‘65 Country Gentleman - a fair price?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by stiv, Feb 5, 2019.

1. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    He looks to be pretty cool, but it's Max Panconi that I was thinking of.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france

Good boy !

stiv likes this.
  3. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I was going to say that the body does not look like a ‘60s Gent shape, more like the ‘70s double cut 6120s. Was also going to note the singly ply binding.

That being said, if you’re in love with the guitar for what it is, maybe point these out to the seller and possibly get it for a reasonable cost as-is?

stiv likes this.
  4. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I dunno.
    I was weighting the option of selling the my last valuable vintage guitar, a 1964 Polar White SG Special (minus the tremolo) that really hardly sees any playing time, then add some cash (I'm already selling most of my low cost stuff) and buy me a real Gretsch that I'd be happy with for the rest of my life (yeah, right... :)).

I may offer the guy the money of a used Country Gent with mod, but if this guitar looks like a scam (and it does) it may even be worse than what's on the ad.

6124Bassman likes this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm not one to pooh pooh the value of vintage Gretsches. I'm usually singing their praises. But IMO, this mule has roughly $0.00 vintage value at this point. To even establish a reasonable cost, you'd have to play it and decide what it's worth to you as a player. And I can't imagine that any seller asking $2500 for this and claiming it's a '65 Gent is ever going to come down to the realistic minimal value of this guitar.

And I would think a '64 Polar White SG + cash should be able to fund a very nice vintage Gretsch. Keep looking.

new6659, 6124Bassman and stiv like this.
  6. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Exactly.
    Other than this, it’s always hard for me to tell someone he’s basically a liar on something he claims it has a certain value.
    I prefer to pass. I’m not out there to make enemies. :)

7. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you’re planning on selling something like a vintage Polaris white SG to fund it I’d pass as well. With something like that plus cash too, you can get a very nice original Gretsch.

Like afire said, doubt he’ll come down to close to what he’d need to for you to buy that at a fair price.

stiv likes this.
  8. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Max Panconi... there's a name out of my past. The Italian police officer turned Brian Setzer style crooner and guitar player. He has/had pretty good chops. He sent me a couple of his CD's. Sorry to hear that he sold off his gear.

stiv likes this.
  9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Go before Brexit messes everything up, or Italy and France go to war. :eek:

stiv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice