17 Guitars, 6 amps. Which to keep?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dafreeze, Oct 8, 2019.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

34801140-70D8-4BD0-8C1C-FEBFF6B87D05.jpeg 83095EDD-29E8-4D5F-9A3B-CF21BF69AF05.png 9B2C2808-F235-4E47-A18F-B65FC1073010.jpeg

Not asking for others to make up my mind...it keeps changing. But I do value your input. Plus many enjoy 'Guess what I'm getting' threads' so I thought why not a 'what would you keep thread'...kind of toss a Crescent into our enablers gearing.

I'm 60 and have been a guitar hack for 50 years. With the exception of the last 4 years of my Navy days, since I was 10 I've always had at least one.

I'm not a performer and have never been in a band, although that's a goal. Jamming with my son on drums is one of the absolute funnest things I've ever done.

I love Rock n Roll, basically from the Beatles through Led Zeppelin, including AC/DC and Aerosmith, beginning from it's inception in the 50's. Also love a lot of Blues, Motown, Southern Rock, Rockabilly and some Country.

Not only do try to emulate the tones of the tunes I teach myself but I also love to play clean.

I learn the songs I love and also spend a lot of my playing time just goofing make things up and just jam myself.

I average playing 2+ hours a day, as I have a cool job that most of the time affords me the opportunity to bring in a guitar and amp and fart around...here now and have 2 Teles sitting next to me at the moment.

I love both slabs and big bodies.

I'm divorced with my only child all growd up so I don't even have to pick up my socks if I choose.

The last couple years I've worked a bunch of overtime and have bought 14 guitars and 4 amps. Although I've waffled on this occasionally, in the back of my mind I knew many were on an extended in home trial period and would eventually be sold.

I'm not in any type of a $ crunch and not in a rush but there are some things I could do with the cash. New windows, flooring, pay off house and truck so I can retire in a few to handful of years.

Problem now is which to cut loose. I'm quite fond of almost all of them and can justify keeping each and every one.

I go back and forth and do have a keepers list...but that can change significantly, depending on which guitar I'm thinking of at the time.

There are actually a couple 3 guitars I'd still like to pick up.

Here's what I've got with a brief thought or 2 on each, from let to right and will toss up a couple pics from my phone momentarily.

-1984 Gibson ES-175. Definite keeper. Favorite of all the Gibs' I've owned and there have been about a dozen, most Les Pauls and also my most recent acquisition.

-1998 Taylor 310. Had this the longest. Traded a Yamaha acoustic and wad of $ for it, new in '98. Bought my son a matching Baby Taylor 6 months later, which he still has. I'd like to trade this up for either a HD-35 or SJ-200.

-2017 Eman Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird. TV Jones Power'Trons. I paid less for this than any other I presently own. Straight and true, great player and killer tone. Monster. Perfect Rockin Bar Guitar. Not as refined as it's much more expensive bother, 4 guitars below. This is really the only non traditional shaped guitar I've ever thought was aesthetically pleasing.

-2008 GreTsch G6136TSL Silver Falcon (125th Anniv). I'll let her go as I've picked up another very similar 2 guitars down I prefer

-2008 GreTsch G6136DS White Falcon (125th) Played this more than any other for quite awhile. Love this guitar and her Dynas...but quite similar the the Stern Penguin I'll describe 3 guitars down

-2016 GreTsch G6136T-59GE (Golden Era) White Falcon, now known as the Vintage Select. Definite keeper. My finest Falcon and one of the 3 nicest guitars I've ever owned.

-2016 GreTsch G6199TLP Limited Edition Billy Bo White Penguin . One of my 3 finest guitars, just as sweet as the Falcon right above her. Incredible guitar. One of a batch of 16, a Fullers Guitar exclusive. I don't know how many batches of 16 were made but there weren't many.

- 2015 GreTsch G6135CS Masterbuilt Custom Shop Stephen Stern White Penguin. Finest guitar I own. Exceptional in every way. Nicest feeling and smelling finish I've ever experienced on a guitar. Unreal.

