17 Guitars, 6 amps. Which to keep?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dafreeze, Oct 8, 2019.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

I can justify that, too!

Thank you, Rich. This is my buddy that I'm trying to help with a kidney. Major setbacks, though. He had an aortic dissection 3-4 weeks ago, then developed an infection in his leg they had to cut out. He's also gone through prostate cancer heart attack requiring stents. Once the leg is healed he should be able to start 3 months of cardio rehab before he can again be eligible for a transplant. I keep him in my Prayers.

Thanks dmuson. The scale of a Jag is a bit of a concern for me although I've not played one. The Jazz Master scratches that itch and she's a keeper, as are all the Fenders. I just never bonded with the look of Mosrites.

It would be my Honor, giffen and I've written you.

Thank you manunk. I record my creations on a voice recorder app on my phone just enough so I won't forget the tune. May have a couple dozen. One day I'll really put them together. I would really like a good SG one day. We'll see.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

That could be arranged but giffen has first shot at the Broadway Jade

There are 4! I may very well keep 3.

Great minds think alike! Very good advice Flou, thank you

Thank you, you are so close to my thoughts. And I've written you regarding the Silver.

Thank you, Devil. I don't play the Ric as much as I did initially but dang what an exquisite guitar. As you know, very unique tone. I've had a Les Paul Traditional. Let it go 8 or 9 years ago. Killer guitar. I've bought at least a half dozen Les Pauls over the years. First was a Heritage Standard 80 Elite. Should not have let that one go.

NJDevil and shupe13 like this.
  3. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Ha, I'm sure you would and who could blame you?

Heya Scooter. These are straight 490R/498T's. Pretty mean guitar. I'll likely list her.

I know, literally get a lousy feeling in my stomach!

Thanks JC, I'll let the Silver go but cant justify keeping both the Stern and DC...so similar yet different. Love them both. Lion Taters 59 is definitely staying . The Ric too, at least initially.

Ha!

Thanks Buddy

audept likes this.
  4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

I'm already regretting it...and thank you, SWoody. Insurance is up to date, btw.

Wonderful advice Ric, thank you. Your criteria questions are exactly what I've been noodling with as well. I do have the weights for all the guitars. Other than the Taylor Emans Tele is the lightest at 6.2#, the Strat the heaviest at 8.6. They're both staying. Love big amps too and last month was looking over Super Reverbs. The big three I picked are all hand wired.

Thank you wildman. I hear that, too. But you're right, as long as I have a good player I could be happy. Without a guitar though I'd be a sad man.

5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thanks Pmac. Will definitely keep most those and more.

Thank you Merc and yes they are. Great advice from you as well.

Thank you Mr Fixit. There are a couple that don't just get the love they should. Both G brand, neither a GreTSch. The remainder stay dust free, as although I leave them out in the stands, I love swiffer dusters. They all get played.

Yes sir, I hear you. Thank you.

Doc, you pretty much hit it out of the park. Thank you.

Merc and drmilktruck like this.
  6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Sure have a bunch of wonderful, sharp people here. My only forum. Hope I didn't miss replying to any thoughts and suggestions. A little loopy after all this screen typing.

My list as it sits at the moment. Could get carved a bit more. I've been looking at HD-35's but have yet to see any in person, which is a must for this guitar. Problem is they're all about 4 hours away.

-1984 Gibson ES-175

-2017 Eman Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird.

-2016 GreTsch G6136T-59GE (Golden Era) White Falcon

-2016 GreTsch G6199TLP Limited Edition Billy Bo White Penguin .

- 2015 GreTsch G6135CS Masterbuilt Custom Shop Stephen Stern White Penguin.

-2017 Rickenbacker 660/12.

-2017 Fender American Vintage 'Thin Skin' 65 Jazzmaster.

-2016 Fender American Elite Ash Strat.

-2008 Fender American Deluxe Ash Tele.

-2019 Eman Tele.

Don't know if I'll ever really need a monster bar guitar and don't need 2 Bo's. The Penguin would bring me considerably more $ but it's such an exquisite guitar and I love playing it and how it sounds. They're both the same tone, same TV Jones Power'Trons. Wouldn't want to hurt the Englishman's feelings but this may end up being offered here...without question it's the best bang for $ guitar I own. Ever owned. We'll see.

If any I've mentioned trips anyone's trigger please feel free to holler. I'll be taking pictures and building ads this week.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Guitars come and go ... friends last a lifetime . Good on you brother

Merc, mrfixitmi and dafreeze like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    MY MIND IS BLOWN! I will never understand the desire to not keep the BJP! Ahhhhhhhh!

dafreeze likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Getting rid of guitars and amps is madness. Madness demands method. :)
    If you want to hang on to 9 at the minimum, out of 17, I would start with a top 3- gun to your head-go with gut instinct- absolute keepers, no discussion. Than make a top 3 -gotta go now and won't lose any sleep- list. You are now left with 11 guitars for more deliberate scrutiny, and you only have to get rid of 5 at the max.

dafreeze likes this.
  11. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank you Rich

thunder58 likes this.
  12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Apologies my friend, no offense intended.

The Jade Penguin is as classy a guitar as I own or can even really think of. I love just about everything about her. This guitar plays like butter and it’s the best sounding stock Filtered GreTsch I’ve played. This guitar makes you want to put on a fine tuxedo just to play her.

One option would be to keep her and the Dyna’d Falcon. And that’s an excellent option. There is sound reasoning to keep one slab with Filters and one big girl with Dynas. Not only does that scratch every itch for me but also gives me the greatest return by then letting the remaining 4 GreTschs go. And 3 are pretty high dollar.

But the 3 I intend to keep are the finest guitars I own. I’ve never played, let alone owned, a finer guitar then any of them. The Stern is one of a kind. The Bo is 1 of 16, granted I’d guess times 4 or 5...I’d like to find out how many batches of them were made. And the 59 is as exquisite a big GreTsch as I’ve ever played. Absolutely love all 3. Mostly love the Jade. I am going to down size. Some must go.

The 3 Fenders are as perfect examples of a Tele, Strat and JM I’ve ever played and I absolute love them.

This 175 is the best Gibson I’ve ever played, with the possible exception of my first Les Paul, a Heritage Standard 80 Elite I bought 37 years ago. The Tim Shaw PAF’s are the best sounding Gib humbuckers I’ve played. Perfect to me.

And the Ric is the perfect Ric for me. Some may say it’s a one trick pony but it’s a heck of a trick.

And this brand new 6# 66 year old Tele David built for me is a perfect playing and sounding Telecaster. I need 2 Teles. Although I must admit I’m not sure how long it’ll be before I clean the rust off.

I think you need 2 Broadway Jade Penguins.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  13. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Said it before, great minds think alike. Thank you “bing bing bing”, Ricochet (Rabbit).

Ricochet likes this.
  14. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Fwiw, I don’t consider myself a collector. Nor do I consider guitars tools. They’re fine playing instruments and I play them. A lot. I also love just looking at them. Been nuts over great music and guitars as far back as I remember, which is 4 years old.

15. afire

afire Country Gent

Keep the Falcon with FilterTrons, the Penguin with DeArmonds, one of the Teles and the Strat, and if you absolutely have to have a 12-string, keep the Rickenbacker too. And the AC15. Everything else can go. There's your answer.

dafreeze likes this.
  16. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Dafreeze,
    Keep that white Telecaster
    A White Falcon, The vox amp, cut the rest loose and buy a duo jet!

dafreeze likes this.
  17. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Just sharing dafreeze is an awesome person to deal with. We had a transaction a while back and he is 100% reliable and trustworthy. One of the best people I have encountered buying and selling . Buy with confidence and total trust. He is stellar!

dafreeze and drmilktruck like this.
  18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thanks afire, you’re on to something.

Had a Caddy Green Duo with Dynas awhile back before I did my last downsize. One of my all time favorites guitars and the only reason I let her go was she brought in over twice what I ended up keeping.

Thank you, Michael. Very much.

19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sellecaster.

dafreeze and pmac11 like this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

But thanks for playing. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 3:11 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice