Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Songs in the key of Gretsch Song discussion, tab, chord chart and other forum.

Notices

Old May 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gretschie

Default Help me with those scotty moore chords

Hey, i've trying to learn thats alright mama but i dont find a vid where did explain the chords?

i found this on youtube :

he talks about inversions A's......

anybody who has somey typical scotty moor chords diagrams of this song?

Or just a very good tab of the song

thx

samdevos is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gretschie

I use this shape when I play it

x

You can hammer on/pull off the 12th fret on the high E.
TennisNick is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Electromatic

I play the high A quite similiar

x
x

It sounds real cool when you slide into that A-chord from an E like this

4/9
5/10
4/9
x x
x x

Then you can play the high E in the 12th fret.
MrKingBen is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

justinguitar.com has an excellent vid on these 'triad' chords as he calls them:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-008-Triads.php

The term "inversion" comes from the fact that the lowest note in the chords is not the ground note of the chord; the ground note is one of the other two.

This video shows the basic idea, but as you can see there are endless variations to the theme (even including 4 fingers ). Mostly they include tapping additional notes in the scale, or adding lower notes to the chord.
Michiel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Here are the utube vids:

Old May 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Synchromatic

This is not an instrumental version, but there is an instruction by Scotty Moore. There is also couple The Beatles and Brian Setzer songs.

http://www.ivideosongs.com/song/rock...sley/4700.aspx
Sunshine is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Wise Publications do a marvellous book, Elvis Presley, The Sun Sessions. This is a real gold mine, has the tabs for all the classics. Transcribed by Fred Sokolow and accurate as far as I can hear. Amazon have it. Arf
Arfer MO is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdevos View Post
Hey, i've trying to learn thats alright mama but i dont find a vid where did explain the chords?

i found this on youtube :

YouTube- Rockabilly - Fast Eddie - PtVII - Elvis That's Alright Mama

YouTube- Rockabilly - Fast Eddie - PtVI - Scotty Moore Tuition

he talks about inversions A's......

anybody who has somey typical scotty moor chords diagrams of this song?

Or just a very good tab of the song

thx
That's pretty bad soloing.Not very smooth and kinda jerky plus positions are wrong compared to what Scotty played(Scotty's solo is more "linear")There's more to music than playing the right notes(phrasing dynamics timing etc.).It's not that easy to play either.This song and others is why Chet Atkins is in the R&R Hall of Fame.Scotty and a lot of others were heavily Chet inspired.Tabs gotta be somewhere on web.If you were here would show you solo in couple mins..I love these You Tube egomaniacs who have that s..t eatin' grin on their face when they finish playing!Wish they'd keep their crap for Saturdays at GC. The Best "TROLL"
tyguy is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy View Post
That's pretty bad soloing.Not very smooth and kinda jerky plus positions are wrong compared to what Scotty played(Scotty's solo is more "linear")There's more to music than playing the right notes(phrasing dynamics timing etc.).It's not that easy to play either.This song and others is why Chet Atkins is in the R&R Hall of Fame.Scotty and a lot of others were heavily Chet inspired.Tabs gotta be somewhere on web.If you were here would show you solo in couple mins..I love these You Tube egomaniacs who have that s..t eatin' grin on their face when they finish playing!Wish they'd keep their crap for Saturdays at GC. The Best "TROLL"
Not so fast to judge tyguy; it's sooo easy to diss people making an honest effort. At least appreciate this is a tutorial for starting guitarists, not a showcase for the guy's chops.
BTW, I agree there: there's more then enough (failing) show-offs on utube already. (that's why I'm not posting there ).

The guy in the vid is actually an accomplished guitarist, playing in some famous British group (lost the name there for a moment). He tones it down on purpose, so he doesn't intimidate students.

Give him some credit will ya!
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gretschie

Here are some sources for That's Alright and rockabilly fingerpicking in general. For learning basic rockabilly fingerpicking, try Rockabilly Guitar DVD one by Jim Weider. He starts off simple and then builds on it. For That's Alright and other Elvis tunes, I like The Guitars of Elvis by Wolf Marshall from Hal Leonard. It's got music, tabs, and a CD featuring slowed down instruction. For music and tab there's Elvis Presley, The King of Rock n' Roll again from Hal Leonard.

The key is to learn Scotty's style, not the notes per se. Do not obsess on learning anyone's version of That's Alright note-for-note. It won't be exactly what Scotty plays anyway. A neglected aspect of Scotty's style is his use of little strums with his fingertips. Obviously Scotty strums the open D shaped A inversion, but he often strums the melody notes at the the end of the measure rather than fingerpicking them. Various Youtube clips illustrate this, but you have to watch Scotty, not someone trying to teach his technique.
Fredo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gretschie

well i bought this dvd hope its any good

samdevos is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
Not so fast to judge tyguy; it's sooo easy to diss people making an honest effort. At least appreciate this is a tutorial for starting guitarists, not a showcase for the guy's chops.
BTW, I agree there: there's more then enough (failing) show-offs on utube already. (that's why I'm not posting there ).

The guy in the vid is actually an accomplished guitarist, playing in some famous British group (lost the name there for a moment). He tones it down on purpose, so he doesn't intimidate students.

Give him some credit will ya!
My bad.Thought he was another Ego Tube showoff.This is a pretty hard tune and solo though for starting guitarists.If they're just starting maybe 'bout 5 yrs down the road to sound right. The best, "TROLL"
tyguy is offline Offline   Reply With Quote