-2015 GreTsch G6134TDC Limited Edition Broadway Jade Penguin. Little neck heavy, but I've not tried to add a second strap button, ala Gib 335. I used to play standing up predominately but in the last year have forced myself to sit much, but not half, of the time. Have it on good authority there were only 75 made.

-2018 GreTsch G6120TB-DE Limited Edition Duane Eddy 6-String Electric Bass. I believe there were only 75 made, and this is one of the first 25, those of which included a second picguard signed by the man himself.

-2017 Rickenbacker 660/12. Toastertops. For the Ric chime, you can't get any better sounding, more affordable or playable with her wider nut width than typical Ric's.

-2017 Fender American Vintage 'Thin Skin' 65 Jazzmaster. An exceptional Fender and just a delicious if not perfect cross between a Tele and a Strat. Just an outstanding guitar. One of my favorites.

-2016 Fender American Elite Ash Strat (actually made 11/15, Elites weren't released until '16). My second Strat. Another exceptional Fender. Finest feeling guitar I've ever held. Finest feeling and playing neck I've ever had my hands on. Still, as I grew up on Les Pauls, Strats are the toughest guitars for my picking hand. Best blues tone guitar I have.

-2008 Fender American Deluxe Ash Tele. Had her 10 years and she's got more play than any other of my guitars for a couple reasons. Another exceptional Fender. Not as comfortable as the Strat but I love all 3 tones from Teles, only about 2 on the Strat. Easier to play and I love the notion that this is the first solid bodied guitars ever mass produced and the first Broadcasters/Esquires looked like it.

-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio. This was my first plug in guitar in over 20 years and one of only a few I've ever bought brand new. Played the snot out of it for the first year...then I picked up the above Tele. She now gets the least love of all my guitars. She'll likely go.

-2017 Gibson ES-335. My second 335 and an exceptional example. Gorgeous in the light burst, to me. But I prefer my GreTschs and the 175. She'll likely go.

-2019 Eman Tele. Paulonia body with 1/4" maple cap. MIM neck. 6.2#. Relic'd and made to resemble Vince Gill's '53. Definate keeper.

-2016(?) VOX AC15HW1X About as VOXy as an amp gets.

-2007(?) Marshall 2061X/2061CX Dayum...I can't hardly push the volume past 2 in the house

-1983 Fender Deluxe Reverb II w/Eminence Cannabiss Rex...I play through this more than the VOX and Marshall. But still, in the house I can't push the volume much past 3 (guitar depending)

-2008 Fender Blues Jr NOS (not pic'd) Pretty good amp with single coils. Gibson Humbuckers, not so much to my ear. Haven't actually plugged a GreTsch into it in years, she's been in the closet.

-Couple other smaller SS VOX amps including the new little Adio AirGT. Cool little suitcase stuffer I can also blue tooth tunes to.

I'm going to finalize my thoughts this week and start listing on Reverb as well as posts here, so this thread will also serve as a pre-gas tool for anyone interested in anything I've listed. If I can make someone happy here it'd be preferable to me personally as well as financially for the purchaser as far as PayPal fee's go for those who know and/or are comfortable with me as well as sales tax wise.

7AA0E74B-2F25-4BC3-9FE6-9F06933B9428.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Outlaw, Lionpotato, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    For a true consultation I’ll be needing a group shot of these guitars

Merc and dafreeze like this.
  3. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

done. Had to upload from phone after I made initial post

4. Thanks for contributing to the gas. You have a decent collection. How many here have multiple falcons? What to ditch? thats a personal call. If they are not taking up valuable real estate in the home, and you dont need cash, insure them and keep. The down side of collecting is the resale. Most new. Purchases dont sell for what you paid. A decent used purchase may get a even exchange. I tend to want certain instruments at a moment. Dive into them, get what i want out of them, and then they sit. If they sit too long, they go. I suffer from gas. But not just guitars, other instruments as well. Yesterday i went to pick up my sons trombone from a repair shop, and wound up walking out with a rental tenor sax. Felt the urge to give it another try after many years. But this time, i didnt buy it. I rent it, and when the gas pass’s, if it dies, it goes back.

MotorCentaur, Merc and dafreeze like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    WOW ! Lots in commom me and you dafreeze , in life that is . The white guitars ...... they get dirty so fast , I would get rid of them first . I'd start at $200 each ... here's my address :p

toddfan, Runamok, heinzman and 7 others like this.
  6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Fueling the gas is actually my intent. :) This is the preface to an advertisement. And thank you!

Like mentioned, Not asking for others to make up my mind, I don't have to do this but it's really a good idea for me in a few ways, I rarely purchase new, typically do well on price, take care of them and have done this same exact thing before, about 8 years ago, almost on the same scale. Did not take much of a hit $ wise, although I did take a good hit on an older AC30 that was super sweet and very nicely modded I'd invested too much $ in. Also been there on a Sax purchase about 15 years ago. Sons.

In my mind there are a minimum of 9 guitars I'd like to keep.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

HA! Love ya, Brother! Get that Tele yet? I love the Butterscotch Blonde!

thunder58 likes this.
  8. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Hey, Congratulations on the Super Moderator Staff Member! Or are commiserations in order? Did you run Mark off?

thunder58 likes this.
  9. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hey dafreeze , thanks for the congratulations . But I preferr not to discuss ( right now :) ) I'm sure you and the membership understand , but it's always nice to be recognized

NJDevil, TSims1, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

very quiet “doah!”...hope you’re not commiserating...the four words I mentioned kind of stand out though...get the Tele yet? Btw, I sent a Bud a real sweet MIM I got a great deal on just a couple weeks ago.

8EAC9994-8371-4767-92DF-09551969F616.png 76EBA44A-8A78-4E94-97FA-D9188E2061EF.png

ffooky, calebaaron666 and thunder58 like this.
  11. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    All of them!

j.s.c, dafreeze and thunder58 like this.
  12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's a beauty

dafreeze likes this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... yea , I know . So be it

dafreeze likes this.
  14. Ok, you didnt think this would just pass by? So, without spilling the beans, I need to know if its mandatory to become a unpaid employee after so many posts. I am not near you in posts, but eventually i will be. I already have a few jobs i dont get paid for. On the other hand, i am offering congratulations O Chef Of The Future!

dafreeze and thunder58 like this.
  15. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't see a Jaguar. Or a Mosrite. You need to complete your collection before letting anything go. And even then, I'd have to think about it.

dafreeze, new6659 and Groutsch like this.
  16. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you see fit to divest that Jade Green Penguin, I'd be most honored if you gave me a shot at it.

dafreeze likes this.
  17. manunk

manunk Electromatic

Suggesting you keep one strat (HSS), one Tele (with bigsby), A Les Paul Classic, an SG Standard, a Gretsch for twang and a Gretsch for hard rock. Taylor 700 series for acoustic. Try out alot of acoustic amps. Fender amp plus Vox amp for electric. Lots of pedals. Playing with a drummer is super inspiring....it's good to record your sessions for future song creation.

dafreeze and Tony65x55 like this.
  18. shupe13

shupe13 Gretschie

Apr 6, 2012
    Indiana
    I think you should send the minty green thing and the Marshall to my house.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

dafreeze likes this.
  19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You gotta keep the 3 white guitars!
    The trinity!

dafreeze, mrfixitmi and Merc like this.
  20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

The ones you mention are the same ones I thought I'd keep when I just glanced at the photos! I love my Tele and I'd love to have a Falcon at some point. I think I'd pick the one I played the least and sell it off first and then go from there. See how difficult it is to part with that first one initially.

(If you want to adopt someone, I'll take a Falcon...and a nice Vox amp to go with it.)

dafreeze likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice