“Swap” Vox AC15 for AC10– opinions?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by gtttrrr, May 3, 2019.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I had an AC10 and it was okay, just okay....IMHO. I returned it in less than 30 days.

I don’t bond with 10” speakers unless there are 4 of them. While the AC10 sounded better than most any other single 10 combo I tried (to my ears) a single 10 always sounds thin to me when it’s pushed a little.

If you are determined to get a combo with a single 10 I will say the AC10 is head and shoulders above any others I’ve tried and sounded bigger than most.

All just my opinion.

gtttrrr and Jena like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Too many knobs? I had a Mesa Rack Preamp. Talk about too many knobs...

gtttrrr likes this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm not sure how the stock AC10C1 speaker sounds.

The one that I picked up is the "VS" version with a different speaker.

I love 4-10's and 2-10's, but this little fellow with the upgraded speaker really sounds good for a small 1-10 unit.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Robbie and gtttrrr like this.
  4. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Jena likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah I agree :)
    AC10 does not sound very AC Voxy to me with that VX10 10" speaker.
    You really need Alnico Blue or Greenback for it imo.

But I've played other 10" speaker combo's I think are much better.

Jena likes this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    More detail please? I’m lookin at budget, so kinda constrained to what I can get for the AC15.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Jena likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

Not sure what you want more detail on gtttrrr :)

Vox AC10 doesn't have the Vox chime and tones of the AC15 and AC30 for a few reasons.
    First is it doesn't have either an Alnico Blue or Greenback speaker which are essential for the Vox chime.
    It doesn't have top boost either and very limited EQ options.
    It weighs an absurd amount for a one trick pony 10 watter.
    If you want classic Vox chime why get an AC10?
    If you just want a good sounding clean channel and don;t care about weight then ok

I can think of many other 10 inch speaker tube combos I prefer but not sure they're cheaper than AC10.
    You get very little for your $$ in an AC10.

Fender Princeton Reverb, Mesa Express 5:25 (original), Orange, Supro, Marshall, Blackstar and most of the amps listed here are all better imo
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c625--1_x_10_inch_Guitar_Combo_Amps
    But because other amps are much more versatile they are much better value for money imo :)

You should also consider a small watt head combined with a 1x12 cab of your choice

gtttrrr and Jena like this.
  9. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    Jena, G5422T and TSims1 like this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I agree, they do sound okay as do Princetons. Personally I don’t like how boxy a single 10” speaker sounds.

Waxhead and G5422T like this.
  11. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Jena likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I like the AC10 a lot. However, I found the stock speaker lacking a little of that Vox chime. I had built up a 2x10" cab with Eminence 10" Red Fang ceramics and it sounded wonderful. I compared it to some other cabs I have - a 2x10" Celestion Gold and a 12" Weber Blue Dog and it Voxed every bit as well.

I ran the AC10 into the 2x10" Red Fang cab and the results were dramatic. Much louder and way Voxier. I took an extra Red Fang I had and installed it in the AC10.

Wow! This will hang with a drummer as long as he isn't stupid loud. In fact, it was louder than a stock AC15. It did wind up weighing a couple of pounds more but it's still a lot lighter than the AC15.

If you own a AC10 this is a superb mod and the speaker is even reasonably inexpensive.

gtttrrr, Jena and G5422T like this.
  13. "Horses for courses as usual" hmmm . . . Kentucky Derby went to the fave again ?
    I gotta stop betting ' on the long shots . . .

I noticed the 86% eBay rating too . . . not a high level of confidence, eh ?

Don't want to confuse this with the OP listing, askin' advice on trade from experts.
    Figured it was a convenient way to bump.

That eBay listing is a Vox AC-10 Twin . . . and I didn't know to think to look past an eBay search of course -lol. . . but thought a single 10" vintage tube amp gettin' that kind of ask price was crazy.

So, as for a trade . . . hard to say who comes out better . . . depends . . . (?) I dunno
    maybe point was it depends on which AC-10 . . . good advice hashin' out some differences here imho.

If it was a vintage AC-10 Twin, you would go for it betcha . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I am looking for something easy to drag out to the patio, that sounds good, without dragging speaker cabs and pedals,,, the AC10 sounds like a perfect fit. I have a Mesa Subway rocket that I love, but it has it own “room” in the house, and it’s my go to for travel buddy jams. Not wanting to subject it to our Indiana humidity out on the patio. This little AC10 is ringing perfect for that, and if the humidity gets to her, then smaller loss than my boogie. All input is appreciated, as always. Definitely wanted pros and cons, not just validation on an already made decision!

Jena likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So the vox is solely to protect and preserve the boogie? Will the amp really be that worn by playing it outside? I'd put my money on Mesa durability over Vox any day.

Jena and Waxhead like this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I have different rooms setup, so I can grab a guitar and play in diff rooms, looking to not disturb those setups, have a grab and go lightweight combo that sounds good for small friend jams.

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok gtttrrr - I now have a better understanding of your needs.
    You just want good clean, cheap, not too heavy combo.

Here's a few specific suggestions I think are much better than AC10.
    Most of these have 12" speaker so they sound much better than AC10 imo and weigh about the same.
    You can also pick these up much cheaper used.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ceton-reverb-12-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-tweaker-112-15-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ro-blues-king-12-15-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo

if you can get one of these cheap on the used market you'll have got the best 10" combo ever made imo
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-B...-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Black-1274319722390.gc

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...0-watt-class-a-tube-combo-amplifier-with-el34

18. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Was hoping to not even disturb my Boogie setup to go jam, if the AC10 could cover that.

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well no way it can - there is no substitute for Mesa Boogie :)

Henry and gtttrrr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice