1230-55 vs

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have two 1230-55 I had loaded into a 2x12 for my nightrain. They didn’t work out so in went a silver bell and blue dog.

Now I want to make a couple 1x12 but really wanted a more Fendery sound. I am wondering just how these will work out. To me they are more like the green back speaker which I would pair with an 18watt Marshall not so much a Fender but who knows they may work well.

Just thinking out loud I’m sure they will have their place and I already have them so I will try them. But for a small travel 1x12 they may not be my first choice. I wonder if I wouldn’t be better off putting them in a 2x12 or just selling them and buying a nice alnico speaker something I don’t have. @TV the Wired Turtle speaks highly of tonetuby speakers and the Nashville description sounds very sweet, on paper, but expensive.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    What amp would you pair with the 1230-55 in the 1x12? If it's a Fender amp, it's already voiced with a midrange scoop, so.....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep, that's my concern. They did not sound great with the Nightrain so now I might try them with the Baby Blondeshell. I can just load them in the 2x12 and try but I have a feeling they will fail. I have a Smokin Joe I have never finished building and they were intended for it.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Joe is standing outside smokin' , finish him off and sell him. Next step, build the Princeton or Deluxe clone of your dreams. Easy Peasy :rolleyes:

pmac11 likes this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Not sure what you mean about 'concern'. If you want a Fendery sound, use a Fender head and put your speaker in an open back pine cab with a floating baffle. See how it sounds.

The Night Train is voiced different than a Princeton or a Deluxe, so I'm not sure it's a good starting point for a Fender sound.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Maybe I wasn't clear. Originally the two 1230-55 were for a 2x12 I had empty for the nighttrain. I didn't like it and put in the silverbell and bluedog. I decided I wanted to use the 1230-55 so started a weber Smokin Joe kit but ran into time issues and it got shelved and forgotten. So now I have the Baby Blondeshell form Nocturne. Great little amp but I do want a more Fendery sound then I get form the silverbell and the blue dog so I thought to try the 1230-55 with it. I am traveling this week again but will give it a shot when I get home. I don't know what it will sound like it may or may not work out well but I have a feeling I will be chasing a different speaker.

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    So finish the Smokin Joe? Or buy/build a 18W Marshall...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I have a Celestion silver bell in my deluxe Reverb and a Blue in my 5E3. I think those speakers let the Fender sound come through and sounds great. In fact I have a lot of 60s original Jensen speakers both alnico and ceramic and I think the sound is very close other than the Blue and Silver alnico Celestion speakers are louder and punchier. Fender even put the Celestion Blue in their "Edge 5e3" that they released a few years ago.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have noticed that as much as I want an Alnico speaker every time I hear the ceramic version next to it I far prefer the ceramic tone. It just seems as cool as the alnico sounds the squish it gives the notes isn't my favorite. I prefer the un squished tone a lot more. I assume it is the compression that causes the squishy sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice