Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Vintage Gretsch Discussion Talk about Vintage (pre-Baldwin) Gretsch guitars here.

Notices

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Electromatic

Default 60-62 Gretsch Clipper pickup and bridge

Hi, everyone. I have a Clipper from somewhere between 1960 and 1962 that belonged to my mother. She let someone put in a pickup (looks like a Strat pickup) and "fix" the bridge in he early 1980s. I'd like to, as closely as possible, get it back to its original look and sound. Would someone recommend a pickup, a pickguard, and a bridge (model # or name), and perhaps a reasonable place from where to order these parts? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

anorton is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gretschified

Welcome to the G-T, can you post pictures, and let us see what you need.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Country Gent

anorton, for the pickup, you want an old HiLoTron. The new ones are too deep. The HiLoTron sits on the top of the guitar body, and there's just a little slot underneath for the pickup wire to go through. If you try to put a new one on, it'll sit too high. However, if the person who put the replacement pickup on routed out the top to accommodate it, you may have enough room for a new HiLo, or a TV Jones TV-HT.

Blackrider has old HiLoTrons:

http://home.insightbb.com/~blackriderguitars/

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/pickups.html

The original HiLoTron on a clipper gives a nice, clean sound, but it doesn't give a lot of variety of sounds. No other guitar sounds like it. A new HiLo or a TV-HT will have more output.

For a pickguard, get in touch with Paul Setzer, who is a member of this board. He made a new pickguard for my 59 Clipper (since sold), that was exactly like the old one (except not broken).

The Clipper bridge is a generic archtop bridge. Blackrider should be able to help you with an original or you can get a better one from Stewart MacDonald:

http://www.stewmac.com/

Note: if you do get an original HiLoTron, remember they are very delicate. There is a single small-gauge wire soldered to the coil and grounded to the case. By this time, that solder joint is very fragile, and will break if you so much as look at it. These pickups appear to be held together by the magnet, so if you pick it up it will disintegrate in your hand. Just fit it back together and gently ease it into place and screw it into the top of the guitar. The screws hold all the pieces in position.

If I had an old Clipper without a pickup, I'd put a P-90 on it rather than try to restore it to its original condition. Even a pristine example is probably not going to fetch more than $750.
gigatron is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Electromatic

Here are three pictures of the guitar. It looks as if the person who put in the pickup put a piece of plastic over the body to house what looks like a Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan Fender type deal. Thanks for the quick replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1065526701.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	11559  Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3272778734.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	11560  Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2066248822.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	11561  
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Electromatic

Just one more thing. I want to use this guitar for recording. I have a Telecaster and a Stratocaster and am looking for some variety in my electric sounds. The guitar also has a lot of sentimental value, so I'm not looking to sell it. It doesn't have to be vintage, but I'd like it to sound as close to vintage as possible. Thanks again!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Country Gent

This is the one I used to own. I replaced the old, cracked pickguard with one made by Paul Setzer. Before I got it, a previous owner had replaced the pots.

This is how it sounds.

The bridge base and posts on yours look original, so all you need is the bridge itself. The original one is made of wood, but you could get a nice Compton bridge made by Pops, who is also a member here. It would give you more sustain than the wood one, and it would look good on the guitar.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gretschified

Welcome aboard anorton! gorgeous guitar you've got there

+1 to what Giga has said, especially about the Compton, it will blow your mind like you never imagined a little chunk of metal could!

Tara
Rockin' Repairs
araT is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Electromatic

Wow, gigatron, that sounds beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous. Did you have a Hilo on her? Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but I've always been a plug in and play kind of guy and just starting to tinker with my guitars. You mentioned the P-90 earlier in the thread. Would you mind telling me why you would go with that pickup? Thanks for your time and expertise.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Country Gent

Yes, that was the original 1959 HiLo. I plugged the guitar straight into a Boss BR600 digital recorder and recorded it with the Clean Tubes setting, which has a little bit of delay and reverb. Actually I was only mulling over the idea of putting a P90 on it because I just happen to have one sitting around. The HiLos were often recorded in early 60s pop songs; you can hear them on Beatles and Animals songs, clean and sometimes with a little dirt. If you can't find one, there would be some alternatives, but they would all involve cutting into the top; even a dogear P90. Have you taken that strat pickup off to see what's underneath?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Electromatic

Here are some pics of what was under the pickup. Looks pretty ugly to me. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4100409089.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	11597  Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1331593939.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	11598  
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Country Gent

Yes, clearly someone routed out the top to fit that pickup in there. Still, a HiLotron would go in there and cover up that big hole, although the bottom tip of that V might peek out from under the plastic pickup surround, as you can see from the mark where the old pickup mount was. However, a little dab of wood filler in there and a touch up with some lacquer would hide it pretty well, if it did show.

But since you've got that big hole there, you've got more options; a P90 or a Filtertron would fit in there now. You can get a new HS Filtertron for about $50 (a TV Jones Classic or TVTron will cost about $130) or see if you can get an old HiLo. They use the same mounting ring so they would be interchangeable. For a dogear P90, you'd have to drill another couple of holes that you'd have to fill in if you decided to change back later.

(The two rows of pole screws on a Filtertron stick out of the bottom of the pickup a lot further than on the HiLo, so it won't mount flush to the top of the guitar).
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Electromatic

Gigatron, thank you so much for all your help with this project. I'll post again after I've decided what I'm going to do and finished the work! Thanks again. I'm really glad I joined the forum and downloaded the iPhone app!
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Country Gent

You're welcome. Good luck with the project.
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Electromatic

You could still mount a vintage HiLoTron on top of that wicked route. Don't give up the ghost yet!
Setzer is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Electromatic

Hello again. I decided to go with a Compton stainless steel bridge and a new Gretsch Hilotron.

My new problem is that I'm not sure how to install the pickup. I'll have to do some additional routing, but I've got no place to screw in the pickup as the rout that's there exceeds the size of the Hilo screws. Additionally, I don't know what to use to stabilize the pickup once I've got a hole big enough to drop it down a bit.

As you can see, I'm quite the novice.

Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gretschified

I think if I were you I'd go about making a custom (wider/longer) pickup mount, both to help mount the pickup correctly & cover the butcher work underneath.. you could contact Paul Setzer & have him make you one!

Tara
Rockin' Repairs
araT is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Country Gent

+1 on Paul. He does great work at very reasonable prices.
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Electromatic

Looks like you'll need to do an english mount. What type of HiLoTron did you end up buying?
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Electromatic

English mount setup from the Baldwin years. You'll need to open up the top hole to resemble a Humbucker route.

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Electromatic

OK, I think I might be able to put something like that together. Does anyone know where to find a large chrome pickup surround like the one in the picture?