17 Guitars, 6 amps. Which to keep?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dafreeze, Oct 8, 2019.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I’ll take all the ones that don’t have jack plates @$200.00, Rich won’t want those

dafreeze, Merc and thunder58 like this.
  2. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I'd keep one of each style...hollow, strat, tele, jet, etc.

Your LP looks a lot like mine. Mine is a 2016 or 2018 something, coil tapped pickups. I think it's a Studio but never bother to remember because it's almost irrelevant

dafreeze and Merc like this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'd keep the 2 white Falcons,Stern Pengy and the wee Rick......for starters .

I often sit and look at mine and say ,what would i sell,and it just makes me sick to think about it!:(
    But i know that day is going to come ....someday.

dafreeze likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    If you're making a choice, it's best to use the scientific method:
    coin toss.jpg

dafreeze, Merc and Gregor like this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    You owe it to yourself to keep this little universe.

dafreeze and mrfixitmi like this.
  6. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    You will regret selling any of them!! Now that you have taken inventory, take it to your insurance company and insure them. You'll get over this little 'spell' you are having. Revisit this negative thinking spell when you are 70....everything will be worth more then and you'll probably need the $$ more then!! (not to mention there will probably be a few more!!)

Tony65x55, dafreeze and pmac11 like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The hardest thing is to pick your criteria...and sticking with them.

Do you pick the ones that get played the most? The nicest to look at? Most expensive(hardest to replace) The ones that offer the best tonal variety, most comfy(weight), in the best shape(maintenance is a chore) or all of the above?

Yup, I'm more or less in the same boat. Mentally maybe not yet prepared for the next step, but health is forcing the issue. The mere thought of leaving my poor family to clean out storage after my demise breaks my heart.
    Think of alternatives. Re the amps I think I might end up with a pedalboard with a good variety of pre-amps, IR load box and an active monitor. Decisive factor for me is the weight. I carried amps to storage I can't even lift anymore. And I love big amps, even though I play at home at modest volume. Another criterium for tube amps is construction. Pcb or turret/handwired(maintenance again), maybe mdf or ply.

dafreeze, audept and Merc like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Well, i wouldn't get rid of none of those:)
    Unless it was a trade for something else. If i needed something for my family though, i would let every one go;). Pretty simple and i know most of you will feel the same, these are luxury item's and when it comes down, expendable. I would be happy with a guitar i paid 50 bux for if i had to.

9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Keep the VOX, the Marshall, and the Fender DR.
    Keep one Tele, one Gretsch, the ES175, and your acoustics.

dafreeze likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Whoaaaa - ho - HO!! Mister Bigtime!!! Don’t you forget all us little people now.....! :)

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thanks Tony

drmilktruck and TSims1 like this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

You’re one of the good guys. Makes sense to me.

Now let’s talk about how many of these guitars have jackplates and cases.......

drmilktruck, dafreeze and thunder58 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Well ... as long as you asked ... I only see one guitar with a case in the photos that @dafreeze posted :p

dafreeze and TSims1 like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida

Both the above from @Scooter127 and @Ricochet are great ideas to go about it.

The max I’ve ever had was a measly seven. But I’ve since changed it to a sensible four for the rest of my life. It’s always been hard initially to choose one to sell, assuming there is no sentimental attachment. But I must say I always feel better afterwards. And a bit of relief from the guilt if they sat in the case too much. I usually go for comfort and feel over looks when selecting. For instance, with a bout of serious GAS earlier this year I picked up a second Vox Virage. I prefer the newer white one on looks over the older Cherry one. But the Cherry neck just feels so comfortable to me. So the white one is getting ready to go bye bye. I’m trying to stick to my four and replace it with a Gretsch Jet at some point. But man it’s tough fighting the GAS urge at times and sticking to the magical number.

I’d start by choosing one or five to sell. See how you feel a few weeks after they’re sold. If it feels good, choose another five and work in increments until you reach your magic number. It might be less traumatizing then selling, say twenty at once. Best of luck with the downsizing.

dafreeze and Ricochet like this.
  15. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan

dafreeze likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    For you the 175 I would sell all the Gibby's, a big body Gretsch with and without Bigsby both Penguins and the Billy bo's would have to stay if the Taylor is the only acoustic it would have to stay, I would sell it for a Martin because I'm a Martin guy. I haven't played Eman so I don't know if they stay or go but for the quality to cost I think they would stay as would the Fenders and having never played a Ric I don't know about it. So apparently there aren't many there I would sell. Good luck but you have seen my thread about selling so I'm am mostly at a loss unless you have to have the cash I won't understand.

dafreeze likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Based solely on your comments, I'd suggest:

Keep

-1984 Gibson ES-175.

-2016 GreTsch G6136T-59GE (Golden Era) White Falcon, now known as the Vintage Select.

-2016 GreTsch G6199TLP Limited Edition Billy Bo White Penguin ..

- 2015 GreTsch G6135CS Masterbuilt Custom Shop Stephen Stern White Penguin.

-2017 Fender American Vintage 'Thin Skin' 65 Jazzmaster.

-2016 Fender American Elite Ash Strat

-2008 Fender American Deluxe Ash Tele.

-2019 Eman Tele.

On the Fence

-2017 Eman Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird.

-2015 GreTsch G6134TDC Limited Edition Broadway Jade Penguin.

Get Rid Of

-1998 Taylor 310.

-2008 GreTsch G6136TSL Silver Falcon (125th Anniv).

-2008 GreTsch G6136DS White Falcon (125th)

-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio.

-2017 Gibson ES-335.

Separate Category (If you need them.)

-2018 GreTsch G6120TB-DE Limited Edition Duane Eddy 6-String Electric Bass.

-2017 Rickenbacker 660/12.

dafreeze likes this.
  18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Read all about it, here: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/new-moderator.196684/

dafreeze and thunder58 like this.
  19. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Keep the ES-175, any two of the Falcons, both Penguins, the Eman Tele, and either the Elite Ash Strat or the Deluxe Ash Tele.

I’d have a hard time not looking at that Silver Falcon if it happened to turn up on the market.

dafreeze likes this.
  20. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'm definitely with you on the music and tone as our tastes seem to be very close. I'd have a tough time and as far as acoustics, I love my Taylor 414-ce but might want to upgrade. I'm not a Martin fan but nothing against them....just different strokes for different folks.

I love a good LP but I would lose the LP Studio and Ric for sure and get a used LP Traditional....either a used '13 or '14. I have a '14 and love it.

Tough choices for sure as it seems each one is their own personality.

dafreeze likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice