting anything go again.

Btw, there are 4 white ones.

Robbie likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What are your amp wants and needs. I know what I would keep on your list but I do not know all those amps. The AC is the only absolute keeper to me with the Marshall probably being second. I think I could do without the rest but maybe keep one Fender.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    dafreeze likes this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That's a really nice collection, guitars & amps alike.

I'm guessing you've already made your decisions, but for posterity my picks for what I would move along for my own interests follow:

I'd have to have actually spend some time w/ them both but initial thought would be get rid of the G6136T-59GE & hang onto the Silver Falcon, but that's mostly based on my own aesthetic proclivities. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this wound up the reverse once I'd got to play them a bit.

The Billy Bo White Penguin looks amazing but I'd feel I had the blingy white Gretsches covered w/ the G6136DS & Sterns Penguin :jealous: & think I would want to hang onto the Eman Billy Bo. One Billy Bo would be enough for me.

I've got a fairly strong aversion to most cherry burst-y finishes so 2016 Fender American Elite Ash Strat & 2017 Gibson ES-335 would be out. I think I'd be fine not owning a 335 but I'd "need" a strat to replace this one.

I'd trade/sell the 2008 LP Studio for a nice Special or Classic w/ P90s.

I'd also swap the Ric 660/12 for a six string (or keep the 12 & buy a 6 w/ the proceeds from the ones I'd be unloading)

I'd keep all the amps except the Blues Jr. & a couple of the small SS Voxen

By way of actual advice for you, definitely start w/ the ones you play the least. Also, since it sounds like it's not absolutely imperative for you, I'd be conservative w/ the sell off & consider the relative ease of replacement as a good tie breaker. If you think you could regret selling one, you probably will.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    dafreeze likes this.
  7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank you, Bertotti.

My wants are exactly what I have plus much, much more. My present needs are handled with my most recent and portable, the little suitcase stuffer VOX.

Of the 3 pic'd, I seem to find myself switching to the Fender the most. That's an '83 Deluxe Reverb II w/Cannabis Rex. Little different from a Deluxe Reverb or DRRI but I like it alot, although the second channel leaves a bit to be desired.

Thank you, Sid. I've only really decided I should sell 5 for sure. Broadway Jade has already moved on, posted here regarding the 6120TB-DE, the 335 and LP '
    Studio. The Taylor as well, being replaced by an HD-35.

I wafle back and forth regarding the rest and many astute lovers here have touched on all the thoughts bouncing around between my ears.

The '59GE is my most recent and the finest of the 3 Falcons. It would also fetch the most $. I adore it, though, as I do the DS. I've always tended to gravitate more to single coils and these, what I believe to be stock Dynas, may very well have been modded in some way. This guitar sounds prettier to my ear than any of my other guitars. In fact LionTater just sent me a brass Tru-Arc for the '59 which I've yet stick on. I've bought a half dozen bridges from Compton and Tru-Arc and with exception of a copper one, have been very pleased with all.

Both Bo's...just love 'em. My intent is once I retire, maybe before, get into a band or two and also play with our Worship group. Davids Bo and Tele are all I'd need to tear up the best to the raunchiest bars. They're not as refined or as expensive as any of my other guitars, but they're not supposed to be. They are however just as solid and straight a build, just as fine sounding, and almost as exquisite players as any.

I've never been a burst fella. But the grain on that Strat is one of the visually appealing aspects of it for me, and it's not a bright cherry, but Tobacco Burst. My first and only other strat was an Olympic White Pearl American Deluxe and poifect, but she's no longer with me. Plus my original impressions of Strats were the traditional burst that Buddy Holly played, so I thought wth. Got a good deal on her as well, and she's really grown on me.

That 175 is one of the last two guitars I've gotten and is the favorite of any Gibson I've ever played. Not only am I not particularly fond of bursts, but I much prefer a pretty grain to a flame or figured top. But to my eye, this girl is an exception and looks mean and stunning at the same time. And like I may have said earlier, these Tim Shaw PAF's could not be improved upon.

And how right you are about a Lester w/P-90's. Cant tell you how many times I've looked for a real good Gold Top. I've only had one guitar w/P-90's and absolutely loved them. In fact I did buy and still have a brand new set of P-94's I bought to swap into her. I may still do that. She's been cutting out at, I believe the jack, lately so I need to open her up anyway.

The Ric, if one wants a Ric 12 string, is the absolute perfect playing and sounding Ric. Little goofy looking, though. I did own a Jetglo 360/6 w/HiGains years ago. Outstanding guitar. My most desirable Ric is one of the real expensive hard to find 360's with the 330 shaped horns, Toasters and a wider neck. But I ain't paying what they're getting, when you can find one.

Yes, the BJ could go.

Thanks for all your thoughts, Sid.

When you don't know for sure what to do, usually the best thing to do is nothing until you figure something out.

My driving force for this whole deal is the notion of ensuring I could retire in 2 years instead of 5 if I choose. My OT's dried up a little bit but is expected to pick up some more within the months.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Lionpotato and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  8. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Oh shoot, I read '175' here and responded to that. My second 335. First was a well worn black dot from '02 I stuck a B7 on. I do like this guitar but am not near as fond of it as the 175 or any of the Falcons. The pups are the disappointment for me. They're not horrible, but not special. Burstbucker 1 and 2's, I believe. Best thing about the guitar to me at the moment is the finish. Again, this over road my aversion to bursts. Light Burst, and in fact that's what I found most appealing about her.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm w/ you on the " If you're going to have a 12 string electric, it may as well be a Ric", same w/ needing the wider nut to make them at all long term playable for me. Only reason it was on the going list for me was I never really wind up getting along w/ 12 strings. I've really loved my 650C in the relatively short time I've had it.

Sure man! Sounds like you've got a good mindset on it to me ;)

Yeah, I can imagine that 175 is great! I would imagine it'd be really hard to let go of that one for me too :) Despite an awfully skinny neck profile for me on my Epi 175 Premium I can't seem to get it on the "sell" list, & I gotta think the Gibson's going to wind up on another level from it.

dafreeze likes this.
  10. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I recently pared down my collection and all decisions were based on first and foremost what I play regularly and second how easy it would be to replace what I sold. I kept an Eddie Cochran 6120 that I rarely play for sentimental reasons, and an old Les Paul Recording Guitar and an '85 Custom Shop Les Paul that was one of about 12 made in that particular run because those would be hard to replace. Most everything else, meh.

dafreeze likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Simple answer.

Keep 'em all, buy more.

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Two totally different things!

Bertotti and dafreeze like this.
  13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    You can walk you can talk you can fight
    But inside you've got something to write
    In your hands you hold your only friend
    Never spend your guitar
    Or your pen

--- Peter Townshend

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Lionpotato and Sabato like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice