Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Technical Side of Things Want to get into the nitty gritty of Gretsch guitars? This is the place to visit.

Notices

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Country Gent

Default Dynasonic Pole Piece Adjustment

Since I just got a 6120DE with Dynasonics and didn't know where to start with the pole height adjustments on the pickups. This made a big major difference in clarity for me. I couldn't find anything here on adjsuting teh pole height specific to Dynasonics. This was located somewhere on the other Gretsh site is not all that easy to search and I coudl not locate it. I thought I'd pass this on. A great big thanks to Paul Setzer for getting it to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polepieceadjustmentcopy.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2693  

rcboals is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Country Gent

works good, I used that for reference when I set up the DeArmond...!
dan P is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

Send a message via ICQ to donwood

I think you can find that adjustment on the TVJones website. I think.. Don
donwood is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Country Gent

Paul can be an endless resource.
roadjunkie is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gretschie

I spent about 2 weeks playing with the polepieces on my 2000's, when I first got my Gretsch. I played at all different levels, with all my effects on and off tweaked up and down, back and forth and finally arrived at the perfect settings. Then someone showed me Mr. Setzer's drawing, and sure enough that's just the way mine ended up. Paul sure knows his stuff, I just wish someone showed that drawing to me before I started tweaking.

- Jay
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Perfect pickup and polepiece heights on Gretsch guitars are a never-ending quest for me.
troy6120 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

Paul's diagram is a good reference; I got it from him years ago. But my experience with Dynas is to lower the bass polepieces(the E, A, and D polepieces) down lower than that, because Dynas have such powerful magnets that if your poles are too high the bass overrides your treble. IOW you'll get way more bottom end than you will top end out of your guitar. That's the main reason Chet didn't like Dynas and pushed for the new-at-the-time Filtertrons.
In the same token you can't raise the treble polepieces(G, B, and high E) too high because the magnetic field pulls the strings themselves, resulting in a dramatic loss of sustain.

While Paul's layout is a good starting point, IMO it's just that...a starting point. Use your ears to go from there.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I used that drawing on my 5129 a while back and it really brought that guitar to life. I was really amazed. So I know this works wonders for the DeArmond 2000s.

I want to try it on the Hilo that I have in my SG, but I need to lower the pickup a bit first, and the way it's rigged up that takes a lot of work right now.
Ripley1046 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gretschie

Another thing to remember is shimming the entire pickup, rather than just adjusting the polepiece height has a big effect on tone too.

- Jay
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Country Gent

Yes, a shim is very important. Gretsch ships their hollowbodies out(all that I've bought since 2006) with the bridge pickups way too low. You can either jack up the polepieces to where they look like six fingers sticking up together(which is a tone nightmare) or you have to shim the bridge pickup to bring it up where it's somewhat useful tonally.

These guitars really shouldn't be leaving the factory without shims under their bridge pickups.
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

hmmm, I need to take a look...Scott, I've got an '05 6122-62, an '06 6196 and an '07 5120 w/TV Classics.

I have noticed on all 3 guitars when I blend both pups I usually end rolling off the vol a bit on the neck, but play a lot on bridge only...hadn't noticed any poor tone but maybe I'm onle used to what I've so far heard.

Figure I've issues with them? Better scrounge up the capo and ruler? What do you recommend to cut shim material out of?
dafreeze is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Country Gent

Sorry, I probably should've said all Dynasonic-equipped guitars need the bridge pickup shimmed, since with a Filtertron from what I understand the closer the polepieces the better. I don't own any 'Tron-equipped guitars so I can't say.

I've owned several 'Tron-equipped guitars in the past. Of the recent Japanese guitars I had a 1993 6119-62 and a 1999 6120-60...both with 'Trons and neither needed shimming. Don't know if being pre-FMIC played into it or that they were Filtertron guitars might have had something to do with it. Not sure.

dafreeze, the only one in your stable I'd be concerned about would be the Dyna-equipped Club. If it's like mine was the bridge pickup was way too low. Of course if you like the tone you're getting it's a moot point, but with mine the bridge pickup alone lacked a lot of body compared to the neck pickup alone. A shim made quite a bit of difference.

The shims I have are just plastic ones bought from Blackrider. Actually the shim on my Club I got from Paul Setzer; he had an extra lying around and mailed it to me. But I've heard people say you can cut up old computer mousepads and use that material as good shims. YMMV.

Last edited by Scott; May 16th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Scott is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Country Gent

Dave, they most likely look like this...out of my pro-jet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2713  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2552.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2714  
dan P is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Country Gent

That's different than what is under a Dynasonic on a hollowbody. I don't have a photo of one handy but all they are is a rectangular piece of plastic(not solid; the pickup fits in it) with screw holes on each corner. Reminds me very much of a gasket.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gretschie

Yeah, they look like this...

Like Scott said, I found on my 5126 that the bridge pickup was too low and the neck pickup was too high. I took one of the spacers from the neck pickup (there were 2) and transferred it to the bridge and everything balanced beautifully.

- Jay
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Synchromatic

i used to spend tons of time banging my head againt the wall trying toget my dynas to sound right. experimented with tons of different pole piece adjustments, various strings,etc...

...finally came to two conclusions....

..i got a set of seymour duncan dynas , wound by mj, at a local booteek shop. 11.3 in the bridge, and 10.2 in the neck. the high output allows the pole pieces to be adjusted far from the strings, reducing pull, increasing sustain, yet still with plenty of power.......

.never been so happy with a guitar in my life..

....the only way i could get stock dynas to work, and still, they lacked a certain sweetness the sd's have,was to adjust the poles like setzers drawing and use an output boost pedal....

hope this helps.
RepentOrPerish is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Electromatic

How can u tell if the pickups on a 5129 need to be raised? also how exactly do u adjust the pole piece height? Im rlly noob at this
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Electromatic

Also, if some1 might have a phot of what its supposed to look like that would be super helpful.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Synchromatic

The stock pups on my 5129 were actually set up very well. As I said before I used Setzers drawing and it made a huge difference.

I just dropped in a TV Powertron Plus in the bridge and now the spacers are way too high, so I think I'm going to try the mouse pad thing.

Quote:
how exactly do u adjust the pole piece height?
The screws on the top of the pup next to the poles them selves. Sometimes when lowering them you have to give them a push to get seated correctly, but it's all pretty easy. Just watch the screw driver around those monster magnets, they like to throw tools out of your hands if you're not careful.
Ripley1046 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Country Gent

Any stuff like that for PowerTrons?

Mikei

"A bad day on the guitar sure beats a good day at work."
Flynnski is offline Offline   Reply With Quote