Join Gretsch-Talk Today

12 string

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Nov 2, 2017.

1. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I always wanted a 12 string rickenbacher but just never got round to it. Anyway I went in a local guitar shop just for a browse and I tried out some acoustic 12 strings. I expected them to be terribly uncomfortable to play, but one was surprisingly good so I walked out with a£150 guitar. It happens to be a Fender but that was irrelevant, I took it back a month later and had a pick-up fitted. I'd show you a picture but it's currently back at the shop having a loose wire fixed and a re-string (I just couldn't be bothered to do it myself). Anyway, just to echo everyone else I love it, and I'll always own a 12 string, but think of it as a rhythm guitar in the main.

2. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yeah, Rickenbecker is nice, especially the basses ;)

Regarding 12-strings ... for my taste nothing beats a good acoustic with slight chorus, but delay is also much fun:

thunder58 and nervous like this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've had a 12 string since 1987 ,little Hondo Fame 760/12 electric Strat shape,then got my Rick 360/12V64 2 years later and never bothered looking at anymore.

But my cousin had at one time one of those Burns reissues ,the green burst ,ugly looking thing but it was a great playing guitar,in fact if i'm honest it played easier and was more comfortable than my Rick!

I have always loved the sound of a 12 string but especially the electric 12.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Very true ... it's very individual . As most know I'm really in the market for one . I've tried everything I think that is out there . None seem to fit " me " .
    Next stop , Martin Guitar Factory to try the D12-28 then hopefully downtown NYC D'Angelico showroom and try the Excel Fulton . I played a D'Angelico 6 string a few months back and fell in love with the neck . Somethings gotta fit " me "

5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A trip to Martin, sounds very expensive:eek:

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's only a 2 hour drive . Been there 2 times , very enjoyable tour . I'm due for a road trip . The expense is the guitar ... lol.

7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Be careful;) I got one more payment on my vintage Streamliner and the pawnshop that has it also has a 5422 12 string.......danger

thunder58 likes this.
  8. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Crikey. To be able to get around to the Martin dispensary and sort these sort of things out - blows me away!

And then, the D'Angelico availability up there is simply mind-boggling.

You're a bunch of very lucky people up there in the US.

Sheesh!

Russ

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Btw, those being interested in acoustic 12-strings ... I once played a Takamine in a shop, that was pretty nice without a shocking price.

10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    If you're ever up this way , the door's always open Russ . I'll give you the best " ten cent tour " you'll ever have

russmack likes this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Best one I ever played was an Ovation Deacon 12 I borrowed for a studio demo in the late 70s. Played really easily and sounded great.

emitex and Andy Fortune like this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Ovation electrics are very nice.

I have owned a Gretsch 5422-12 for a few years and used it to gig Beatles, Byrds etc. It's a fabulous guitar at a very reasonable price. Sounds great!

By the way, how long does it take to perfectly tune a 12 string?

A) No one knows, its never happened. :)

LivingMyDream likes this.
  13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    And in reality, a perfectly tuned 12 sounds odd. When I had the Variax there was a method of detuning certain strings by a couple of cents to get a more realistic sound.

14. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's funny, ive jammed on songs that i know i was playing right and they just weren't doin it, detuned guitar a bit and perfect.

15. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Fender Electric XII (hockey stick headstock)are the most playable 12 string necks ever. Very easy on both the left (fretboard radius) and right (string spacing) hands

16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Double as long as a six string :p

17. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    The TC Electronic Sub N Up will give you a passable 12 string effect as well as baritone and bass settings. Saved me some space and guitar bucks for other gear.

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, these are really excellent. I used to see them used alot but no more.

19. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Alright guys, this thread got me inspired! So i've had this real nice old Epiphone 12 neck layin around and a couple old Gretsch bodies turned up on Ebay....well i needed a new project anyway so ima do a Astro Jet 12!
    I went back for the Corvette as it would have been easier with its one pup but it was sold but i think the Astro will probably balance better anyway. Screenshot_2017-11-04-14-36-37-1.png 20171104_143803.jpg 20171104_143822.jpg should be KOOOOL! As of now i got 85 bux into it, gonna try to keep it cheap. Prolly a used set of Blacktops next.

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Really cool project! Watching this one.