‘65 Country Gentleman - a fair price?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by stiv, Feb 5, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    ... to offer for this?
    It’s on sale on a local marketpkace online here in Italy. For what it’s written on the ad, almost everything it’s not original except pickups (not the covers) and the bridge. Everything else (tuners, headstock plate, knobs, switches, Bigsby, pickguard) are replacements. And, although it did exist a black color for this model (without the painted f-holes) that I’m not aware of, it looks like it has been repainted.
    Said that, I really like it. I always wanted a black Gent even if I knew it didn’t exist, and this guitar really keeps me. The guy is asking a whooping 2300 euros (around 2500 usd), but he’s accepting offers.
    Supposing everything he declares is true, It’s been a while since I tested waters on the “vintage” market so I’m asking you fellas...
    What it would be a fair offer for this?
    Here’s the ad pic:
    01E4EF39-2F58-407A-BE90-4A44AC72CF8F.jpeg
    I’ll ask him more of them if I get into it, mainly to avoid a scam. But I’d love to have a rough idea of how much I could spend on this, because it will require to sell some of my stuff.
    Thanks!

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Why does it have a B7?

stiv likes this.
  3. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    Looks a bag of crap, stay away

stiv likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Because it needs a neck reset......duh!:D

stiv and Henry like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Buy a new one, be happy.

stiv likes this.
  6. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Maybe it was the cheapest option around...:)

7. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yeah, the thing is that to be sure it's not (too much of) a scam I'd have to drive 200 km into Rome traffic logjam to give the guitar a try and then decide if I want to sell some of my stuff to buy it. Bummer.
    I just let a good deal on a Streamliner go because I fell in love with this, still I'm pretty sure that something smells fishy.
    I decided to save for a Pro line and maybe for a thousand I'd probably jump on it (after all it has all I need on a guitar), but now... I dunno.
    New ones just don't speak to me as this does (from the pics). I'm kinda strange, I know.:)

8. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    You aren't strange; new has never spoken to me really either. If you want a vintage Country Gentleman I have a 1967, basically all original with original case for much less than that guy is asking for that totally redone one--I'm not even sure the pickups are original on it either. Being original, mine isn't black.

But you would have to be willing to be patient, for while I can get it to Italy without customs, and from where it would arrive I can get it to you via pacco celere for peanuts, it will take some time (i) because the guitar is back in the USA and (ii) I have to get it to Italy when the person is there who can then send it you which is only every 2 or 3 months.

stiv likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Old guitars are much more available here from what i understand but a guitar like that dont hold any vintage value here, it's just a old used guitar. Be patient, save your money for something better.

stiv likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Way too much money for a complete incorrect restoration. Stay away from this. The B7 will not even make it a nice player-grade instrument.

stiv likes this.
  11. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I guess I'll take you guys' advice. I'll keep my money for something better.
    If will ever come this way...:)
    @knavel : that sounds interesting. I visit London very often for gigging purpose every year, I may come by with some money in my pocket and some room in the van. ;)

knavel, loudnlousy and j.s.c like this.
  12. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    But love at first sight rules... You can run, you won't escape !
    I don't really like this one, don't like the price too much, but If you're in love, I will understand.

stiv likes this.
  13. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    @knavel : that sounds interesting. I visit London very often for gigging purpose every year, I may come by with some money in my pocket and some room in the van. ;)[/QUOTE]
    My old Country Gentleman is in America so it's not something you could take back from London! Like I said, I could send it right to your door. But I do have some other stuff here like a 56 Streamliner that may come up for sale, so definitely worth keeping room in that van....

By the way, when I had my band back in Italy, there was a rockabilly guitarist, I thought from Florence - Max? Max Somebody? Would you know who I am talking about? I remember that a rhythm section I worked with used to play with him once in a while. But I could be mistaken--there was also a guy from Biella, much closer to where I used to live (although my ancestral home is Tuscany) and maybe I'm thinking of him. This Max guy was meant to be a great player.

stiv likes this.
  14. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Are you talking about Max Panconi maybe? He’s from Florence, but I think he quit a while ago selling all his stuff. I bough several things from him, like a G tailpiece, a pair of Dynas, and a Chet Pickguard. He’s a bit pricey but ok.
    Btw the best Italian picker (and maybe one of the best overall) is Marco Di Maggio. Rockabilly Hall Of Fame artist, and Gretsch endorser. He’s from Florence as well, and is a good mate. A pub caliber mate. ;)
    I’ll be on the lookout for your guitars. Right now I’m selling all my budget guitars that never get playing time, along with some boutique amp and countless pedals that never leave my gig bag. I just started out, I hope to have some decent quids pretty soon.

j.s.c likes this.
  15. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I am selling ! So far 20K worth and I don't see a dent in all the stuff, neither does my wife who I give the money to. I sold a mint Harrison model withh case for 1900. That thing is worth 1K tops.

16. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Max Pierini ? Firenze too... like his gretsch also...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stiv likes this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

+1000
    Leaving aside all the replaced parts, that's not a '65 Gent. And more to the point, I don't think it's a Gent at all. That's not a 17" body and no 4-ply binding. I'd say it's a pre-Booneville 6120 of undetermined age. Since almost nothing it original, it would be hard to date. Speaking of which, how would the seller even claim to know that it's a '65 if he acknowledges that the plate isn't original? If it never had a mute, then I'd say circa '70-'71. If it had a mute but it's just hidden from the refin, then it would be '62-'69.

stiv likes this.
  18. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I knew I was right posting my doubts here with you fellas around.
    Money in the bank! :D

19. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Never heard of him.
    I’ll ask my mates though. Thanks!

20. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I am fairly sure it was Max Panconi. I didn't know him, I've never heard him play, but it seems odd to just up and quit if one is that good of a player. I have to actually thank Max P even though I never met him, thanks to him I met the musician I trust and rely on most in all of Piedmont who came in and did a gig last minute because the rhythm section of my band at the time blew off our gig to go and play some festival somewhere backing Max Panconi.
    I hadn't heard of Di Maggio. I'll have to check him out.

Afire is right, that guitar is no Country Gentleman it's the exact opposite of a country gentleman; it's an Urban Gangster.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice