Join Gretsch-Talk Today

12 string

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Since you are starting from scratch, I highly recommend setting up the tone control for the neck pickup as a bass rolloff/contour. With 12 strings, the neck pickup can get boomy in a hurry and the roll off works great for getting “chime”.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Keep us posted

wildeman likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sounds good, always open to suggestions. Do you have a schematic?

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool. Crowbone over on the GDP has an Astro Jet 12 .

[​IMG]

wildeman likes this.
  5. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    3B4A1B37-CE8B-4D84-88E5-0D3CCE91E402.jpeg
    This will get you started. You can experiment with values to taste.

6. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Love the sound of a 12 string and love the songs usually played on them. I have three. My first was a Mossman that was probably one of the last ones from Stuart Mossman. Nice guitar but the neck didn't suit me as much as others. It was really neck heavy with 12 Rotomatics on it. I replaced the buttons with ebony buttons and it helped a lot!. I sold it to a band mate and bought a Larrivee that suited me much better. I put a K&K pure Western mini in it and it worked great but I wanted an electric.

I found a Rickenbacker clone on eBay for a good price. I think it was made by Saein. It had a very wide and shallow neck. I sold it and bought a 5422-12. Great guitar! I put Pyramid flats on it and it sounds very much like a Rickenbacker. It helps that I had a new nut cut and strung it like a Ric.

My bandmate needed some money and sold the Mossman back to me. I didn't really want it back but I helped him out until he bought it back. Well, he never bought it back and moved away so now I have all three.

7. HBob

HBob Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2012
    Plano, TX
    I had an acoustic 12 string (Hohner) and a 12 string electric (Hagstrom) and sold them both. Don't miss them, maybe because they were pretty cheap. I felt like everything I played on them sounded too hippie. Just not my cup of teak. And I really like early Genesis which had 12 string guitars everywhere!

8. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    1 - It's like any other instrument - different models play differently.
    2/3/4 - Hard on fingers etc? - No... depends on strings gauge. Mine has the same gauge as my other guitars and I find it's not a problem.
    5 - Gretsch? Don't know. Mine's an Italia Rimini 12. This particular guitar was designed as a 12 string from the start. It's similar in construction to a Ric, but different woods and pickups, so it doesn't really sound like one, 'out the box'. Neck is comfortable to play, since they're not trying to cram 12 strings into a 6 string width, and it's more a generic Asian profile (ie. standard Fender shape) than like a Ric.
    I've tried Rickenbackers and my hands are too big for their necks. I tried a Burns and... well, I like the colour, but that's it. I tried the Italia and liked it so much I bought a six string, too.

Other than that... I wouldn't gig a 12 string. They are a PITA to keep in tune when there's a change in environment - great for recording, but it's just less hassle to fake it with effects for a gig.

9. VRomanojr

VRomanojr Newbie

Dec 4, 2012
    West Virginia
    I had a 1973 Rick 360 back in the day but sold it. Once I wasn't in a band it sat under the bed for 10 years. Fast forward, I got the jones again because we were going to do a Bob Dylan benefit show and I wanted to slant it to Byrds style. Bought a $120 Cozart from the bay. REALLY wide neck, head stock heavy but surprisingly stayed in tune and sounded good. A little hard to play though. Found a good deal on a Fender Squire Venus 12 and it was night and day. Thinner neck so, easier to play. Plays nice and sounds great. I played a Dano 12 and it seemed pretty nice but not sure how they hold up. Now to sell the Cozart.....

10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, VRomanojr!
    welcome mat23.jpeg

VRomanojr likes this.
  11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It would be even funnier if it wasn't so true. ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    russmack likes this.
  12. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I put this one together from parts I gathered off eBay. Came in under 300 bucks total. Sounds good and plays good. Like previously stated, it's nice to have one in your stable for tunes they work well on, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a 12 that only gets occasional use.

10862-1378069421-bbbd42c49a1dec6520731e8634b811dd.jpg

LivingMyDream likes this.
  13. VRomanojr

VRomanojr Newbie

Dec 4, 2012
    West Virginia
    My friend says, “With a 12 string you spend half your time tuning and the
    other half, playing out of tune.” But the sound of it...........

14. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That says it all. I love the sound of them, but I’ve never owned one.

15. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    I know I posted this a while back but here it is again for those who haven’t seen it

16. nervous

nervous Electromatic

Sep 27, 2017
    Beautiful Cantral NY
    I have never been that plagued by 12 string tuning so that wouldn't dissuade me. But... 12 strings AND a Bigsby! That's paying a penance from some past life evils for sure.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This may seem odd but that sound does nothing for me I really don't care for it. Is it because it's an electric. I guess I just prefer acoustic 12's.

18. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I have the same model Gretsch 12 as in the video and it is a blast to play with overdrive and fuzz...

Aymara likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sounds better then the Penguin, perhaps it is vid that is the problem with the Penguin.